Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRiGRL Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Zoloft... Pregnancy...
    Does anyone know if taking Zoloft is bad if I am trying to become pregnant? I have done some research but I haven't got an actual answer! And when I don't take my medicine I usually get panic attacks because that what it is for! Im just worried that it will affect my attempt of becoming pregnant.. but I also don't want to suffer panic attacks for 9 months!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 08:43 PM
    Well my dad is a psychiatrist and prescribes Zoloft a lot, and he just said to me that it is not really known how Zoloft affects pregnant and breast feeding mothers, so that's probably why you're not finding anything definite on the net. They don't know how it effects the pregnancy because there have not been enough tests done on pregnant women who take Zoloft. So, often women are advised to go off the drug for the duration of their pregnancy. However, he thinks (and I do too) that you should consult the doctor who prescribed the Zoloft to you, and see what he/she says. Every case is different, and it's never a good idea to alter medication without your physician's advice. Plus, the doctor might have an alternate treatment for you to try while you're pregnant. So please ask your doc, and good luck to you! I just had a baby a month ago. :)
    BRiGRL Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2006, 09:14 PM
    CONGRADS on having your baby!. I mean we thought I was pregnant but I wasn't.. I don't know if you have seen any of my other posts! But I just want to make sure that there won't be any long term affects on the baby... and I don't know if you have ever had a panic attack?. but they are def not fun... I thought I was having a heart attack when I had my first one! Well tell your dad thanks.. and thank you also.. Ill keep you posted!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 09:29 PM
    No I've never had a panic attack, but I know from a friend who has them badly that they can be really awful and intolerable and the prospect of going off Zoloft is probably not very appealing. I know I wouldn't want to unless I really had to!

But I just want to make sure that there won't be any long term affects on the baby...
    Yeah and that's the part that sucks, because they don't really know for sure, not having done enough clinical trials. Several psychiatric drugs are in the same "unsure" category. My biological mother was actually on 2 older psychiatric drugs while she was pregnant with me (Valium and Stelazine), and as far as I know I have no ill effects, but I am also not able to find any information about possible effects, which is frustrating. Once again, there were never enough clinical trials done on those drugs.

Oh by the way my dad also said that your doctor should take into account the severity of your panic attacks when he advises you. Anyway good luck, and thanks about the baby, he's awesome! :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 05:40 AM
    Hi, Brigrl,
    As another answer said, PLEASE talk with your Doctor about this, before you get pregnant. A good site is drugs.com, for possible side effects from all the different types of drugs.
    http://www.drugs.com/Zoloft/index.html

The above link does not give any side effects in regards to pregnance, but also suggests you talk with your Doctor, before becoming pregnant while taking this medication. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    RachelM05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2007, 01:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BRiGRL
    Does anyone know if taking Zoloft is bad if I am trying to become pregnant? I have done some research but I havent got an actual answer!! And when I dont take my medicine I usually get panic attacks because that what it is for!! Im just worried that it will affect my attempt of becoming pregnant..but I also dont wanna suffer panic attacks for 9 mths!!
    Hey Brigrl...

Seems as if I am in the same boat you are. Accept... I am already 6 weeks pregnant. I'm seventeen years old and I get very severe panic attacks, and I also have a history of depression that is why I take Zoloft. My main concern in the panic attacks though. There are horrible... ugh. I just cringe thinking about having one. But anywhom... I've talked to so many people that have had babies on Zoloft and don't see a difference but there babies are between the ages of 5 monthes - 2 Years, so it doesn't really verify anything for the long term effects. Right now I am taking 50 mg. I was taking 100 mg. I can already feel my panic symptoms coming back. All I want is to give birth to a healthy child, but I don't think I can do that with having panic attacks. Mine, are so bad that I can't even leave that house, not even to go grocery shopping. So, I am so confused on what to do. One doctor tells me stay off the medication, and another tells me to stay on. This is obviously my first child, and all the other emotions that come with pregnancy I don't know if I could handle it all with out Zoloft it's unfortunate just thinking about it... but anyway... if you would like to talk feel free to e-mail at [email protected] it's really late right now and I probably didn't cover everything that I wanted too!
    - Rachel
    cjmomof2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Hello. I took Zoloft during both of my pregnancies. I know how hard it can be, but I must throw caution to the wind. Both of my boys had food well formula allergies, one quite severe. Okay this is somewhat common. My second had collitis at birth. Both had chronic ENT issues also can be common. My 7old is diagnosed with late onset high functioning autism (different doctors label it differently), Many of the signs were actually there from age 1-2, and the others I thought he had sensory issues. My point is the effects are unjnown, and until more women take it and more documentation is done we won't know... I would take back taking it if my son would not have to go through what he's going through... just a thought. No one knows, but autism spectrum disorders are on the rise, and no one really knows why...
    RachelM05 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Wow... I completely forgot about posting those answers until I received an e-mail saying somebody had answer my question. Let me start with saying I had my Daughter Born on January 1st, 2008. Unfortunately though, she was diagnosed with Gastroschsis when I was 21 weeks pregnant. This is when the intestines are on the outside of the Stomach. It had become a very common defect, which is not chromosomal, or genetically related. Because of mistakes the Hospital made, my Daughter Laynee passed away 2-4-08. I have struggled everyday with the fact of wondering if taking Zoloft during my Pregnancy is what caused this. I miss her so much. I really do... I have to get going to class soon, if anybody would like to e-mail me my e-mail is [email protected]... also my myspace is MySpace.com - www.myspace.com/137383631.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelenaMays View Post
    Zoloft is believed to cause several birth defects including congenital heart disease among newborns of women who took this drug during pregnancy which can lead in filing a Zoloft lawsuit case.
    Yes, lots of the miracle antidepression drugs cause lots of unwanted side effects and birth defects. The best advice would be not to take these drugs or not to get pregnant so as not to have a child born with avoidable birth defects. I know it sounds cruel, but if I were taking any antidepressant drug I would seriously think twice before getting pregnant. And even taking these antidepressant drugs months before getting pregnant can result in the birth defects. A friend of mine took an antidepressant but stopped over the summer and then got pregnant in September. Her baby was born in June with birth defects. She was taking Paxil and had taken it for 2 years. She thought she had waited long enough to get pregnant, but apparently did not. These new "wonder" drugs need to be taken very cautiously by pregnancy aged women.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question on whether I could be pregnant or not. My boyfriend and I were fooling around on January 16 I had my period on January 6th and we really didn't do anything just touching and he was also wearing a condom. The next month I got my period three days early on the third of February. It...

Sex during Pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

I was told during my last pregnancy that I shouldn't have sex. I ended up having a miscarriage and they told me that having sex was probably a reason. How long should I wait before I can have sex again? I am only a month along, but that's how far I was last time. If we take it easy, is that safe?...

Pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm 29yrs old, and have some problem. I have my period at 3rd June and having unprotected sex at 11th June. Expecting pregnant but period come again on 29thjune . Never happened having period twice in a month. I am so confusing.. after that when we have sex again my vagina is bleeding . My...

Pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possibe to become pregnant by performing in oral sex?

View more questions Search