Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Oct 7, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Scratchy eye after contacts
    Hey all,

First off let me say that I searched the forum and couldn't find much related. I also tried looking on Google and couldn't find much related (too much advertising garbage out there).

I wear "Night & Day" Contacts which are approved for overnight wear. I wear them overnight. I also have had the last pair in for far too long straight. I know this is bad, and am making a conscience effort to take them out and leave them out for a period more regularly.

This has happened before and my usual remedy was to put my contacts back in as it solved the problem. The issue is that my right eye (left one is fine) is scratchy/irritated every time I blink without my contacts in. It feels as if there is something in my eye, so each time I blink my eyelid makes it feel scratchy...

Is this perhaps just irritation from my eye being used to the lens and it will take time to get used to? Should I get some eye drops for a short time to ease the process? Should I just go straight to the DR?

Thank you...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird213 View Post
    Hey all,

First off let me say that I searched the forum and couldn't find much related. I also tried looking on Google and couldn't find much related (too much advertising garbage out there).

I wear "Night & Day" Contacts which are approved for overnight wear. I wear them overnight. I also have had the last pair in for far too long straight. I know this is bad, and am making a conscience effort to take them out and leave them out for a period of time more regularly.

This has happened before and my usual remedy was to put my contacts back in as it solved the problem. The issue is that my right eye (left one is fine) is scratchy/irritated every time I blink without my contacts in. It feels as if there is something in my eye, so each time I blink my eyelid makes it feel scratchy....

Is this perhaps just irritation from my eye being used to the lens and it will take time to get used to? Should I get some eye drops for a short time to ease the process? Should I just go straight to the DR?

Thank you...

I wouldn't fool around with this - I'd go to a Doctor. You only get one pair of eyes.

There's an expert on the Board - ChihuahuaMomma - and she'll be along soon (I hope).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 05:22 PM

Ok, let me scare the pantaloons off you. I used to wear contact lenses all the time as I am so nearsighted I bump into stuff at night when I get up with no glasses on.

Ok, I used to wear them all the time for years getting new pairs at prescribed intervals. I didn't leave them in too long either and would clean them religiously as well. I never just took them out and used spit to moisten them, etc. I did everything RIGHT when it came to my contacts.

Well, one day I had this feeling of something in my eye when I blinked (like you described) - only it was BOTH eyes doing this. I went to the eye doctor and he said I had GPC. Don't know exactly what GPC stands for but he told me that my under eyelids were inflamed and on a level of zero to 4 my eyelids were a 3. The way they test your eyelids is to turn your eyelids inside out. The dr does this so don't try on your own. Anyway, I was given some eye drops to use in my eyes and told to take out my lenses. I did this religiously for however long he wanted me to do. Then went back for a check up. He turned my eyelids inside out and told me that the GPC was now a 1 and if I wanted to I could TRY and wear my contacts again. I did have the latest, best money at that time could buy. I put in a brand new fresh pair and within one hour I was in agony similar to having razor blades in my eyes every time I blinked. Took the lenses out. Went back to the eye dr. He was a very nice person and a good friend. He told me that honestly since I could not wear the lenses that more than likely I will never be able to wear them again as my GPC was permanently at a level 1 and that the GPC does not go away. Great. Well, since that day Dr. Hanley told me that I have permanent GPC I've worn glasses. I got over not being able to see that great at night and still bump into everything. Yes, I do have plenty of night lights in my home.

Please see your dr asap and please take your lenses out immediately until you are properly checked out. I sincerely hope you don't have GPC like I did/still do.

Let me know what happens and what the dr has to say.

Oct 7, 2008, 07:24 PM

Wow thanks for that td...

It did scare me a little bit, I'll check up on this GPS business and talk to my doctor and see what he has to say.. I have taken them out, but put them back in as I had to drive and am not comfortable driving with my glasses...

The odd thing is that my eyes are fine with the contacts in, but hurt without them.. I will note that after a few hours without the contacts the discomfort died down...

Thanks again...
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 08:20 PM

Twinkers is right. You may just think that overwearing your lenses is "taboo" its serious business. Do you want to go blind? I've seen it happen. I've also seen people that can't ever wear contacts again. Nor can they have laer eye surgery because of the excessive scar tissue they've caused by being irresponsible.

Just like any other medical condition, I can't really diagnose you by hearing a description of what's going on. Besides that, I'm not a doctor.

But this really could be a number of things; corneal ulcer, numerous types of infections. Most eye infections will cause scar tissue on the eye. This can effect vision, effect your decision to have eye surgery, and effect your doctor's decision on how or even IF they will prescribe new lenses to you.

