Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    malcolmsmill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 02:15 PM
    2 networks in xp
    OK I'm an idiot but this is causing a problem.

I have 2 desktops and a laptop (min)

All run XP pro

I have 2 desktops wired to a Gigabit switch and from the Gigabit switch to a print server.

I also have an ADSL wireless Router.

When the 2 desktops are on, they talk to each other via the Gigabit Switch and Print perfectly through the attached Print Server.

When the 2 desktops are connected to the ADSL wireless Router via a separate wired connection (each desktop has 2 network cards 1 ethernet, 1 Gigaswitch each) The Gigaswitch / Print side works perfectly BUT the ADSL doesn't connect -------

Using "netscan" it shows the 2 desktops and Print Server, the Gigaswitch being "transparent" to the scan.

If the ADSL wireless Router is wired to the Print Server or Gigabit switch, it works perfectly and shows up in "netscan", whether the link is from the "2nd" network cards (in the desktops) is still wired or not.

The Laptop connects perfectly to the ADSL wireless Router, whatever... it has its own printer etc, therefore does not need the Gigaswitch / Print server.

How do I get the 2 "systems" to co-exist i.e. the Gigaswitch / Print Server Network AND the separate ADSL Network.

It may seem odd to keep them separate but each desktop is multi-boot and some sections must always be kept securely away from possible ADSL connection... the intended way being to only have Network cards activated to ADSL on the "less secure" Boot-ups.

Before it is suggested, I do not want to keep a connection between ADSL and Gigabit... and YES I am certifiable.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 02:39 PM

Take a look at the "Route Add" command in XP. You'll need to add a route, so the interfaces see each other.
    BlitzUP Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Hello,
    It is your wireless router have port for wired connection?
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Using "netscan" it shows the 2 desktops and Print Server, the Gigaswitch being "transparent" to the scan.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    From this statement, it is your dekstop in same workgroup?

I have no idea for your problem, I can not imagine your topology, but you can refer this url :
    Home Network Setup - Setting up your home network with multiple computers and ADSL/Cable
    I think it will help you.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Oct 20, 2008, 09:46 AM

Make all of your computers part of the same network and then add some access rules to your router that excludes the MAC address of the computers or virtual machines that you do not want to have access to the Internet.

This may be easier for you than adding static routes to each of your computers and it is a bit more secure since access is controlled via a central location.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interfacing two different networks / IPs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi every one, I have a LAN on IP 128.1.1.0 with subnet 255.255.0.0 and one more network with ip 10.50.4.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0. I need to enable the clients on 128.1.1.0 network to access the 10.0.0.0 network. The operating system I am using is Windows 2003 on a system which has two NIC...

One PC different Networks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a few pcs that need to connect to two different networks. I assume that I will need two nic cards with ip addresses on both networks, I'm just not sure how the configuration should be setup to have the cards communicate. Looking for a document or help on this. Thanks. PCs running w2k...

2 Networks 1 PC [ 13 Answers ]

Hi - I'm wanting to connect my girlfriend's laptop to my home network (so we can share files and she can access my printer) but this is already configured to be on her company network. Is there an easy way for me to configure her laptop so she can access my network when at home (as well as work...

Networks [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my two pc's to hook up so I can share files between the two?

Computer networks [ 2 Answers ]

How do we send message in a lan network in NT operating system using dos prompt?

View more questions Search