Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syl Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

May 27, 2006, 06:30 AM
    Water conditioners
    We have a Rainsoft whole house water conditioner. It seems to do the job but sometimes I see some pink around the filter faucet and around the drain in the sink where the water can sit. A neighbor said that reverse osmosis is better because you don't use salt but I thought that they all used salt. Can anyone enlighten me about both systems.. pros and cons?
    Thanks for you help.

Syl
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

May 31, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by syl
    We have a Rainsoft whole house water conditioner. It seems to do the job but sometimes I see some pink around the filter faucet and around the drain in the sink where the water can sit. A neighbor said that reverse osmosis is better because you don't use salt but I thought that they all used salt. Can anyone enlighten me about both systems.. pros and cons?
    Thanks for you help.

Syl
    reverse osmosis is the best, the whole house reverse osmosis system cost an arm and a leg to buy and install plus it also cost arm to operate and maintenance

Jun 4, 2006, 08:21 AM
    We had already gotten the Rainsoft conditioner several years ago and a neighbor was talking about the salt that we are getting in our water. From what I read the sodium is almost negligible. For folks on a salt restricted diet, I wonder how bad this is. Does the reverse osmosis system also have sodium in the tap water?

Thank you for taking time to answer my posts.

Regards,

Sylvia

Jun 6, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by syl
    We had already gotten the Rainsoft conditioner several years ago and a neighbor was talking about the salt that we are getting in our water. From what I read the sodium is almost negligible. For folks on a salt restricted diet, I wonder how bad this is. Does the reverse osmosis system also have sodium in the tap water?

Thank you for taking time to answer my posts.

Regards,

Sylvia
    There is no salt in reverse osmosis, it just filter the water ( and kill the bacterials with UV lite)... just buy a small system for cooking and drinking, it cost a lot less than the whole house system... try this site ampac1, you could talk to a live person

Jun 9, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Thank you for all your informaiton.
    Regards, Sylvia
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jun 9, 2006, 09:45 AM
    You can buy a 5 stage filtration system that fits under the kitchen sink. It has two granular activated carbon filters, to remove chlorine, bad taste & odors, a 5 micron sediment filter to remove solids, an R/O filter and a 10" GAC filter to enhance clarity and taste. It puts out great water, but is a bit slow in recovery if you need large amounts of water at one time. Costco and Sam's sell them for under $160; Home Depot a bit more. Also the directions recommend a water softener upstream to keep the R/O membrane from getting crudded up.

Jun 9, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    You can buy a 5 stage filtration system that fits under the kitchen sink. It has two granular activated carbon filters, to remove chlorine, bad taste & odors, a 5 micron sediment filter to remove solids, an R/O filter and a 10" GAC filter to enhance clarity and taste. It puts out great water, but is a bit slow in recovery if you need large amounts of water at one time. Costco and Sam's sell them for under $160; Home Depot a bit more. Also the directions recomend a water softener upstream to keep the R/O membrane from getting crudded up.
    install a larger holding tank if the recovery time is too slow for your usage, but the system also have its limit

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solar Air conditioners [ 1 Answers ]

HI All I am looking for a small solar powered AC unit which I could put in a small room (size 2 x 2 x 1.8 meters). This room is mainly made of glass and I am now using it as a storage room. The AC unit could replace one of the roof panels and I would prefer it to a modular type with little...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Servicing Air Conditioners [ 5 Answers ]

Can I add refrigerant to my 1998 Dodge Caravan air conditioning system?

Air conditioners 120vac vs 220vac [ 1 Answers ]

I want to purchase a window air conditioner. Some say that a 220 vac air conditioner is best, I want to know why. I understand that with the 220vac system, you can have more capacity, more BTU's. I don't need much since the room is small. What the difference?

Portable room air conditioners [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Can you please tell me how much of an area does a 9,000 BTU cover from an air conditioner (portable unit)? Thanks

View more questions Search