Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tadlem43 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Dental work needed desperately
    I am disabled and on medicare, which doesn't cover any dental. I was attacked about 2 years ago, hit in my lower right jaw knocking out most of my lower right teeth and 2 on my upper left. I have contacted the local dental society, numerous clinics and organizations, even the local dental college and the cost for me to get any work done is prohibative. Even at the school they need over $5000 and it would take over a year for the work to be done. Is there any way to get dental help? Would a company sponsor me or does anyone know of any way I can get the help I need? I can no longer chew and am having to use my front teeth as 'molars'.. I'll eventually lose them, too, if I don't get help soon. Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 11:40 AM

Are you thinking of bridges or dentures? Perhaps call your local library and talk with a reference librarian who may have some ideas you haven't thought of.

If I were you, I'd even consider calling an area newspaper columnist who might consider doing a feature about the attack and what happened and the aftermath. Our Chicago papers do this sort of thing from time to time and set up a fund to help people such as you.

At this point in time, I suggest you try anything you can think of--contact church groups, charity organizations, social service organizations.

P.S. What about public aid? Woud that pick up the tab?

Oct 6, 2008, 03:11 PM

Thank you for your response. No, there is no public aid.. I've tried everything. I've called church groups, even large evangelicals that will feed the poor oversees but won't help here in the USA. Um.. I won't name names.
    The dental college said that dentures wouldn't be appropriate because of my age, but they suggested implants (at THEIR cost of over 30,000$!! ) or perhaps a couple of bridges until I can have implants done.
    I contacted the Dallas Morning News, several local TV stations, etc. during the holidays last year because I know that many people get into the "holiday spirit" and donate services.. but no one would help then, either.
    I simply don't know where else to turn or what else to do. But one thing I DO know.. I'd love a good salad! Lol
    Thanks again!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 03:18 PM

I cannot believe that in this country of wealth and goodness there is no way to help you.

Flossie (a dental expert on this site) may see this thread. Or perhaps you or I should message her to read it. She might have some ideas.

Why pricy implants? Why not just bridges as permanent fixes for the gaps?

Oct 6, 2008, 05:23 PM

It would be GREAT if someone could have some ideas of where I could go for help. I am, by career, a registered respiratory therapist, but have little pride and have even offered to file or type or trade services.. or most ANYthing to help pay for any services renderd (within my physical ability).. but I digress. It IS sad that so many like myself have to go without proper dental care.
    To answer your question: its my understanding from the dental school that once the teeth have been pulled then bone loss begins. As long as there is something in the bone, it remains intact. The bridges would work, but it is recommended that they be temporary and implants be placed to maintain the bone structure.
    Being on social security, I'll never be able to afford the implants at this rate so I may have to settle for bridges. Right now, though, I'll take whatever help I can get and not look a gift-horse in the mouth (so to speak lol).
    Thank you, again, for your input!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tadlem43 View Post
    it is recommended that they be temporary and implants be placed to maintain the bone structure.
    How old are you? What are your other teeth like as to cavities and if there are missing teeth? If you got bridges, how are the anchoring teeth?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 05:49 PM

Not sure where you are at, but to be honest you can get all of your teeth pulled and dentures for way less than 5000. So not sure what you are wanting. That would cost 5000 dollars?

And of course why implants,
    I have had to have several teeth just pulled since I can't afford other things.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Oct 6, 2008, 05:55 PM

Two partial dentures should not cost more than 5 or 600 at a dental school

Oct 6, 2008, 05:58 PM

I'm 54. I have no other bridges, but several other missing teeth... one one the lower left and one on the upper left (sorry I don't know the numbers.) according to the dental school, I have cap that needs replacing, several frontal facias (?) that need replacing, and need at least one other cap (if not only to hold a bridge.) they didn't tell me about any other specific problems.. only that the student assigned to me would give me more details.
    I do brush and floss daily, but I have had extensive work in the past and can't really answer how that will play into what future work I need to have done. They seemed impressed that with only the bottom of the broken teeth exposed, I have minimal gum problems.
    If cost gives you any idea, they quoted, as I said, about $5000 worth of work stating that would be about 1/3 of what a general dentist doing the job would charge. I'm sorry I don't have the exact answer to your question. Hope this helps.
    Thank you so very much for your answers, questions, and advice!!

Oct 6, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Thank you for all of your answers. Like I said, they have suggested that dentures are not appropriate because of bone deterioration in the future. I don't know why they quote is so high.. I thought that, myself. I'm in Dallas, TX. (maybe that's the problem? Lol)
    (btw, I have checked into dental plans.. most won't cover the work I need, but thank you, anyway)
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Hi tadlem,

I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. Is there no compensation available to you because you lost your teeth when you were attacked?
    I've been able to find only 2 links that you might want to check out if you haven't already.

'Mission of Mercy' to offer free dental care for Leander area

Patients & Visitors: Cost - Texas A&M Health Science Center

Have you contacted any "denturists"? They are trained specifically to make dentures and are usually less costly than a dental office and often fit much better!

