Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Toilet leaking from tank to bowl!
    I replaced stopper (flapper) but the toilet is still leaking. How do I fix this?:eek:
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 08:43 AM

Do you mean the tank is leaking into the bowl, or the tank is leaking out of the tank - like onto the floor?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 08:48 AM

Tank is leaking into bowl
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 08:54 AM

Ugh! I own a ton of rental properties and we deal with this all the time. It often comes down to trial and error to get it to stop.

There are different brands / sizes / dimensions of toilets and likewise for replacement "innards".

Have you watched it flush a few times with the lid of the tank off? Sometimes if you just watch it you can see what it's doing / not doing.

You might just try a different flapper or adjusting the chain that connects to it may be set too short.

It's possible that the ring that the flapper seals down onto has a crack or leak and that's the source of your problem.

I fix these all the time because I refuse to pay a plumber huge money for something this "simple". I often have to "fiddle" with them quite a bit to get the leak to stop.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 09:10 AM

Your flapper and the tank flush valve need to make a near perfect seal. Check the lip of the valve for nicks or a build up of calcium or other crud, scrape with your finger nail or CLR.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2008, 09:14 AM

Check the seat itself wher the flapper sets for any nicks or rough spot, if that is the case you will need to remove the toilet tank and replace the flush valve assembly, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water still leaking from toilet bowl.after replacing toilet! [ 6 Answers ]

The water was leaking from the bowl of our toilet and we were getting "phantom flushes"... water was also seen trickling into bowl... SO, we replaced the whole toilet as it was pretty darn old. We put in a new wax ring, installed the toilet correctly as far as we can tell... and now the water leaks...

Toilet Bowl/Tank Fill [ 2 Answers ]

When we flush our toilet once the tank fills as does the bowl and we have an incomplete flush. The second flush fills the tank and empties the bowl completely, and the bowl does not refill, but the flush is complete. We have plunged, used unclogging chemicals, scraped rim feed holes, checked that...

Leaking toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

The tank of my one piece commode loses water slowly. It's not leaking onto floor. I have replaced the flapper & examined & cleaned the flush valve seat. It does not appear to be pitted or cracked. Any suggestions?

Water level in toilet bowl and tank goes up and down [ 2 Answers ]

We have two bathrooms, back to back, and when we flush the toilet or run the shower in #2 the water level in the toilet bowl and tank in # 1 rises and falls several times. You can hear, and I've seen, the fill valve turning on and off in tank #2. Any idea what the cause of this is? Could the vent...

Toilet tank and bowl [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet when flushing is filling up the bowl and overflowing instead of emting the bowl- tried plunger - did not work? I hate to call a plumber if I can fix this myself Sheryl

View more questions Search