Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pheebs Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 12:38 AM
    Bi-cultural wedding/wedding tips in general
    The couple: taiwanese, vietnamese, born and raised in America (both still very cultured, first generation)

Or any other type of bi-cultural wedding.

Family that can't fly here?
    Friends?
    Alcohol?
    Bride's family pays?
    Groom's family attending?
    Hotel?
    Wedding location?
    Food?
    Language?

Please tell me anything and everything that you know, have an opinion about, think about, experienced, ANYTHING!

I've been attending a few weddings here and there and my boyfriend and I have really gotten to thinking about it. But, we're in this huge predicament about our cultures, though they aren't THAT different, but small things here and there. And of course, the whole family guests and who's paying and who's inviting who... all that lovely stuff :)

Just wanted to get some ideas early on (yes, before there's even a proposal!)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 03:32 AM
    Hi, pheebs!

One thing that I would advise is having a wedding that incorporates at least some of the traditions concerning weddings that would generally take place in the individual cultures of the bride and groom as well as those related that are attending so that there isn't a lot of culture shock and perhaps disappointment for any people.

I do have an experience concerning culture shock at a wedding. If you're interested in hearing about it, please let me know.

I've been involved with helping couples and performing musically for weddings for over 36 years.

Hopefully, others will also come along to address your question.

Thanks!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 1, 2008, 01:40 PM

Hi Pheebs. I would go to a bookstore, and look for a wedding book on tips for bi-cultural weddings/marriages, and also an American one, like maybe Martha Stewart weddings, for some idea's on how to combine the two.

You might also want to do some research on the internet for customs and etiquette of the two cultures.

I'm not sure what you meant by "Friends?" Do you mean should you invite them? If that is what you meant... of course you should.

I'm also not sure about your question about family that can't fly here. Were you looking for idea's to make them feel included?

Wedding location? Do you mean for the ceremony or the reception?. or both? Or do you mean somewhere neutral and in between where it would be easier for others to attend. Like a different country in the middle?

It's a little foggy to me. Why are you asking before the proposal? Perhaps you want to be prepared should that happen, but I don't quite understand. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Plans for court house wedding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi!my name is toya i'm about to get married next month. I only have low income. Of course we are having a court house wedding, but what else can help us out like where to get dress, where to get suite, where to get rings.as well what can we do after wards i plan to have something att my house.so i...

My fiancŽ called off the wedding just the day before the Wedding [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I dated my Ex-( not used to say that yet) Fiancé for about 3 years. He always had issue with making decisions( any) and commitment( something in his childhood) but he knew clearly that I wanted marriage. When I brought up the topic, he freaked out and we had a lot of arguments over it as I...

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

Wedding Attire for 5 P.M. Wedding [ 3 Answers ]

What is the appropriate attire for a middle-age women at a 5 pm wedding and a 6 p.m. reception?

Tips for an extra steamy wedding night [ 4 Answers ]

I'm due to be married and we haven't had sex before can someone give me some tips for a steamy wedding night I'm terrified of havinbg sex as you may find if you read my past posts thank you

View more questions Search