Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XxsparklexX Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 10:23 AM
    My boyfriend is self harming
    I'm a 14 year old girl and I have been in a relasionship with this guy for about 6 mounths.
    A few weeks ago one of my best friends and my sister came up to me in school and told me I need to start talking to him more for a short while I gave up attempting to talk to him because he didn't seem interseted in me and only ever gave short answers to what ever I hade to say so I gave up trying. I asked whyvhe was doing it and then they told me that he was self harming I got so upset as they also told me I was the reason he was doing it I got so upset I ran out of school to my aunts house. My sister has told me that my boyfrend confinded in her and told her that I was one of the reasons he was doing it. He was resently a druggie but gave up a few mounths before meating me and has now developed a drinking habit I feel as if this is all my falt as I didn't talk to him for a while. All the people who are friends with him and me believe its my falt . I'm just so confused at the moment and don't no what to do this is the first time I have had to deal with this kind of thing I have heard of people I know that used to do it . I don't no what to do at the moment can anyone help me.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 10:37 AM

Self harming and suicide threats are what someone does when they are hurting inside and are struggling to express how they feel. I doubt very much that he is harming himself because of you. There will be many underlining problems, complex problems that cause people to self harm. I just can't see you being the cause of what has to be a very serious problem of his. He has to work out his own issues. And you need to let him do that. It would not be a good idea to become involved with someone who self harms because their life can be quite complicated.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 10:41 AM

IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.

I'm shouting because this point it important. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. What somebody does to themselves is not something you can control or need to take responsibility for.

What to do?
    Try and get him to seek professional help. He obviously has issues as he feels the need to self harm and abuse substances (drugs and alcohol).

Look after yourself.
    You cannot look after others unless you look after yourself first.

Consider leaving the relationship.
    You are 14.
    You don't need to deal with this. It goes way beyond the remit of a young teenage relationship. Your major worries should include how to do your hair and if his mum likes you, not when is he going to turn up dead.

Don't let him or somebody else guilt you into staying.

Help him as a friend if you can but don't blame yourself if you can't. You can't help somebody unless they want to be helped.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 03:45 PM

He is very sick. You have to discontinue relating to him so you aren't affected negatively.

Never forget, life is about making happiness for yourself, not misery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex boyfriend or new boyfriend? [ 7 Answers ]

Well my boyfriend just broke up with me about a week ago anndd I just found out that he still likes me but I don't know what to do because he already has a girlfriend and I also just found out that another guy{i have liked for about a year now}likes me and wants to ask me out but I have no idea...

Physically Harming [ 5 Answers ]

Has anyone ever been in the same room as someone being physically attacked and see the bruise?

1 to 2 glasses of wine she must be harming her child [ 15 Answers ]

Hello again everyone I guess all get to it, a girlfriend of mine is 28 weeks pregnant ( same as my self). My husband and I had dinner at her house with her husband as we walked in the table had been set, the only strange thing was we all had wine glasses. So I thought to myself well maybe will have...

Are there softwares that can increase internet speed?without harming your computer? [ 5 Answers ]

Are there softwares which can maximize internet speed and have no disadvantage

My brother's credit debt harming my credit score! [ 2 Answers ]

Just some background information- my brother has many, many debts. (he is a lawyer that just never succeeded and has no real work ethic) So he uses my father's credit cards, pays the minimum amount every month, and he basically lives off my father's credit cards for all of his expenses. My brother...

View more questions Search