Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2006, 04:45 PM
    Horrible smell in kitchen
    Please help. I live on the third floor of a house. We have a horrible smell in the kitchen. It comes and goes. It seems to be at its worst when it is damp, humid or if it rains. I have no idea where it is coming from. Sometimes it is so bad, you can't even stay in the room. We don't have a garbage disposal, yet is smells like sewage or garbage. It is a very old house. (1927). The couple on the second floor have it as well. And it sometimes smells in the hallways between floors. The landlord thinks it is a rodent decaying. But it has been 3 months already. We have poured bleach, baking soda down the drains. We have used candles, and bought a variety of sprays and smelling deodorizers but nothing takes away the smell.
    Any ideas or suggestions?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Hi,
    I would put more pressure on the landlord to find out! Your landlord should start by hiring a plumber, to check out all the drains, etc.
    Whenever it rains, or is real humid, or rain is about to start, it means there is a "low pressure" system in your area. This "low pressure" can cause gasses from a septic tank, or a sewer system, to come back up through the septic lines! During "normal" atmospheric pressure, there is enough air pressure to keep these gasses down in the tank, or sewage system.
    We have a shower that is never used, and I have to pour water in the drain every now and then, to keep the trap full of water. If not, then whenever a very "low pressure" system moves in, we sometimes get the same gasses smells coming up in the bedroom, where the shower is.
    Please start some serious negotiations with your landlord, to find where it's coming from. You might even need a lawyer. Best of luck.
    Accent Lighting Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Try purchasing an Ozone Light Bulb. These lamps get rid of smells, smoke and allergems. They are used in emergency rooms.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 22, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Accent Lighting
    Try purchasing an Ozone Light Bulb. These lamps get rid of smells, smoke and allergems. They are used in emergency rooms.
    I like the sound of this. I assume if you have no "foul" odor in the house, it will just make the home smell "clean"?

If so, where can I get one of these bulbs, and how much does it cost?

My house doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell "doctors office clean" either. I would love it if it did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Eyelashes Are Horrible [ 22 Answers ]

I have naturally curly eyelashes that grow in all weird directions. They won't go straight at all and I comb them and everything. I try to use mascara to make them look longer, but it just clumps together and looks awful. How can I get them to be straight ?

Please help! My hair is horrible! [ 23 Answers ]

I just dyed my hair a "dark brown" but it came out to a goth looking black this evening and its horrible! I can't even look in the mirror without crying :( I took 2 showers since dyeing it and some of the color still comes out but when I come out of the shower I still look the same :( I have been...

Horrible husband [ 7 Answers ]

My friends husband has signed over their home to his father in an attempt to hide the equity they have in their home in the divorce settlement is this legal? He also was charged with assaulting her and is now under a two year restraining order which gave her the marital home to live in during that...

Foul smell in kitchen drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a problem with a very bad odor in my kitchen sink drain since the weather got warm. My home is new and is a manufactured home in a park. I have used gel drain openers followed by boiling water and when that did not work I used a box of baking soda, 1cup of salt and 1 cup of vinegar, let...

Help! - Bad smell in Kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

We live in a brand new condo (moved in on June 1), and a few days ago I came home to a horrible smell throughout the whole place (seems to be worst in the kitchen). Today I spent hours cleaning in, around, and under the fridge, as well as sniffing around the whole kitchen and I cannot even tell...

View more questions Search