Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wendb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Texas judgement
    I have a bank placing a judgement for a unsecured loan. I live in Texas can they garnish my wages? Freeze my bank account? What about my home?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wendb View Post
    I have a bank placing a judgement for a unsecured loan. I live in Texas can thay garnish my wages? Freeze my bank account? What about my home?

Texas does NOT allow wage garnishment for consumer debt so your salary is safe; they CAN place a lien on your home; Texas DOES allow levy of bank accounts, seizure and sale of non exempt property and liens against real property although a sale of a PRIMARY residence cannot be forced and the lien just basically sits there until satisfied or the proeprty is sold.

Texas is a community property state - some joint marital property can be seized, levied or liened when only one spouse is the debtor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Judgement in Texas [ 4 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me in for about 9000. I want to pay but cannot come up with all the money at once. What can they do in Texas. I am married and want to know if property that is in my jusbands name can be seized. What about joint bank accounts. I plan to continue to pay on this debt...

Judgement in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé has credit card debt in the amount of around 15000. Stopped payment in 2005, and he received information that a judgment was going to be filed against him. Doesn't have extra money to pay, lives on the homestead with house and almost 500 acres. Can anyone tell me exactly what can happen?...

Texas judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement filed against me in Texas. I do not want to settle. What measures do I need to take to protect my assets?

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

Judgement laws in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Laws in Texas concerning judgements, on credit cards and auto repossession Is spouse held responsible for out standing debts of husband? Hl10

View more questions Search