Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BMichele Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Family member won't leave fathers home that we need to sell
    My fathers' nephew has been allowed to live in my fathers home when my father was well enough to care for himself and afford to maintain his own home; the nephew has never had a lease written or verbal nor has he paid anything. Now that I have moved my father into my home to care for him, my brother (who has power of attorney) and I need to clean up, fix up and put my fathers home up for sale. Our cousin refuses to leave unless a judge tells he has to go, my ailing elderly father has asked him to leave however he refuses. I had contacted the local police and they stated it's a civil matter not criminal and therefore could do nothing. I had met with an attorney that wanted a $1000 retainer to check on the law of getting him removed and take our case; we do not want to spend that kind of money on this issue as we would rather put our cash into fixing up the home to put it on the market. I had went to the county courthouse - civil division and they gave us paperwork to complete for a Tenant/Landlord conviction however there has been and is no Tenant/Landlord agreement. I know we need to send him a certified/registered letter requesting that he leave the premesis however we don't know who or how to enforce it - if he's still there upon the time limit we intend to give in the letter. We live in New Jersey and do not know where to start in getting this done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 09:26 AM

Of course there is a tenant landlord agreement, he was allowed to live there, so he is the tenant, and the father is the landlord.

Your father ( owner) has to write the letter, and then you file in housing court to evict him.

You are making this way to hard.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Oct 4, 2008, 09:26 AM

I would try getting an eviction notice, this way if he does not vacate the property by the time that its up the police can remove him from the house
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 09:28 AM
    First you send him a written notice by certified mail that his tenancy is ended and he must vacate the property within 30 days.

If he hasn't vacated within 30 days then on the 31st day you file a lawsuit to evict him.

You don't have to have a written tenancy agreement in order to end his tenancy and have him evicted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 09:32 AM

But no the police do not do it, if the court orders the eviction, they will send court officers baliff or deputy to do it.

Stop thinking police.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Oct 4, 2008, 09:36 AM

Ahh OK good to know thanks
    BMichele Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 10:21 AM

I thank all for their advice; I have civil court paperwork stating eviction procedures, wording, entering pro se orders, etc etc however paperwork is requiring that we as "landlords" show "cause" for reason of eviction; which none apply to this situation. I'm seeking someone versed in NJ real estate law to offer any other "cause" not noted per NJSA 2A:18-61.2 Procedural Requirements.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 12:45 PM
    In NJ the requirement that the landlord show cause for eviction does not apply to owner-occupied dwellings consisting of less than 4 rental units. Your brother, on behalf of your father, should send him the written notice that his tenancy is terminated and he must vacate within 30 days. If he doesn't leave then you file the lawsuit for eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I evect a family member from the home [ 3 Answers ]

We are renters and live in fl a family member moved in with us needing help instead of going and getting a job she sits on my couch all day and has no intention of getting out of our house or getting a job. She is not on the lease and has never paid any money to us all she has done is given us...

Getting a family member to leave my home when I move [ 7 Answers ]

I presently lease a home and my name is the only one on the lease document. My daughter (39) and grand daughter (15) are listed as occupants. My daughters boyfriend also lives in the house. I am in the process of buying a condo for myself and feel that my daughter will refuse to leave when I...

Buying a Home from a family member.what type of contract? [ 6 Answers ]

What type of contract should I use if I am buying a house from a family member, without going to an attorney? My father owns a house. He obtained a $100,000 loan to have a detached garage added to the property and some remodeling done to the house. After all was said and done, he decided to buy...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

View more questions Search