Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 4, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Are there other people who are not interested in new friends.
    So, I have spoken about this small town I live in and all the close minded people living here... and how I don't really fit in... in past posts.

My husband is very active in this golf club... and he's made a few friends there. It's his first year at this place... and he loves it. I'm so happy that he has a passion. It's healthy to have something you enjoy to ease the stress in your life, (cuz we're currently in the market to sell our home and buy a new one... ).

The little problemo I have is that since he's been so active over the summer and now into the fall w/ this golf club he's made new friends, (which is so fabulous, BUT... ) now they want to get all the wives together and go for dinner... :( I just KNEW this might happen...

I don't want to say no because I really do support his fun w/ golf... but I don't mesh well w/ the people in this town and these people he golfs w/ ARE very much from this town.

He says nothing will come out of this evening... so then I wonder what is the point. Honestly, when I try to connect w/ people and go as far as wanting to have dinner it would be FOR a purpose... like to elicit some friendship. I don't see the point in going out to dinner and waste time w/ people IF NOT to try and see if we have anything in common.

I'll do it... I'll do anything for my husband. I just hope the evening goes FAST...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 01:43 AM

Hi, SweetDee!

I'm not sure as to which posts you are referring. You have several hundred posts now. It's possible that I might have been a part of some of them, but I don't remember.

My gut feeling here though, is that you don't know all of the people in the town, and that these people with whom you would got to dinner are already connected to you through your husband and open to the idea of going out to dinner together.

A positive and proactive attitude from at least some of the people in the town is already in place and in play here!

I think that some very positive things could come out of doing the dinner thing with others who are already open to doing it.

Just my opinion...
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 5, 2008, 08:17 AM

Thanks Clough for your opinion... I appreciate it AND that you took the time.

I agree that I need to be more positive. I think the proactive reaction is toward my husband and not toward me... he's an awesome guy. EVERYONE always likes him. Not so much me... I suppose I'm jaded now. I don't let anyone in anymore:(. It's too late.

I've lived in this town for over 10 years. You're right that I don't know everyone here... but I think I have the essence of them by now. It's quite conservative here and I'm very open minded... so it's not really a good blend as the connection of having things in common always fall short. This is WHY I don't see the point in another (of tons of attemps... ) to meet and get acquainted... it never goes anywhere:(.

I think you have been a part of some of my posts in the past... lol. I will continue to post hundreds more. I need to clough... I keep so much to myself in my real life. I finally found my voice HERE and I'm hoping that I can continue to ask for help... and get advice. Maybe it will one day spill into my real life... ( Clough, if you want to... check my asked questions... and see for yourself where you've been helpful to me... it will also give you a sense of what ails me as I use this site to vent and ask for help... ).
    jamilarahim Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2011, 02:15 PM
    I share your feeling here. I have a similar problem to yours. I just don't get along with new people. I don't fit in with them . For instance I will star a conversatio and then I have no idea what to say next. Like I would here long silence. It's so boring. We are completely different and have different tastes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

People who used to be in a relationship really be friends. [ 9 Answers ]

Hey, Just wanted some opinions on this. I believe they can not because of past feelings that never really get complete gone but lets hear what some of you all have to say. Can ex-couples really be friends after a break-up? I am not talking about years down the road I am talking the first couple...

How do I find people who are interested instead of me finding them? [ 4 Answers ]

I just became an associate in a home-based business with Pre-paid legal services Inc. because of all the publicity they have been getting on Tv and in magazines. Anyway, I will be making great commissions for every membership I sell or if I recruit another as an associate like I have become. It is...

Odd 90s movie about a group of friends who throw dinner parties and judge people [ 2 Answers ]

I figured it out the movie was the last supper. If someone can tell me how to get rid of this question now...

Can people be friends after an affair [ 13 Answers ]

My husband had an affair with a co-worker - and they ended it. However the woman insists on still being his friend - texting him, calling him up etc. I have confronted her and said it is inappropriate for her to be in contact with him - but she has said that she wants to be his friend and will...

Dale Carnegie's "Winning friends & influencing people" [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anybody out there who rates this seminal work as much as I do? I'm a company director and I'm always looking for inspiration. I was a bit doubtful about it because of its age but I now have the audio book in my car and listen to it often on the way to work to set me up for the day. I'd...

View more questions Search