Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wluo6129 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Garage door open by itself
    Dear expert:

Recently my garage door has some problem. Sometimes after I pressed the remote to close the garage door, it opened again by itself. I tried to buy another new remote control, but it happened again. But this would not happen if I used the wall-mount unit. Does anyone have any idea about what is wrong and how to fix it? The garage door opener is Craftman, but I am not sure about the model.

Thank you for your assistance!
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Oct 7, 2008, 07:25 PM

I am not an expert on this at all, but I would have to think that perhaps a neighbor, using a code reader when you open it, is getting your code and opening it as a prank, or maybe it's a thief? (I hope not) I assume that a wall-mounted unit is not wireless, and does not transmit a signal through the air, right?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 07:44 PM

Check the electric eyes at the bottom of the door. That is the safety feature that keeps the door from closing on a child or other person. There has to be a clear line of sight between the two receptors on each side of the door near the floor. If not the door receives a signal not to close.

Oct 8, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Hi, smearcase and hauser5:

First, thank you for your answer on this.

The wall unit is not wireless. This never happened before but just recently. It is not theft, either, since nothing is lost (Thank God!! ). But it is unsecure!

I am not sure are there electric eyes available for the garage door, since it is pretty old (probable more than 10 years). But I will double check.

If it is something too sensitive or similar code with my neighbor's door opener, anyway to fix it? (the opener has the smart learn feature instead of DIP switch).

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 09:40 AM

Your door also has a travel adjustment that may be allowing the door to go down to far, that extra pressure at the end of the travel can make it reverse. Close the door while you are inside observing. When the door hits the floor does the track bow upward a few inches, if so adjust.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 06:06 AM

You may want to clear the codes, then relearn all of you remotes to eleminate any extra programmed remotes.
    You could disconnect 1 of the wires at the Operator to eleminate a possible short from wall mounted remote. Then disconnect at wall remote to reveal intermittent contact of wall remote.
    You may want to disconnect remote or turn off power to operator to keep from coming home to an Empty House, until you figure it out. Good Luck.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 07:55 PM

Older Craftsman openers used a pressure sensitive switch as a safety device rather than the light beam. The problem is in the door itself and not the remote. Note at what point the door reverses and look for something that is either hitting the door or causing it to bind in some way. Operate the door manually, look and feel for something causing it to hang up at that point. While operating the door manually check to insure that the spring pressure is equal and that the door is level. I had one do the same thing, took me for ever to figure out what was happening and now I can't remember what it was. I think one of the springs had slipped. There is an adjustment for the downward pressure.

Oct 21, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Dear all:

First, thank you all for your help on this issue.

I checked my garage door and there is no electric eye for my garage. I tried to re-learn the remote, used a new remote control, used the lock function of my wall button, but none of them work. I also checked if the track bow upward, but it seems no problem to me.

Recently I found out that even I used the wall button to close the garage door, it still opened by itself. I will try again as what hkstroud and stratmando suggested this weekend. Hopefully it would work this time.

For now, I will probably unplug the operator to make sure the security of the house. But if anyone have any idea or suggestion, your help is highly appreciated!

Oct 21, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Oh, forget to mention. This happened irregularly. Not everyday. I have no idea about what triggered it and when is next time.

Oct 21, 2008, 07:34 PM

In post #5 I suggested observing the travel, try that too this weekend.

Oct 23, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Hi, ballengerb1

Sorry I missed your suggestion. Can I am not sure what you mean the "track". Would you please explain it a little bit more?

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2008, 06:46 PM

The track is the pole thing that connects the motor to the door, a traveler mechanism runs up and down this track pushing the door closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Remote doesn't open garage door. [ 11 Answers ]

Remote doesn't open garage door. If I press the button within the garage, it will open or close the door. The battery in the remote is new. The built in car opener doesn't work either. At one point, door would open with the remote for several days and then it wouldn't. This happened on two...

Light on Craftsman Garage Door Open will not turn OFF, when Open. [ 8 Answers ]

I purchase a new Craftsmang ½ hp Garage Door Open and found out in the Problem Section that if I have the door open and cross the safety sensor beams the light will turn ON automaticlly. I hate this feature because my kids constatnly run in and out of the garage door when it is open, so the light...

Garage Door open indicator [ 4 Answers ]

We have just moved into a new house with an attached garage. It’s been nice weather so we have been leaving the door open. However we have forgotten to close it when we go to bed at night. We live in a fairly safe neighborhood. We should just check to see if its closed each night but I thought...

Garage door wiil close but not open [ 2 Answers ]

Our garage door challenger photo sense model p1534 will close with switch but will not open what's wrong?

Garage Door won't open fully [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lift master garage door opener. It works fine on the downward trip but on the upward trip the door stops approx 1 foot off the ground. I can put my finger under the door and lift it while it is in motion and it will complete the upward trip without interuption. Little pressure is being...

View more questions Search