Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PipSqueak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Highlighting Dark Hair
    I'm sure there is already a forum for this so sorry peeps.

I've naturally got medium to dark brown hair, I dyed it not long ago and it looks slightly black though I'm wanting to get some highlights to help lighten it. I want to gradually lighten.

Any suggestions on colouring or how I should go about this? Any feedback would be much appreciated :)
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 05:47 AM
    If your hair is as dark as you say then highlights would not do you hair any justice. It would just give you a top layer of blonde and bottom layer of dark. Low lights are always a good way to go with dark hair. However if your aim is to lighten your hair, then I suggest you take a wonder into your local hairdresser and ask their advice. They will be able to advise you on the best course of action to take. Your hair condtion and type all play a factor!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

May 30, 2006, 11:33 PM
    If your hair is really dark, your hair needs be bleached or lift, then a toner/color is added to compliment the highlights. Women with dark hair should not go more than three shades lighter than their natural color with highlights. Dark hair will look natural with soft light brown highlights. I advise you to let a professional do it, the hairstylist will choose a color that looks best on you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

Dying dark hair red [ 12 Answers ]

I'm going to give a lot of background so forgive me for being wordy. I have naturally dark auburn hair. Actually, it's more dark than it is auburn but the red highlights are definitely there. In fact, I have a natural streak of true carrot-top red on my front hairline and I really love it (my...

Hair too dark [ 1 Answers ]

I've been using Natural Instincts for quite some time. The shade was getting to red for me so I wanted to go back to brown. Used a 'Tweed' shade & ended up way too dark. It's a semi-permanent color but I hate it! It's too flat & drab. I'm 52 years old and it's too aging to have it this dark. I...

I have naturally medium brown hair and the other day I decided for the first time to dye my hair. I used a midnight black dye that is semi-permanent and says will wash out in 28 days. After I dyed my hair I realized I hated it and saw that if you already had dark hair it won't wah out in 28 days. I...

I have been reading this great advice and had some wuestions of my own. I went to the same lady to do my hair previously and it turned out nice, but as the dark faded I felt the highlights she put into it became too much of a comtrast... blonde with brown, just not my look. So I went to her on...

View more questions Search