Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
    To settle an argument
    Does the royal naval college in Dartmouth count as a ship, what do you think?

I say no because it is a brick building and it does and cannot be sailed or float on water. Its on a hill.

My friend says yes, because it is listed as a ship 'the HMS Dartmouth' in the royal navy it is permantly moored in Dartmouth and it has all the things that a ship has, such as; a mast, a deck, a crew, a captain, a chaplaincy, it flies the white ensign and when you leave the grounds you technically count as going ashore, aside from the fact that it is not sea worthy.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 02:57 PM

You are confusing. The HMS Dartmouth was decommissioned and sold for scrap in l930. There could not two of them with the same name. RN wouldn't do that. So what ship do you mean that is permanently docked in Darthmouth.

If it is not a ship, it won't be counted as a ship. No the Royal Navy College is not counted as a ship.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 02:58 PM

More than one ship bears the same name, the currant HMS Dartmouth is the RNC
    The thing is it is counted as a ship by the royal navy its listed in their list of ships, but still I think 'if it hasn't ever or can't float on water its not a ship'
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 03:57 PM

If it is on the list of official ships of the Royal Navy, it is a ship as they see it. Maybe it is necessary to comply with law reagrding allocation of the budget?

Here is wik's definition under heading of
    List of Ships of the Royal Navy:

This is an alphabetical list of all the names of ships that have ever been in service with the Royal Navy. Many of the names have been re-used over the years and thus represent more than one ship.

Altogether over 13,000 ships have been in service with the Royal Navy.[1]

Note that, unlike many other naval services, the Royal Navy designates certain types of shore establishment (e.g. barracks and naval airfields) as 'ships' and names them accordingly. These establishments are often referred to in service slang as stone frigates.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 04:02 PM

Yea they class it as a ship, but its not a ship is it, really, c'mon it's a building, it doesn't float and last I checked the definition os a ship meant it was a vessle that floatd, it doesn't even look like one, have you seen it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 02:45 AM

Why don't you phone the Naval Academy to ask, and settle the argument that way.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2008, 02:46 AM

Because they'd say in their eyes it is, and it's a biased point of view

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

That was a good argument [ 1 Answers ]

Just couse you never seen something doesn't mean that its not there. Seriously I mean we haven't even explored all of the worlds forests and stuff you know. And if they avoided us for this long then they shoudent have any trouble avoiding us now. And besides werewolfs have the ability to change...

Big argument now he wants it over! [ 7 Answers ]

I am completley fretting at the moment, I got back from holiday on Saturday I went with my boyfriend. On Sunday me and the boyfriend had a huge argument I found out that another woman has been confiding in him and he wouldn't tell me what she was telling him. This led to hauge argument where I...

How to get the work done without going for argument [ 4 Answers ]

I'm married recently .My wife is abit sentimental and so one have to be very careful when he/she interacts with her. In short I feel she is yet to be matured. I want her to continue her studies.But the problem is she has lost interest in it .Though she also wants to complete her graduation...

Unsound argument and invalid argument [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between an unsound argument and an invalid argument? Give an example of each. When you are building an argument for an issue that is significant to you, do you think it is more important to be sound or valid? Why?

Family argument [ 5 Answers ]

Some years back, my in-laws had loaned my brother some money without my knowledge. I came to know of this news much later just by chance. The money was never returned back and no topic had come up to return it. Now, some crisis has arisen and my in-laws are demanding the money back. I am in the...

View more questions Search