Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcnorris Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 04:55 PM
    401K Company Match
    I had a 401K plan with a company the last 9 months. I had 10% of my paycheck deducted toward this plan but when I was recently laid-off, the company did not match a single cent towards the plan. I this legal?
    happytohelptoday Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Oct 7, 2008, 07:11 PM

You have to be vested to receive the company match. Read through your plan or contact your plan administrator. Typically you have to be at a company 5 yrs and you are considered vested, which means you are entitled to the company match. If you terminate from the company for any reason and are not vested you are not entitled to the match
    SusanYeattsCFP Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 01:04 PM

The answer to your question really is "maybe". Many, but not all, plans have a vesting schedule as mentioned above. Some have other loopholes that make the matching portion of the contribution optional under certain circumstances. Consult your plan documents or plan administrator for the specifics of your plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renigging on 401k match [ 3 Answers ]

My employer sent out a memo last year stating that she was going to match our 401k's for 2006. After the memo, she supposedly made mention in a meeting that she changed her mind due to decreasing profits. No one heard this statement and there were no memo's with this information. The plan that...

401K Transfer to Different Company [ 2 Answers ]

My company division was bought out by another company. They automatically transferred my 401K. I was vested with the old company, but the new company does not show the money vested. IS THIS LEGAL?

401k deduction / employer match/ income statement [ 1 Answers ]

I was ask how does this effect the income statement. "I paid the employer match of 401k from the 401k withheld instead of the accrued profit sharing account. " I thought when we made the adjustment that would bring the income statement down by the amount of the match but I was told it didn't effect...

View more questions Search