Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Britt198237 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Physics forces
    Alrite in my g.11 3u course Im kind of lost. Here are some word problems that I have the answer key to but I have no idea how to get the answer... if anyone can help id be very grateful

1, a shell of mass 1.00 kg is discharged with a speed of 4.5 * 10[exp]2 m/s from a gun having a barrel of length 2.00m

a, how long is the shell in the barrel of the gun
    b, calculate the acceleration of the shell while it is in the barrel
    c, find the force exerted on the shell while it is in the barrel

2, A horizontal force of 15N pulls a 15.0 kg block along a horizonatal surface. If the force produces an acceleration of 2.0 m/s/s what is the frictioal force acting on the block

3, A 200g rock is suspended by a string. If the tension in the string is 3.2 N find the acceleration of the rock
    Britt198237 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 04:34 PM

Okay, I have the first one:

mass:1.00kg
    velocity initial: 0m/s
    Velocity final:450m/s
    distance: 2.00m

d=0.5(vi+vf)t
    2=0.5(0+450)t
    t=0.008
    round to signigicant digits..
    The shell was in the barrel for 0.01s

b, vf[exp]2=vi[exp]2 +2ad
    450[exp]2=0[exp]2 + 2a(s)
    50625=a
    round to sig. digits
    The acceleration of the shell is 5.5*10[4] m/s/s

c, F=ma
    f=1kg(5.5*10[exp]4)
    f= 5.5*10[exp]4
    The force exerted on the shell while it is in the barrel is 5.5*10[exp]4 Neutons
    garcon81 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Oct 10, 2008, 09:03 AM

2 - This is a sum of forces problem. If it's on a horizontal surface, then vertically it's not moving. The vertical forces are the gravitational force (mg) and the normal force (mg), which are equal and opposite. Then, we look at horizontal forces. We know the sum of forces = mass * acceleration. We know there's going to be a frictional force, too. So, we have

15 N - Friction = 15 kg * 2 m/s/s,

and then we should be able to solve for friction

There's a problem with this problem, though. Suppose that we didn't have friction, and we looked at the maximum acceleration we can get from a 15 N force acting on a 15 kg object. We have F=ma, so 15N=15kg * a, so the maximum possible acceleration even without friction is 1 m/s/s. There's no way you could get 2 m/s/s from that force even without friction, much less with it.

3 - Again, this is a question of the sum of forces = ma. The forces acting on the rock are tension and gravity. We take the gravitational force to be positive, so we can write the sum of forces:

(0.2 kg * 9.8 m/s/s) - 3.2 N = (0.2 kg) * a

which gives us a = -6.2 m/s/s. Since we said gravity was positive, this tells us that the rock is accelerating in the direction opposite gravity, or up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics (Current and Parallel Forces) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi HelpDesk: Please I need help how to figure out these problems: 1) An auto engine of mass 295Kg is located 1.0 m from one end of a 4.0 M work-bench. If the uniform bench has a mass of 45.0Kg, what weight Must each end of the bench support? 2) There is a graphic like:

Physics forces during turn [ 3 Answers ]

Why bikers bend during turn

Contact forces [ 1 Answers ]

What is parallel forces?

Identifying Forces [ 5 Answers ]

A block of dry ice resting on a table is given a brief push. A moment later, what forces act on the block?

Other Forces [ 2 Answers ]

Question: Besides its weight, a 2.70 kg object is subjected to one other constant force. The object starts from rest and in 1.20 s experiences a displacement of (4.20 - 3.30) m, where the direction of is the upward vertical direction. Determine the other force. Where do I begin??

View more questions Search