Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JungleCat Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Drilling 3 inch hole
    I want to hollow out a pine log about 5-6 inchs wide. I tried a 3 inch forstner bit and it just will not do the job effectively. I only want to go down about 5 to 6 inches as well. Any suggestions?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 12:54 AM

If you don't get a response, send me a PM. I know someone on this site, who may be able to help. Sounds like a lathe issue and it sounds like a power issue. The larger the diameter of the hole the more power required. A lathe can take small amounts of material at a time. I have a nut bowl which is about 2" deep which is made that way.

5" deep might be difficult, although I'm more familiar with metal machining. A boring bar would generally be used, once a smaller (1-2") hole is drilled.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 04:46 AM

I take it that you are trying to drill out the end grain. Are you using a hand drill or a drill press? What exactly is the problem you are having? Is it the slow cutting or the limited depth?

Forstner bits are nice in that they give good control and make a nice hole. They also require quite a bid of pressure because of the amount of material being removed. Therefore work best in a drill press. Extensions are available to increase the depth of cut.

Tell us a little more about what you are trying to do.

Oct 3, 2008, 08:02 AM
    I want to make a coffee mug for show only. So to do it I need the center drilled out smooth. The firstner bit seems to want to burn through more than cut and is extremely slow. The bit is new and sharp

Bob
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Drill a series of holes around the inside perimeter, leaving the center with a spade bit, then drill with the forsner bit cleaning up the sides and the bottom.

Be aware that the bottom will most likely split unless dried very, very slowly, 6 months wrapped in several paper bags. Also if you are trying to keep the bark it will most likely come off after it dries.
    Attached Images

Oct 3, 2008, 02:23 PM

Thank you very much

Bob
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 08:43 PM

Figured Harold would see this.

The hollowed out log will stand time much better if varnished or stained with shellac.

Have a nut bowl and the bark is still in good shape after 20+ years or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install 72 inch long by 4 inch tall Marble Vanity Backsplash [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new 72 inch long Marble vanity in my bathroom. It came with a 72 inch long by 4 inch tall Marble Backsplash. How do I install this backsplash? Do I just put an adhesive behind it? What about the gaps? How do I fill the gap of the top of the backsplash where it hits the...

Drilling a hole in magnet [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to get a magnet that is about the site of a CD and has a hole in the middle. I was unable to find one with a hole but I found a solid disc that would work. My question is, can I safely drill a hole in the middle of this magnet without severely compromising the magnetic force? The...

What makes a 1/8 inch hole in ceiling sheetrock? [ 1 Answers ]

This little bugger is in my finished garage ceiling. It has a vaulted roof to the space above the ceiling sheet rock is about 6 inches and insulated. There are two small holes just along the ridge beam rafter, where the sheetrock and wood bean join. Out of these two 1/8 inch holes comes small...

Drilling a hole in glass [ 3 Answers ]

How do I drill a hole in glass? Do I need a special bit or tool?

Replacing 17 inch monitor with 19 inch [ 3 Answers ]

I wish to replace my 17 inch NEC LCD monitor with a Staples 19 inch LCD monitor My computer is a Gateway Do I need to change any settings as the monitor keeps switching off

View more questions Search