Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    radio309 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2006, 12:36 PM
    Dail-up modem
    The phone company told my friend his modem took out his phone line.I was not aware this could happen. If this could happen, how would the phone company know? Thanks in advance Fred:(
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

May 25, 2006, 01:18 PM
    I've had a dial up modem killed by a lightning storm! Presumably there was some kind of static build up in the phone line that blew the circuits.

The only way I can imagine the modem blowing the line would be through a power surge that killed other devices attached to the computer like the cd rom, hard drive, keyboard etc. Even then I'm not sure that that would carry all the way through the phone line back to the switching box (or whatever has blown).

Have you had any storms recently?
    radio309 Posts: 46, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2006, 08:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    I've had a dial up modem killed by a lightning storm! Presumably there was some kind of static build up in the phone line that blew the circuits.

The only way I can imagine the modem blowing the line would be through a power surge that killed other devices attached to the computer like the cd rom, hard drive, keyboard etc. Even then I'm not sure that that would carry all the way through the phone line back to the switching box (or whatever has blown).

Have you had any storms recently??
    No Storm and no other devices harmed.Thanks.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Hi, Radio,
    I also have never heard of any modem "taking out a phone line". I have used both the internal and external modems, working on friends' computers as well, and have never experienced this.
    I do know that if you call the phone company to check for static on the phone line, the first thing you should do is unhook the computer (or the modem) from the phone line. It can interfere with the tests.
    Best wishes to you and your friend.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 26, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Nope, modems do not "take out" phone lines. It's usually the other way around - some surge travels down the phone line and fries the modem. Telcos have surge protectors for signals coming into their COs. What exactly is wrong with the phone line anyway? Can your friend still make voice calls?
    prasad_sai19 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
    The modem has got spark when it was trying to connect to the server and that`s the reason

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modem com port 4 [ 4 Answers ]

I have come across this problem a few times but can never remember how I fixed it. My modem is installing on COM port 4, I only have COM port 1 and 2. I have NO resource conflicts, have uninstalled and reinstalled many times with the same result. Thanks Dan

I need dsl modem help [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm planning on getting a dsl modem connection for my room know how would this thing be set up in my room I already have a phone jack in my room which I don't use atm could I use this or would some guy come in amd make a new one

Resale dail-up [ 4 Answers ]

AOL has increased the price of dail-up by two dollars. For many years telcoms have had dail-up resell programs from 4-8 dollars per dail-up user.Does anyone think this is a good program and what is the best way to market this product? Thanks in advance Fred:confused:

High Speed Dail-Up [ 8 Answers ]

The New York Times reported on BPL. Internet over the power lines on Oct17,2005. I have been told that the next big thing is high speed dial-up. What keeping the FCC from granting faster modem speeds? How fast can dial-up go? I have not been able to find any information on this subject. Thanks in...

View more questions Search