Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 09:15 PM
    If you saw Jesus work miracles would you believe?
    Apparently many folks in some towns did not.
    The seeds were plentifully sown but the harvest was meager.
    See here.
    Today's Gospel (Lk 10:13-16): Jesus said, ĞAlas for you Chorazin! Alas for you Bethsaida! So many miracles have been worked in you! If the same miracles had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would already be sitting in ashes and wearing the sackcloth of repentance. Surely for Tyre and Sidon it will be better than for you on the Judgment Day. And what of you, city of Capernaum? Will you be lifted to heaven? You will be thrown down to the place of the dead. Whoever listens to you listens to me, and whoever rejects you rejects me; and he who rejects me, rejects the one who sent meğ.
    So IF you saw Jesus perform miracles would you believe?
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 09:30 PM

It reads like Jesus is talking about changes of heart, spiritual miracle, people being saved from their old ways of thinking to Jesus' new way, the Kingdom of God Within. That is the only way him saying that they would be wearing the sackcloth of repentance. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Choux,
    BUT...
    If you saw Jesus working miracles would you believe?
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 04:22 AM

Depends on the miracle. Remember the story of Moses and his staff that turned into a serpent? The others performed "miracles" too.

And I'm sure that some are or were convinced that Uri Geller performed "miracles"...

The prediction of the resurrection and it coming true... now that's a different story :)
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Oct 3, 2008, 05:55 AM

Probably not just as I don't believe that David Copperfield actually flys on stage. Everything attributed to Jesus could be redone by a good magician. It would probably take him raising me from the dead or if he could heal amputees then I might believe it.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 05:57 AM

I don't need proof to believe.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 08:34 AM
    RickJ
    Many of the healings Jesus performed would be acctually impossible for a magician to perform.
    The deaf heard, the sick were healed, the lame walked, the dead rose.
    Fred

Oct 3, 2008, 08:42 AM

Not if the sick were in on it. Often traveling magicians will travel with many people who they pick out of the crowd supposidly at random to "heal".
    Watch it done it modern time with people who are equally as primitive as people were in Jesus's time.
    YouTube - supernatural revealed in india
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    RickJ
    Many of the healings Jesus performed would be acctually impossible for a magician to perform.
    The deaf heard, the sick were healed, the lame walked, the dead rose.
    Fred
    Agreed... but the original question was general to "miracles". :)
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 3, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb View Post
    Probably not just as I don't believe that David Copperfield actually flys on stage. Everything attributed to Jesus could be redone by a good magician. It would probably take him raising me from the dead or if he could heal amputees then I might believe it.
    Interesting that you mention amputees. Reports from the Azusa Street mission in 1909 or 1910 say that there were two or three occasions where amputated limbs were re-grown. Of course, all credit goes to Jesus Christ.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 10:44 AM

I really enjoyed the link michealb! Thanks for posting it. :)

Oct 3, 2008, 10:49 AM

Of which the only evidence for it isn't even first person it's all third person from a person who wrote a book call "They told me thier stories" It was supposidly the stories of the children who were at Azusa street.

I heal amputees all the time. See I can do that too. It's just that you don't believe me because I said I did it instead of god. Anything that you attribute to god you should ask for more evidence than something that is attributed to a man because at least you know the man exists.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 11:18 AM

I already believe, but if I witnessed an actual miracle then I would be able to say that God is fact.

But, like the others, it depends on the miracle, the circumstances, and whether I witnessed it first hand.

Many of the "miracles" discussed in the bible etc. well, they can be attributed to other things, or could just have been sensationalized by the people who wrote about it.

I have never witnessed a miracle, it would have been nice to. When my parents were dying of cancer I prayed for a miracle, a relatively simply one, cure them, make the cancer disappear. No such miracle. :(
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 4, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb View Post
    Of which the only evidence for it isn't even first person it's all third person from a person who wrote a book call "They told me thier stories" It was supposidly the stories of the children who were at Azusa street.

I heal amputees all the time. See I can do that too. It's just that you don't believe me because I said I did it instead of god. Anything that you attribute to god you should ask for more evidence than something that is attributed to a man because at least you know the man exists.
    If the book you mention were the only record from that time and place, you would be justified in dismissing it out of hand. There are other records that have survived, especially in the history of several "Pentecostal" denominations, including the Assemblies of God, which is the largest world-wide and fastest growing of these denominations.

Afterthought: It was only 100 years ago. There should be some old newspaper stories archived somewhere. If you have a good computer and the time, you could do some interesting research and report back. You might even decide to write a book yourself.

Oct 4, 2008, 06:48 PM

Newpaper articles from the time mention nothing of healed amputees. The only record of healing amputees is from the book. All that I have read points to a Jim Jones type cult that didn't stay together as long and spun off into other churches. No miracles just people taking advantage of guilible people.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2008, 07:36 PM

Fred, I don't believe in a Supernatural; the Natural World is wondrous and marvelous enough for me...

I don't believe Jesus was capable of doing miracles that go against Nature, but I believe that there were plenty of men capable of altering documents to suit their own ends. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 09:30 PM
    michealb,
    I understans what you are saying,
    But I was speaking about all of the miracles Jesus performed.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 09:44 PM
    Many people who do not believe in miracles will go to great lengths to explain them away rather than accept the obvious.
    The problem is that there are many fakes out there who are able to fool many people.
    Preace and kindness,
    Fred

Oct 5, 2008, 09:58 PM

I see it the other way.
    Many people who do believe in miracles will go to great lengths to explain them rather than accept the obvious.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 10:31 PM
    michealb,
    The obvious I spoke of was REAL miracles which could not be faked and have been proven so many, many times.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is Jesus to you? [ 175 Answers ]

Just wanted to get people's opinion of who Jesus is to you and why you feel the way you do? No trick, just want to discuss...

What kind of work is Jesus teaching about here? [ 10 Answers ]

Matthew 25:14. `It is like a man about to go abroad who summoned his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to a third one, each in proportion to his ability. Then he set out on his journey. 16. The man who had received the five talents...

Morbidly Obese and need to loose weight now- any miracles [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I need any advice, insiraptional storie, food diaries, in fact anywting Im a 21 year old female who is fearful to say weighs 22 stone I have managed. I have always been heavy for my age and come from a family if big people however I have come gto braking point I look in the mirror and don't...

There never was a Jesus? God? [ 165 Answers ]

I'm an atheist and have been since I was very young. I always had a great argument due to being brought up in a religious home, but never had the answer as to how religion came into play. My friend brought this video over to my house and it seemed a little boring at first, then about ten minutes...

Super Natural Miracles Testimonies! [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I am in need of a super natural miracle, I believe God is a miracle worker and through his son Jesus Christ we a conquerors. I need to work on my faith, and study the word of God, this is where I lack in my life. My question is, is there anyone out there who have been blessed in...

View more questions Search