Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Here's what you do...

You find yourself an attorney. Your attorney will arrange a meeting with the district attorney to file criminal charges. In addition your attorney will file a lawsuit for the property that was stolen and destroyed, and for "intentional infliction of emotional distress".
    tracy271 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 02:39 PM

I like the way you think Lisa!
    sa22ball Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 02:39 PM

You go girl... that is exactly what it is!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tracy271 View Post
    I like the way you think Lisa !!
    LOL! (Nobody tell them what I do for a living!)
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:58 PM

The only problem that I can see is that, if this fence was indeed on a property line, it's a jointly owned fence and the other neighbor has a right to take it down if they want. I think. I know at least that both people get to pay for it. If it's not on a property line, then everyone else is right.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Oct 3, 2008, 08:04 PM

I know this sounds weird, but I was file a complaint for theift he did steal your fence and I would make him pay for what he did, but I'm just angered by this

Oct 3, 2008, 08:05 PM

Actually the fence was put in roughly 35 years ago by my dad and uncle. That property was vacant until about 8 years ago. Even the attorney had said it was our families fence.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 10:44 PM

If it's on the property line, it doesn't matter who put it in, it's jointly owned. Which always makes things difficult, because neighbors don't always agree on what type of fence, if it needs to be repaired, etc.

I don't know what happens if there is a joint fence and one party wants it up and the other party wants it down. I would think that the law would be that the fence comes down, and then the other party could erect one inside his property line if he wanted to have a fence between them.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Oh... and to answer some of your original questions... if his kids fall and get injured by the fence, he can sue. Especially if that fence is on the property line. (I'm still confused about that, because you have said that it's both "establishing the property line" and "not even near his property". It can't be both.)

But, assuming that it's not on the property line and this neighbor is a big jerk for doing this. Why is this disturbing so much that your grandmother is hospitalized? It doesn't sound like this fence was doing anything right now, so you sic a lawyer on him and let it get hashed out in court. And you want to go criminal... vandalism, trespassing, theft. Because, as has been pointed out, this fence just wasn't worth that much if you try to recover the damages in civil court.
    tracy271 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2008, 02:19 AM

Hi froggy. The fence was what was thought Granma's property line along an easment shared by many neighbors. The neighbor removed the property markers, along with the fence. There is another barb wire fence along the side of the property directly connected to the neighbor's yard, but that one has not been touched.(YET) The neighbor has torn down other fences and also wanted another elderly neighbor to remove his trees. This elderly man was even pushed by this crazy neighbor! He has since moved, and no wonder!!
    It is a case where This man feels as if he can do what he wants without repercussions. Removing signs and fences, spray painting others, letting their dogs loose to run around. My Poor Grandmother is so worried about what could possibly come next, that she isn't sleeping. She built that house with grandpa 37 years ago!! This is a woman that took care of him for over 25 years after he was paralyzed. She is a fighter, but this had really been detrimental to her health and well being. She is suffering, because of this "man"(and I use the term loosely). All she can say is, "I looked out and saw 5 men tearing my fence down!"
    WE ARE TALKING ABOUT 330 FEET OF FENCING!! She pulled up her blinds and they were ripping her fence out.
    It's disgusting, disheartening, and just plain sad, That this strong woman's life will end with this bs.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 4, 2008, 06:36 AM

Ok, I hate to be harsh here, but enough whining. You have been given some good and specific advice about what to do.

So now go and do it.

Oct 4, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7 View Post
    If it's on the property line, it doesn't matter who put it in, it's jointly owned. Which always makes things difficult, because neighbors don't always agree on what type of fence, if it needs to be repaired, etc.

I don't know what happens if there is a joint fence and one party wants it up and the other party wants it down. I would think that the law would be that the fence comes down, and then the other party could erect one inside his property line if he wanted to have a fence between them.
    Just to clarify a bit, this is Rural property not a residential neighborhood. It is zoned as such and is acreage. I thought that the laws on a "legal Fence" varied by state, county, city etc. Especially in the zone they live in. I know there are specific RCW's for them to follow because of being farmland and there originally was livestock.

As my sis-in-law (tracy271) explained, this is not even a fence near his property. It runs along an easement owned by someone else.

He did actually remove the fence behind him that is someone else's and it does contain livestock currently. The other neighbor had to replace 220' of his fence line so he wouldn't lose animals.

It boils down to this, How do we make it stop? Regardless of who "owns" the fence who's "property line" etc... this is a situation where a bully has moved into an area where the people have all lived for ever. He wants what he wants and he OBVIOUSLY will do whatever he can to make everyone else's lives miserable to get it. Even send a 92 year old woman to the hospital.

What I find the most disheartning about this is that those people have 3 children... guess what they are seeing, hearing, learning... just our next generation of bullies, I guess they should be proud as parents. Sadly even in everything else grandma agrees with that.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 4, 2008, 06:52 AM

Post closed, obviously the OP is not listing to advice and wants to whine and whine about poor me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

What Puts Women In The Mood? [ 48 Answers ]

I wonder if it's the same for all women, or does each woman differ? My sex drive is higher than my mates. Sometimes she's in the mood, often times she's not. So I'm wondering: What gets you ladies in the mood? Background: Im 27, she's 26. We've been together for almost 2 years now, we see...

What is the average distances on the X-way fence to fence [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the average distances are on the US expressways from fence to fence? How much shoulder? How wide are the lanes? Lets just say two lanes each way. How wide is the strip between the lanes? I know it varies widely in places but is there an average?

My cat puts her rear on me [ 2 Answers ]

My cat has this strange habit, every night she sleeps with me, which I don’t mind at all, but she lays so close to me and she always has to have her rear touching me. If I move, she comes closer again, some nights I wake up and she has almost all my side of the bed for herself and she still has her...

View more questions Search