Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r727pierce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Shower cartridge installation
    I have replaced a Moen cartridge in my shower. I did not notice the position of the old one when I removed it. Now I have very little water pressure. How do I find the right position for the cartridge?

Thank you!

>Moved from Forum Help<
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Before I did anything I would remove the shower head and turn on the shower. Are you getting a strong stream out of the open shower arm? If so then the problem's in the shower head. If there's a small rubber washer with holes around the edge then pry it out and toss it. Reinstall the shower head and try again. Better now? Let me know! Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2008, 03:54 PM

Moen cartridges can be installed in any position. The only problem you will have is the hot and cold being reversed. If this is the case all you have to do is rotate the brass stem 180 degrees and the problem is fixed.
    As far as low water pressure, you either have a clogged shower head(as tom stated), got a faulty cartridge(not likely), or have problem either in the valve body or in the piping leading to the faucet. Is your faucet a posi temp? If so you must have equal pressure at both hot and cold to have pressure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faucet cartridge installation [ 1 Answers ]

Sir: Recently I installed a Moen cartridge in a bathroom sink faucet, after which the cartridge worked well. A few days later, when turning the handle right as you look at it in order to get cold water, a loud noise would emit almost like their was air in the pipe. The water pressure would weaken. ...

New shower cartridge leaks [ 1 Answers ]

To try to correct a leak in my single lever American Standard shower head I replaced the ceramic cartridge. Because I was in a hurry I decided to by an immediately available cartridge with a diverter. I would then grind off the diverter portion that sticks out. All was find however the show still...

Installation of Moen faucet cartridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old Moen bath/shower combination faucet. I had to replace the cartridge due to a leak. Now I cannot get enough water to go to the shower head. When I pull the diverter in the faucet the water pressure seems to be too great for the diverter to work and I get just a dribble of...

Identifying a shower cartridge [ 1 Answers ]

I know that a shower cartridge is most commonly identified by how it looks. However, I came across one recently that I cannot id. It's a single handle, turn to open and adjust valve. The acrylic knob is held on by a metal clip inside the handle (no screw). Behind the knob are the screws holding on...

Remove shower cartridge [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Moen shower control, about 20 years old, no model number evident. The flow, both hot and cold, seems to have gradually diminished. The handle freely moves to both extremes as well as off-on. I tried to remove the cartridge to look for a clog, but couldn't figure out how. I was able to...

View more questions Search