Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wingslikeadove Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
    My husband wants to adopt my daughter
    I have sole custody of my daughter, her father is unknown to me and her. We don't have oodles of money to afford a lawyer. What are the steps to take action in him adopting her?
    Thank you for any information.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wingslikeadove View Post
    I have sole custody of my daughter, her father is unknown to me and her. We dont have oodles of money to afford a lawyer. What are the steps to take action in him adopting her?
    Thank you for any information.

You would go to whatever local Court handles adoptions - some States are user friendly (particularly in a situation like this), some are not.

When you say her father is unknown, though, do you mean you don't know his NAME or you don't know where he is and he never visits or pays support?

The child cannot be adopted without the consent of the father so you need to locate him and ask for his consent IF you know who the father is.
    wingslikeadove Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    When you say her father is unknown, though, do you mean you don't know his NAME or you don't know where he is and he never visits or pays support?

The child cannot be adopted without the consent of the father so you need to locate him and ask for his consent IF you know who the father is.
    The truth is we don't know who he is, where he is, or his name nor practically what he looks like. I couldn't find him if I wanted to. I don't know if that makes an adoption harder or easier. Either way is a lawyer required?
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 6, 2008, 08:17 PM
    You'll need to determine the father by DNA tests. Get a list together of the men you were with during that time, etc. Then the father would have to sign over his rights before your husband could adopt the child. You won't need a lawyer from my understanding, unless you cannot find the father. Then it gets even more messy... I'm not sure how that would be handled if the biological father could not be found.
    Consider contacting a Pro Bono lawyer, or legal aid? Or see if you can get a free consult from a lawyer who deals with adoptions and get some info out of them for free!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by div2wice View Post
    You'll need to determine the father by DNA tests. Get a list together of the men you were with during that time, etc. Then the father would have to sign over his rights before your husband could adopt the child. You won't need a lawyer from my understanding, unless you cannot find the father. Then it gets even more messy.... I'm not sure how that would be handled if the biological father could not be found.
    Consider contacting a Pro Bono lawyer, or legal aid? Or see if you can get a free consult from a lawyer who deals with adoptions and get some info out of them for free !!

In some States if you have absolutely no idea who the father is, have a list of names or partial names of men nobody can find, the Court will allow the adoption to go through with an Affidavit from the mother stating that she does not know the identity of the father. This happens in cases of sexual assault.

I would go to the Court that handles these matters in your area and get their advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Husband wants to adopt my daughter [ 22 Answers ]

I have been married to my husand for 11 years, and we have 2 children, my daughter is 14 and my son is 9. My husband has been with my daughter since 2 and she has no idea that he is not her biological father, he is my son's biological father. All her records Doctor, school, etc. show her last name...

How does my husband adopt my daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 10 years old, her "father" has been in prison for murder since I was pregnant with her.. Has never met her. I have been with my current husband for 8 1/2 years. He has raised her as his, provided for her, taken care of her. She goes by his last name in school.. she actually...

My Husband wants to adopt my daughter. [ 1 Answers ]

I had my daughter out of marriage and her father has only seen her once he is not in the birth certificate but she has his last name. He has been in and out in jail and would get deported once he gets out he is illegal here we have no contact with him at all. Now I have been married for 3 yrs and...

How my can my husband adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to know how can my husband adopt my 3 yr. old daughter. Since she's been born her biological father has not been seen or heard from. My husband has taken care of her since she was 6 months old. Thank you in advance Fermeka Velez

Ex-husband!Can he adopt my daughter [ 2 Answers ]

I had my daughter in 1997 and became involved with my high school sweatheart again after having her which we started talking again when she was a couple months old. We then moved in together and got married in 2000 we got divorced in 2001 he is still a part of my daughters life and she believes he...

View more questions Search