Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 5, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Getting frameless shower doors to glide properly
    I am having trouble getting one of the doors to glide across the track. It is hanging plumb. I noticed the inside of the top track was a little rough in places and I smoothed it out with some steel wool but the door still doesn't want to glide. I even put some white grease on the rollers.

Name:  IMG_0614.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0615.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  112.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  72.6 KB

I have the curb well caulked with 100% clear silicone so no leaks there.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 03:18 PM

Looks like that might be a Kohler Stering but even this good brand comes in 3 levels of quality. How much did you pay for the door? If you are under $250 the rollers are likely brass bushings rather than bearings and the slide will be noisier and with more drag. Besure that your doors are not touching the bottom rail, there should be about 1/4" gap for wiggle room.

Oct 6, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Looks like that might be a Kohler Stering but even this good brand comes in 3 levels of quality. How much did you pay for the door? If you are under $250 the rollers are likely brass bushings rather than bearings and the slide will be noisier and with more drag. Besure that your doors are not touching the bottom rail, there should be about 1/4" gap for wiggle room.
    I just called Kohler and they are sending me a new top track. After putting the white grease it is rolling a little easier and the doors aren't touching the bottom. I believe it's all the burrs inside the track that is stopping it from rolling well but I will order some ball bearing rollers for it since the doors are so heavy.
    Thanks!
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 9, 2008, 11:11 PM
    The problem could possibly be on the bottom of door, not the top.

If the door is hanging to low, it may be dragging on the bottom sill.

The roller bracket at the top has 2 screws on each bracket that can be loosened and slid up, so the door hags higher off the floor.

These brackets also control the plumb, or up and down adjustment of the door.

Get down close to the bottom of the door and see if the bottom is scraping the sill, before you start, if you are sure its not, back to plan b.

Good luck

Roger

Oct 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Home repair View Post
    The problem could possibly be on the bottom of door, not the top.

If the door is hanging to low, it may be dragging on the bottom sill.

The roller bracket at the top has 2 screws on each bracket that can be loosened and slid up, so the door hags higher off the floor.

these brackets also control the plumb, or up and down adjustment of the door.

Get down close to the bottom of the door and see if the bottom is scraping the sill, before you start, if you are sure its not, back to plan b.

good luck

Roger
    The doors have plenty of clearance on the bottom. The brackets for this model have three separate holes and I have them in the middle holes. The doors are plumb. I believe the problem is the roughness on the outside track and am awaiting a new track from Kohler. I am going to upgrade to better rollers also.
    Thanks,
    Patty

Oct 23, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Name:  IMG_0624.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  127.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0625.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0626.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  149.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0627.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0631.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  121.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Kohler sent me a new top rail and now everything is working fine! Here are some pics of my completed shower! Thank You for all your help!
    Patty
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 07:05 PM

Nice pics Patty. Never have put a mirror in the back of a niche. Might try that sometime.
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 23, 2008, 09:07 PM
    I agree, looks very nice. I like the way the different colors and textures are blended.
    A lot of work went into that room.

Good luck Roger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frameless shower door [ 3 Answers ]

Just got a frameless shower door. Water leaks out by dripping down 1 inch space between vertical edge of door (where clip hinges are) and tile wall. Water falls down wall and then leaks out onto bathroom floor. Someone said caulk the space from ground up to first clip. Any suggestions? JB

View more questions Search