Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jumpin_monkey08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
    Which activities are governed by the Charter and which are not?
    Gem_22205 Posts: 976, Reputation: 129

Oct 5, 2008, 05:09 PM
    The provided resources should help in answering any questions for which you may have and assist with you with the higher purpose of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (also known as The Charter of Rights and Freedoms or simply the Charter).

The Charter was intended to be a source for national values and national unity. As Professor Alan Cairns noted, "The initial federal government premise was on developing a pan-Canadian identity."[22] Trudeau himself later wrote in his Memoirs that "Canada itself" could now be defined as a "society where all people are equal and where they share some fundamental values based upon freedom," and that all Canadians could identify with the values of liberty and equality.[23]

The United States Bill of Rights influenced the text of the Charter, but its rights provisions are interpreted more conservatively. Canadian and American cases nevertheless sometimes have similar outcomes because the broader Charter rights are limited by section 1 of the Charter.

In its entirety:
    Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

18 year old want all of the freedoms but none of the responsibilities of an adult [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter (now 18) has had a number of "friends" we felt were bad influences on her. My husband (her step-father) and I tried to tell her we were seeing the big picture and she should distance herself from them, but she always had an "I've got to help them" attitude. She had stories of how some...

Should canadian government have the power over rights? [ 1 Answers ]

Should canadian government have the power to resrict or eliminate the civil rights of its citizens? Why? Or why not?

View more questions Search