Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EVLMAMA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2004, 06:10 PM
    Landlord harassment
    I am going to take my landlord to small claims court what can I claim? He has made no repairs on my apt since I moved in and then he tries to monitor who comes in and out of my apt and how long they stay. He questions my teenager and guest who come to my apt. I have called the police on him since he harreses me even after I get off work at 9:00 at night.
    danielasun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2004, 12:57 PM
    Landlord harassment
    I know that in NJ you can ask the judge to force the landloard to make repairs to your apartment. As for the harassment, the landlord can not go into your apartment. Quoting a site I reference for my questions in NJ, "All leases, whether written or oral, give the tenant 'exclusive possession' of the dwelling unit. This means that only the tenant, or members of the tenant's household, or people the tenant allows in the house or apartment, have the right to be there. The landlord does not have the right to come into the house or apartment whenever he or she wants. In a written lease, the landlord's duty to not enter the tenant's house or apartment is called the covenant of quiet enjoyment. This covenant (promise) means that the tenant has control over who can or can't come into his or her apartment or house. Cite: Ashley Court Enterprises v. Whittaker, 249 N.J. Super. 552 (App. Div. 1991)."http://www.lsnjlaw.org/english/place...ghts.cfm#enter
    I hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Should I refuse to pay rent if landlord is not being responsible about making repairs

Other Spouse's reaction to sexual harassment [ 5 Answers ]

What if your spouse has been a victim of sexual harassment and retaliation for not complying with advances from a co-worker? What rights to I, as the other spouse have? Although the advances were made to my husband, and he did not physically respond to the flirtations, he verbally did, and thus...

Harassment from new landlord and inspections [ 2 Answers ]

My old land lord passed away February 8th ,2006 he owned the building for as long as I lived here since 1973, I had a good relationship with him. His son and daughter took over and the son dislikes me and is angry that I am under rent control. Anway to make a long story short, I have had pets...

Am I a Landlord? [ 7 Answers ]

I invited my 25 year old daughter and her small children to come to my house and live after they were homeless in Florida in the fall of 2004. They arrived in March of 2005. Since moving in she and her small children have ruined my carpet, walls and one toilet. They are slobs and she hasn't...

Is it harassment [ 11 Answers ]

My fiancé works in a restaurant and her manager stands on top of her makes her feel uncomfertable and he has made other girls there very self conscious ( staring at there chest). She reported the problem of him being this way and her other managers said they didn't see it so it didn't happen. He...

View more questions Search