Most dentists suggest implants because the implants prevent the loss of bone after tooth removal. If you are young then you have many years of bone loss ahead of you which makes the fabrication and fit of dentures in years to come.

You have the right to have done what YOU want. Right now, perhaps partial dentures are the best route. That doesn't rule out ever having anything more permanent placed.

It IS sad that dentists aren't generous enough to see a need to help those who can't afford. I think every dental office should have to provide a certain number of needy patients a year with ideal treatment. It's just got to feel great helping improve someone's self esteem by providing a much needed smile or bite for them.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 06:35 PM

My in-laws got dentures when they were in their 30s. My mil is now almost 90 and eats just fine with denture relining when needed. A friend of mine had dentures for years and got implants when in her 70s with no problem.

If you were in your 20s or 30s, I'd say somehow get the implants. But you are 54. I agree with Flossie. Go for the partial dentures (if that's the best idea, better than bridges) and consider the implants as future possibilities. The way things change in price and quality, dentists may be giving away implants in ten years.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2008, 03:30 AM

:p @ Wondergirl... I've been in dentistry for 30 yrs+... dentists don't give ANYTHING away as tadlem unfortunately, is finding out :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    :p @ Wondergirl...I've been in dentistry for 30 yrs+...dentists don't give ANYTHING away as tadlem unfortunately, is finding out :(
    Too bad tadlem doesn't live around here. My dentist would give a good deal (and he has in the past--the ol' giving back to the community thing).
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Oct 7, 2008, 10:33 PM

Well you are 54... If I was you I'd get the bad teeth taken out, crowns/filling replaced, and partial denture... it will work fine... bottom line is that extensive dentistry has a fee... even if we as dentists cut our fees, the dental lab charges 100' or 1000's of dollars to make bridges and implant crowns.. just the way it is

Oct 9, 2008, 11:59 AM

Sorry I've been out of pocket for the last few days. My uncle had heart surgery, so I've not been online..
    OK.. Mission of Mercy is presented by the Texas Dental Association. It is a volunteer 'event' they put on about every 6 months in different parts of the state.. the one this month is in Leander... outside of San Antonio, I believe. I have applied for several appointments during the Mission of Mercy events, but either they are already booked, or as in this case, its simply too far for me to trave. Texas is kind of big ;) so I can't get to all of them. Same with Texas A&M.. Too far to travel for the work I need. If it were a one-trip appointment, that might be different, but still would be difficult for me.
    Second... though I appreciate all of the suggestions, I simply don't have the money for anything. As I first stated, I'm on social security disability, but am willing to trade my services or to do office work or whatever I can within my physical capabilities to compensate on whatever level I can for any services rendered. I'm not asking for a hand-out!
    So.. now your asking "why haven't you got a job"?. because for over 2 years now, I've had 4 jobs, they dismiss me when they find out I'm disabled. "over-hired, lay off"... whatever. And when I tell them up front that I'm disabled, they won't hire me at all! It's a 'catch-22' problem. So.. I'll continue to offer to work as I can for anyone who will help me out getting the dental work I need... and STILL try to find a job that I can do in the mean time.
    Flossie.. you're right. Dentists don't GIVE anything. And I suppose that's their right.. but it is a very needed expertise and donations would benefit not only those of us who need it, but also them. The tax write off alone should well cover dontated services. But, again, I digress...
    Is there a way for me to get a grant or company sponsor for the work I need? Is there some sort of organization (I tried United Way) where I can trade my services? Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm ruining my front teeth using them as molars. Before long, it won't matter, I won't have anything left. I really am getting desperate... and very discouraged.
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! Pardon my attitude.. I'm just very frustrated.
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2008, 06:55 PM

Tadlem,
    Why don't you try writing a letter to you local dental hygiene association? Explain your history and circumstances. Ask them to please share your story with their members. Tell them you are willing to trade your office duty services for dental work. I am sure at least one of the hygienists will take it back to their employer. It would be an excellent form of advertising, especially if you let the newspaper know what the dentist has done for you. As far as I see it, it's a win/win situation.

If I lived in Texas, I'd definitely be an advocate for you and fine SOMEONE to help you out.

Don't give up. When you least expect it you'll get the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home-based typing job desperately needed [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any genuine home based typing or online jobs? I can't afford anymore scams where you have to pay for information, only to find out that the job entails scamming other people! I don't need to "get rich quick" but I do need to be able to pay my rent! Please help. I'm desperate!

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

Divorce needed desperately, cheap! [ 6 Answers ]

The usually story, I have not money and need a divorce. She is in jail ( drugs, shopplifting, etc) She took all the money we had, she has left several times within the 12 year marriage. Has a boyfriend in Georgia, threatening my life. The two kids have always been with me. I am struggling to make...

Help Desperately Needed [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya! I have no idea in which category my problem belongs to but I'm still going to post it here though I'm nt really a teen... I'm almost 12... anywayz.. I have no idea what I should take up as my career... now you must be thinking, I'm so young and I have a lots of years to think about it but...

View more questions Search