Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pumpkn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 05:32 PM
    How to make a 3 year old dog walk with a leash
    I have a 3 year old Golden Retriever that was raised with another dog outside in a pen. He is now living inside my home and doing real well. One of our biggest problems is getting him to walk with me on a leash. He walks me and I'm afraid he will pull me down. Help :)
    Bural21 Posts: 190, Reputation: 18

Oct 7, 2008, 06:16 PM

Buy a training leash, it's a very short leash that'll keep him close to you at all times. When he does obey your commands, reward him with a training treat, and when he doesn't, don't give him the treat. When he starts to obey more often then not, switch to a regular leash continuing to reward him for obeying you - he'll catch on quicker.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 09:03 PM

I'm seeing a lot of big dogs in head collars now. The claim is that it's easier to control large dogs with them, because you are controlling the head and the dog goes where the head goes. You might give it a try,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't walk on leash [ 7 Answers ]

My Maltese male is almost one year old and started refusing to walk on a leash outside of my apartment at about 4 months of age (unless he knows he is turned to go back home). We have patiently tried all kinds of treats and gentle coaking and games but nothing works. He seems petrified of every...

How do I train my dog to walk on a leash? [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me. I am a new golden retriever owner. He is 18 weeks old. I have never owned a dog that was leash trained. I want to be able to walk my golden on his leash, but he won't budge! Any help would be appreciated.

Dog won't walk with me on leash [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old puppy. She stubbornly sits and won't budge when I try to take her on walks. Anyone know how I can get her to stop doing it and l walk with me?

Won't walk on a leash [ 12 Answers ]

I have 7 y.o. Lhasa apso that I rescues 1 year ago. She was found with her collar embedded in her neck, and it had to be surgically cut out. She will not walk with a leash, and she is a different dog if I even put a collar on her (and I don't blame her.) She actually visibly shakes sometimes...

View more questions Search