Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    70541 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 08:53 PM
    Anyone know how the icecream in fried icecream doesn't melt?
    Its been making me wonder for a while
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 09:05 PM

Eventually it does, it's just that ice cream is sitting around in a cup or a bowl, the heat from the surrounding temperature melts the ice cream.

While in fried ice cream, the fried batter acts as somewhat of an insulator, and keeps it from melting so quickly. If you leave out fried ice cream for an hour or so, it'll melt and if you take a spoon to it, the melted ice cream flows out.

Same thing happens if you put a scoop of ice cream into a styrofoam cup, then fold the styrofoam cup all around the ice cream.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Hi all...

I'm pretty sure the ice cream doesn't melt because they take the ice cream, roll it in a ball and then wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it in ice bucket until absolutely rock hard. Then they batter and flash fry in high heat oil in which, as stated by ISF, the batter acts as an insulator and only allows the outer layers of ice cream to melt.

Some restaurants are even using liquid nitrogen to prepare this dish.

When freshly prepared the ice cream is still hard at center but melty soft under the batter shell! A little chocolate drizzle and whip cream and I'm all set here... YUMMY!

Good night all!

MARK
    melloboi23 Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Nov 10, 2008, 07:15 PM

Yeah its flash frozen like solid super frozen first and only fried for a short amount of time. And they do use liquid nitrogen.
    kraussnumber2 Posts: 105, Reputation: 10

Nov 11, 2008, 03:39 AM

You know I wondered the same thing...

I have only had it once and I didn't really like it. Maybe I will try it again somewhere else.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2008, 06:20 PM

Yes, it really comes down to flash cooking the batter in very hot oil. When done fast enough, the ice cream inside remains cold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mitch Gaylord's 3 day Melt off? [ 6 Answers ]

I am thinking about buying the Mitch Gaylord Melt it off thing. It says that you could lose up to 5 pounds in 5 days while using the product. I may be a little skeptical of that, but I believe it might work... You use a medicine ball thing and you do crazy moves with it. I've heard that Medicine...

Doesn't find me attractive, doesn't want sex with me, isn't sure he wants a relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Please read this, I need your help I'm 18 and so is my boyfriend I've been with him for 10 months and for about 5 months he's telling me he's not ready to commit and isn't sure he wants a relationship.and at points he's said he wants to feel he can do stuff with other women should the situation...

Son has major melt downs [ 18 Answers ]

:eek: My son is 2 going to be 3 July 1st... he is allergic to Casein which makes it difficult to make hm many things to eat as a lot of stuff has Casein... anyway... he will have MAJOR melt downs, screaming mainly for no reason... he will get himself in trouble and I will tell him no and he will...

Well Pump Capacitor Melt Down [ 1 Answers ]

I have a jacuzzi well pump down about 65 feet. The control panel has two starting capacitors (one oblong metal and one round plastic) and a relay. The black capacitor continues to melt down and loose all of it's oil. I replace it and it lasts a short while before it melts again. I have...

How come everyone likes icecream? [ 33 Answers ]

Hi there: Why everyone likes Ice Cream?? I do , a lot! :P Or anyone who does like ice cream?:D

View more questions Search