Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    howard330 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Changes to a contract after it is signed
    I emailed a friend an executed copy of a legal agreement. I explined to here that I reserved the right to make changes to exhibit A & B. she signed the signature page of the contract and faxed it back to me. However, about a week later she emailed me and stated she will no longer negotiate and that any she is opting out of any existing agreements. She states that since I was going to make chnages to the initial contract she was not legally bound it it. Is this true? Why or why not?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2008, 10:25 AM

I don't believe this is true. If you made changes and she didn't agree with them, then at that point she could opt out.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 12:15 PM

I assume that your provision that you reserved the right to change the exhibits was not actually a part of the contract.
    But the cover email gives you an option to change the contract and I think it is implied that you also give her the right to change the contract, which she did she nullified it.
    If you had put that clause in the contract, you would have to have addressed how cost impacts were to be addressed.
    I think your contract will be considered a draft because it was open ended, because of the language in the cover.
    That' s how I would see it based on the limited information available.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2008, 12:33 PM

Well you have gotten two different opinions. Frankly I agree that it could easily go the way smearcase said, but it could also easily go the way I said. There are other factors involved that would dictate which way a judge goes.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Well you have gotten two different opinions. Frankly I agree that it could easily go the way smearcase said, but it could also easily go the way I said. ther are other factors involved that would dictate which way a judge goes.

I'm a little baffled why anyone would sign a contract and agree that the other party would have the right to make "changes" in the exhibits - whatever the exhibits are. The usual course is to sign the contract as it is, initial the pages and then the contract is binding.

I don't think a Court will uphold a contract basically signed in advance (which this is) - you can't contract when you don't know what you are giving and/or getting. When you sign a contract all terms/conditions must be spelled out. I doubt you can sign a binding contract when that is not the case.

Of course I have no idea what the exhibits are or how important they are.

I've seen exhibits changed and contracts amended.

I'll be curious to see how this one plays out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract Changes after Accepted and Signed Contract [ 12 Answers ]

We recently had an offer accepted on a house. Both parties signed the contract. Our lawyer signed off on the contract. Their lawyer put a contingency that they find suitable housing. This was not mentioned at the time they accepted the offer. Upon the sellers accepting our offer, we listed and...

Being sued for breach of contract signed under duress [ 5 Answers ]

After hurricane damage - we signed a contract with public adjuster - under extreme duress of being very vulnerable and not knowing what to do to recover damages - to put in briefly he did nothing - out of frustration we hired atty who settled case against insurance carrier - now public adjuster...

Dealer won't sell me vehicle after I signed the contract. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Last week I purchased a brand new 2008 Mazda Tribute from a Mazda dealership in Agincourt Ontario. The contract was signed and I left a $500. Deposit. I was to pick up the vehicle a few days later as it was being rustproofed. The vehicle I chose in the lot matches the vehicle in the...

I signed a contract for a small breed dog [ 30 Answers ]

OK I recently traded my rings for a dog ,he is havanese which he is so cute but any ways the woman made me sign a contract saying I would get him neutered ,but she lied to me about his age . She said he is 5 months old and he is really like 2 years old. Should I honor the contract?since she lied to...

Lease contract not signed by all residents [ 2 Answers ]

Is a Texas Apartment Association (TAA) binding if all parties on the lease have not signed the contract?

View more questions Search