Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tck44 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 01:35 AM
    Probability of Winning the Lottery
    Hi folks,

I'm running through a practice exam for a Stats midterm I have next week. There is one question in particular where I'm not sure how to get to the answer provided:

"In an instant lottery, your chances of winning are 0.2. If you play the lottery five times and outcomes are independent, the probability that you win at least one time is..."

The answer given is 0.6723.

Can anyone help me wrap my brain around this one? Not sure how to get to that particular solution.
    tck44 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 02:07 AM
    Never mind.. I figured it out. :)

For each play, you either win or you don't. These are, of course, Bernoulli trials, so we can apply the binomial probability formula.

I'm embarrassed not to have realized that before, but we'll chalk it up to the late hour. :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 07:38 AM

Correct! The easiest way is to subtract the case when you lost all five times from 1.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odds / probability winning fake lottery [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Zach. I have one question. It is not for any homework/schoolwork/college assignment etc, just a personal question. Also please note that this question is not regarding any actual lottery, there are no item prizes, money, or anything of any value to win. Assume for all intents...

Probability with the lottery [ 2 Answers ]

In the Maryland Lottery game, the player chooses six different integers from 1-40. If the six numbers match )in any order) the six different winning numbers drawn by the lottery, the player wins the grand prize which starts at 1 million. For each $1 bet, then player must pick two sets of six...

Non Winning Lottery Tickets [ 5 Answers ]

Can I claim non-winning lottey tickets on my taxes?

Best method for winning the lottery [ 20 Answers ]

What method of playing the lottery has the best chance of winning, by letting the computer select the numbers or by the Player selecting the numbers?

View more questions Search