I am an Optician and before I knew better I overused my lenses like crazy, and yeah I got a BAD infection once before and it taught me my lesson. NOW, when I get a new prescription it's for one year not for two, because of the scar tissue effecting my vision. There are certain lenses I can't wear anymore.

This is really very serious, so please don't just brush it off as nothing. Go to your Optometrist or Ophtalmologist.

Oct 7, 2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks CM,

I do have a question that perhaps you can answer for me. I know these lenses are "approved" to continuous wear for up to 1 month. That is also the duration that they are supposed to be used for. Do you think it is smarter to not wear them for a month straight? Should I perhaps wear them for 1 or 2 weeks, then take them out for a day?

Thank you...
    Vision Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 08:46 PM

They are approved for one month, if you are taking them out every night. If you are sleeping in them, cut that in half. If you are sleeping in them, then throw them out after two weeks. And take them out after 6 days and wear glasses for a day, then wear them again for another 6.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    They are approved for one month, if you are taking them out every night. If you are sleeping in them, cut that in half. If you are sleeping in them, then throw them out after two weeks. And take them out after 6 days and wear glasses for a day, then wear them again for another 6.

My Doctor said just because a certain lens CAN be worn for however long doesn't mean I can wear it for that long -
    Vision Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 04:59 AM

EXACTLY. Just because it's approved by the FDA to be worn that long doesn't mean that it's recommended that YOU wear it for that long.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    EXACTLY. Just because it's approved by the FDA to be worn that long doesn't mean that it's recommended that YOU wear it for that long.

Of course, I should have mentioned that that's the same Doctor who gave me the wrong prescription and refused to give me a copy of the written prescription and I had to go to you for advice on what to do and then carry that information back to him to get a refund - :D.
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2008, 05:53 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    Clough agrees: Now, that was a very nice thing to say!!.[/QUOTE]

It is absolutely true - ChiMomma saved me a LOT of money and her advice was absolutely dead on correct.

Oct 8, 2008, 10:06 AM

I had heard the same things from my doctor before too...

Call me stubborn, but I guess I never really listened.. Then I decided that I shouldn't be taking it so lightly :p

Thanks again for the info guys
    Vision Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It is absolutely true - ChiMomma saved me a LOT of money and her advice was absolutely dead on correct.
    I'm so glad, Judy!! I hate to see people being taken advantage of, especially when it's something as serious as your health! I've quit two jobs because I refused to work for doctors that did this to patients. The doctor that I work for now is absolutely by the books, FANTASTIC doctor.

I'm glad you got your refund, Judy. Bad bad doctor!
    diva156 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Bigbird... I know this thread is old but it's the same problem I'm having right now. I know I need to be more religious with taking out my contact lenses, but beyond that did you ever find a true explanation/remedy for this issue? For about 3 weeks now every time I've taken out my contacts it feels like something under my eyelid.

Thanks so much.
    Danni2222 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2009, 05:22 AM

Continus wear contact lenses can be worn for up to the full month but it's best to take regular breaks (like at the weekend) there's no need to half the time of wear or anything like that. They're made of silicone hydrogel which holds a lot of oxygen and is highly permiable. Make sure you go for regular check ups and follow any cleaning regimes to the letter. If you're lenses are starting to give you bother why not try normal monthly lenses which you take out and clean evey night that way you eyes get a regular chance to 'breathe'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No contact even ex contacts you? [ 193 Answers ]

This guy,basicalle an LDR, I fell for broke it off with me dropping the bomb saying that he rather meet someone locally in his area. Then he finally admitted months later that he has been seeing someone. I have been so broken and shattered,I kept asking myself did I ever mean anything t this...

MSN messenger contacts [ 2 Answers ]

I hope someone can give a little help here. Recently I re-installed MSN messenger on my computer. All my contacts were stored and so when I re-installed it they all came back up on the screen (I've been inactive on messenger for the past 7/8 months). The problem is that only 2/3 contacts are...

Contacts [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am 16 years old and my parents think Im mature enough to handel contacts, but I have an astigmatism and I know there are contacts for that but what are they exactly and what does the doctor do when you go to get them? Also I have black hair and pretty dark brown eyes and I wanted to get...

Illusions contacts VS Natural touch contacts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Any one got any info on Illusions opeque colored contacts and Natrual Touch opeque colored contacts? Because I want to order some but my budget is very slim. The discroption of the contacts says that they provide depth to the eye... which gives off the illusion that they color you have is the...

View more questions Search