Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 17, 2008, 02:54 PM

Since you have already purchased the complete repair kit, the cost to have a plumber come in and fix it should be reasonable.. However, if you still have a little fuse left before you blow, we will be happy to walk you through repairs. Sounds like you definitely need to replace your flush valve assembly. Good luck and lets us know what you think.
    abbyqueue Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 03:08 PM

Well, the directions on the back of the kit seem pretty self-explanatory, which makes the fact that the only problem is that I can't unscrew the damn nut all the more frustrating. Even my adjustable wrench isn't adjusting large enough to fit around it, so all I have are my (soft, tender) woman-hands.

In any case, I don't think the kit will solve the problem, which is the flush valve assembly. I'll stop by the hardware store again and see if they have a kit for that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abbyqueue View Post
    Well, the directions on the back of the kit seem pretty self-explanatory, which makes the fact that the only problem is that I can't unscrew the damn nut all the more frustrating. Even my adjustable wrench isn't adjusting large enough to fit around it, so all I have are my (soft, tender) woman-hands.

In any case, I don't think the kit will solve the problem, which is the flush valve assembly. I'll stop by the hardware store again and see if they have a kit for that.
    Hey Abby,
    They make a spud wrench,(see image) to address the spud nut on the flush valve. Pick one up at a plumbing supply house. Good luck, Tom
    becker1 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 04:17 AM
    Replace the whole ball valve assembley about £5 to £8
    abbyqueue Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2008, 09:27 AM

Right now, after I put the old flapper back on, it seems to be working fine. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it starts leaking again, but if it ain't broke... well, you know.

Thanks for all your help. When it leaks again, I'll know to replace the flush valve assembly. :)
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2008, 04:30 PM

Exactly, not broke, don't fix. When you have problems again( and you will) let us know.
    JNK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2009, 06:28 AM
    My problem seems to be number 4 is leaking...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dripping sound in wall and ceiling [ 29 Answers ]

Hello - I have a perplexing problem. The past month or so I've noticed a distinct dripping sound in two places whenever I use any of the plumbing in my two-story townhouse. When I run the kitchen sink (w/ hot or cold water), I hear a dripping sound in the ceiling above the kitchen (and the sound...

Dripping sound in wall [ 3 Answers ]

My Water Heater Is On The Second Floor Of Our House (we Are On A Slab). After Using The Downstairs Bath Shower Or The Washing Machine (also Downstairs) We Hear A Dripping Sound In An Inside Wall. After A While It Stops. I Have To Believe It Is A Leaky Line (we Have Those Gray Flexible Lines) ...

Dripping water sound inside the wall [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved in to an 8-year old 3-floor townhouse. I noticed the dripping water sound in the wasll after showering. The sound is very clear in the third floor, and dims a little in the second and almost gone away in the first floor. The sound keeps for a while and then disappears. I could not find...

Dripping sound [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My home is only 2 years old but I noticed that in our powder room behind the pedastal sink I hear a dripping sound after using the hot water faucet. Also in the lower basement level I can hear rushing water after someone has flushed the toilet. Are these normal sounds? I don't see any water...

View more questions Search