Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bural21 Posts: 190, Reputation: 18

Oct 5, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Acne is taking over.
    I have had acne for nearly 6 years now. I got it when I was 12 and it was horrible up until I was roughly 14. Then, now at age 17 it is terrible. I have it on my upper and lower back, my thighs, my face, my chest, my neck, it's terrible. I've seen a doctor they put me on some medication along with birth control. I have extremely sensitive yet oily skin. I don't know quite what to do and/or use. Help! :mad:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 02:46 PM

Generally acne medicines are divided into three types- prescription drugs, over-the-counter topical medicines, herbal therapies.

Prescription drugs are those medicines that are prescribed by a qualified doctor. In this section Accutane, and I do have first hand knowledge of this one, as my cousin cleared up his acne with it, is the best. Doctors also suggest some others like Retina A, Renova, Benzamycin, Benzaclin,etc.

In the second category Benozyl peroxide is a very popular medicine and also very effective. Salicylic acid is also another useful and effective medicine for treating acnes.

Tea tree oil and green tree cream are two of the most effective herbal treatment available.

Herbal remedies unlike other acne medicines do not give faster results but also do not give side effects as compared to the other medicines. Also, we should protect our skin from too much sunlight and take medicines properly and regularly. Remember time is the best acne treatment.

Treating your skin type is very important, you should be using a soap that promotes anti bacteria and the right PH balance for your oily skin type. I believe this info is usually found on the container, or ask your pharmacist. Also, diligence and a will to have it work is very important.
    lostnfound Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 11:47 AM

I 100% recommend Clinique. I had ridiculous acne before using Clinique. They sell it at all major department stores. The products are pricey ($20-$40), but they last for months and month. They will assess your skin, as they did mine, and recommend products.

Step 1-Cleanser
    Step 2-Clarifying Lotion (Toner)
    Step 3-Moisturizer

They may recommend spot treatment for larger zits or cysts.

I tried everything from tea tree oil, herbal crap, supplements, to every single brand of acne product. I tried them for the recommended amount of time, 6-8 weeks, before giving up and trying something new. I didn't want to go on Accutane as it causes birth defects if you happen to get pregnant. But I have friends who tried Accutane combined with Birth Control, and had amazing results!

Good luck!
    Bural21 Posts: 190, Reputation: 18

Oct 7, 2008, 04:45 PM

Thanks lostnfound - I'll check that out, I'm getting desperate!
    Pirate88 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 11:09 PM

It might also be from what you are eating. I found that staying away from junk food, candy, pizza, cheese and chocolate really helped. I know that sounds crazy and impossible, but eating barely of any of these actually helped me out a lot.
    Acne comes from what we put into our bodies. If we eat food that may fill our tummies but isn't nutritional then how else does the bad food come out? Lots and lots of zits!
    Drink lots of water, tea and juices, but not too much sugar.
    Try baking soda and water for an everyday scrub to clean away dirt and blackheads.
    Watch out for too much moisturizing,. it can make your skin too moisturized and worse.
    Don't wear too much makeup,. try just the weekends and be natural the rest of the week. Makeup clogs up the pores.
    Taking too much meds can also play a big part into having bad acne.
    You can try going on the pill it may help out as well. I hope you find your solution and good luck in all your endivers
    Larkemett Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Jun 7, 2009, 10:32 PM
    I just want to say I feel your pain!

I hope some of these recommended treatments work for you, sorry I can't suggest anything but I am in a similar boat to you.

X

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using acne home remedy and a store acne product at the same time. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok,Is it bad to use fresh garlic to try to cure acne while using an over the counter top product called clearsil ultra daily face wash?:rolleyes:

Acne [ 6 Answers ]

I have some questions regarding my skin uhmm because lately should I call some acne is appear or popping out in my back shoulders and I'm bother with it... what are some medicated treatment that I can buy them ocer the counter products to remove them.. Hope to hear from you guys out there...

Laser Treatment for acne, acne scars, and red marks [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am 20yrs old and I've had acne since I was 14. This past year, my acne really flared up. I went to a dermatologist and they told me to go on Accutane. I didn't want to go on, because I already suffer from depression. They also suggested laser treatment for red marks from past acne and tiny...

Acne [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Melissa. I need some help. I have had acne for about 3 years and I want to get rid of it. Can you give me some ways to get rid of it?:confused:

Getting rid of Acne [ 3 Answers ]

Which is better for getting rid of acne? Natural pH based skin cleansers or sorbitol or glycerol based soaps?

View more questions Search