Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 27, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Lesson learned
    Many of you that ever read my posts know I used to work with the Justice Dept in a position that was classified Law Enforcement, and work for years within the State of GA as a POST cetified law enforcement officer.

Well I had never in all my years ever actually used my own "mace" pepper spray. I had been in situations where people were hit with it from other officers but I had never used in in real life.

Well today ( this morning) I had a somewhat unwanted dog in my yard, its owner had already told me that it could bite. So I still have police grade mace, and decided to use it. So I shook it up, aimed and shot,
    Guess I missed the part of the class where they warn you about checking for the wind.

Any one else got any good OC, pepper spray, mace stories
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 27, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Sorry to hear about your encounter Fr Chuck and I am glad you are okay!

We have had a few stray dog problems too. My dog was attacked one night and the Animal Control people advised me to buy some mace. The gun shop where I bought it gave me these two suggestions:

Go deep in the woods and spray it on a tree to "see what its like". I was instantly made aware of how even the slightest breeze would affect it.

Also, if you are really in a jam where the dog is charging you and about to jump up in an attack, its wise to point your hand way out in front (gives the dog "bait" - ugh, I know, verrrry scarey!) but that is so you protect the hand holding the spray can, enabling you to get a good squirt of it off.

So I practiced like that too. Must have looked the bloomin' ninja fool out there in the forest, LOL but I live without fear now roaming freely through my woods. Lets hope its good for wild hog, I sometimes hear sounds that suggest they may be present too?? :eek:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 27, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Hey, I had to use mine on a dog too!! Hope yours didn't get you too bad.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Hey, Chuck,
    Thank you for the information. Personally, never owned any mace, of any kind.
    But, would like to ask... does your county have a leash law?
    If the owner has already told you the dog will bite, what's it doing in your yard? Any dog that has a known history of biting others, should not be allowed by the owner to "run free".
    Personally, I would talk with the owner about keeping the dog in a safe place. If that doesn't work, I would call the local Police or Animal Shelter!
    We have many, many dogs here in our local county in SouthWest VA, near the KY and TN state lines. Some roam freely, but not many. If any dog is a known "biter", that dog is reported to the local Animal Shelter. It is then picked up, and the owner is contacted. I personally, would talk with the owner, about the dog being in my yard in the first place. It doesn't matter if you don't have a fenced-in yard. What matters is that the dog running free, just waiting for the next person to get mad at.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Learned something VERY important tonight... [ 4 Answers ]

Im back... for now, but I learned something that I thought was pretty cool tonight... so I thought I would share. Driving home tonight I was albe to listen to a band that I thought I would NEVER be able to listen to again and ENJOY because of my EX... and I LOVED them again for the 1st time! It was...

A lesson in spyware [ 4 Answers ]

Is Spyware a simple concept ? I read This piece and felt compled to share it with you. What do you do to combat spyware infection? Yes, Nez, I know you use Linux smartie pants ;) Personally I find surfing with Paranoid Mode fully engaged and a nice shiney Tin foil hat works a treat.

What is the lesson behind the Prophecy? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, What is the lesson and message behing the Prophecy is Daniel chappter 3 about the image made of Gold? What do you think it is? Take care, Hope12 :o

View more questions Search