Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pgh_dolce Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 12:21 PM
    I have a Banner faucet assembly that is approx. 3 years old. The shower will not turn off completely. I have taken it apart and tightened the screw to the stem but it did not help. I am not sure what to look far on the stem but everything looks OK to me other than some limey build up which I cleaned off. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!

I will post a picture when I get a chance. Thanks. :)
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 03:00 PM

Did you replace the seal at the end of the stem or you just tightened, you may need to replace the seal and inspect the seat for any scrach mrks, good luck.

John

Oct 2, 2008, 05:29 PM
    I looked at the seal and it looked fine to me but I am not exactly sure what I should be looking for. I did look for scratch marks and didn't see any. I assume the seal you are talking about is the little plastic "thingy" at the end? :o
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 06:01 PM

Yes that is the ones when it is worn or damaged it will be the problem and will leak.

Take the stem to a plumbing supply store or a home depot buy the seal and replace it make sure to apply some lubricant on the seal and also don't forget to flush your faucet before installing the stem, wouldn't heart if you post the brand and the model number of your faucet, good luck.

John

Oct 2, 2008, 08:32 PM

It's a Banner Castille Collection 640 Series... I can't find the paperwork and am not entirely sure how to remove the stem. I'll look at it again... Thanks for all you input.

Lynda
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2008, 04:12 AM
    Your valve is a washerless faucet. What side leaks? The hot or cold side? Let me know. Tom

Oct 3, 2008, 06:13 AM
    It's the shower. The water is split b/w the shower and faucet when I turn the shower valve.

Lynda
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pgh_dolce View Post
    It's the shower. The water is split b/w the shower and faucet when I turn the shower valve.

Lynda
    OK Lynda<

I understand. I'm going to put up a image. It won't be the same as yours but the middle diverter might be the same, (see image).
    Pen up the center assembly and see if has the washers shown in the image I've put up. Are the washers and seat OK? If so turn the water oin the flush out the valve bod, reassemble and try it now. Good luck, Tom

Oct 3, 2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks so much for the picture. It doesn't look like my configuration though - I was under the impression this was a washerless faucet. I took the assembly apart again and used pliers to make sure it was turned completely on and the problem still occurs. I thought maybe it just wasn't turning all the way on but that is definitely not the case. The stem doesn't seem to budge and I can't see behind it. I have no idea how to get it off. I can't feel any water or sign of a leak at the pipes behind the wall either.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 12:23 PM

Hi Lynda,

Is it possible to post a picture of your faucet or the stem? as I suggeted early please take the stem to a plumbing supply and get the proper seals and flush the faucet before the stem installation, Thanks.

John

Oct 22, 2008, 07:49 AM

I am sorry it has taken me so long to post these pictures. Also, since my last post a piece of rather heavy black rubber came out of the faucet during a shower.

I assume the stem just screws off but I would feel better if I had some confirmation of this before I try to force anything. Thanks!

Lynda

Oct 22, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Whoa! Sorry about the size of the pictures... note made to reduce them before I ever post them again :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Water in Shower won't completely turn off! Help! [ 3 Answers ]

We are brand new home owners so we don’t have a lot of know how so forgive us for asking stupid questions. We bought this house about 3 years ago it was build around the mid-70s and is a Fox and Jacob home. The master bathroom only has a shower with 2 handles, sink and a toilet in it and none of...

New Shower Diverter not completely diverting [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I recently replaced all the valves on a three stem shower system, a hot, cold and a central diverter stem. They are SAYCO stems, specifically, part number 9B-3H and 9B-3C for hot and cold, and 9B-5D for the diverter. All readily available at Home Depot or Lowe's. After struggling to get...

Dimmer for chandelier doesn't turn off lights completely [ 4 Answers ]

I installed a dimmer for our dining room chandelier. It brightens and dims the light, but it doesn't shut the lights off completely. At the lowest setting, the lights are a very dim orange. The dimmer is the sliding type and doesn't push in to turn on and off like the round knob style does. ...

Shower Faucet doesn't completely shutoff [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a shower faucet that continues to flow water when the knobs are completely shutoff. It only happens with the Hot water, The cold shuts off fine. There are NO LEAKS whatsoever... other than the problem I'm trying to address, I have taken apart both knobs and all seems fine, no leaks, no...

Hampton Bay Remote Won't Completely Turn Off Light [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased two Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Remotes (Transmitter/Receiver). Model: 191-707. I wired one up in my living room and the other in the kitchen. I was able to turn my lights on/off and my fan too. They worked great or so I thought. When it got dark out I noticed that with the...

View more questions Search