Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syl Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Oct 2, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Soft bread
    I have been making my own bread for a while. I bought a pullman load pan and love it. We do not like the soft squishy bread in the store but I would like to have it a little more chewy. My recipe calls for water, salt. Honey, margarine, bread flour, sugar, dried milk and yeast. I measure very carefully. One time it was a bit softer which was nice but since it has been stiff. Still delicious but I'd like a bit more chew. I use my bread machine on the dough cycle, then knead it for 5 minutes then put it in my pullman pan and let it raise before baking. Any suggestions?

Regards, Syl
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 2, 2008, 12:34 PM

There are special bread flours that are supposed to be better.
    You could try milk and butter also an egg in place of the powdered milk and water and margarine.
    I have made bread most of the time using only flour water and yeast with a pinch of salt and a T of sugar to make the yeast work faster. I use the quick rising yeast that only needs one kneading after which you put it in the pans to rise. I mix the dry yeast with the flour and put the water or milk in a dish in the microwave for about a minute with a T of butter dropped in it. Once the butter melts I pour it over the dry ingredients in a big bowl adding enough extra flour to make the dough then start the kneading and squeezing for 5 min.
    syl Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2008, 08:47 AM

I have been using King Arthur flour. It is expensive and it doesn't seem to do more than the Gold Medal "better for bread" flour. I have read that it is the protein in the bread flour that provides elasticity for finer texture with kneading.

I really appreciate your getting back to me. :)

Sylvia
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 3, 2008, 10:44 AM

The bread flour is made from a specific type of wheat that has more gluten protein. I think it's hard red northern winter wheat. Spaghetti and pasta is made from a different kind durum wheat that gives it that semitransparent color. There is also special flours for cakes that are more tender

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bread [ 4 Answers ]

Why does my sourdough bread always fall when I bake it. Drops by about a third; any Ideas as to how to prevent this? Many thanks, Reed

What is the difference of chemistry in diet soft drink and regular soft drinks [ 1 Answers ]

We have to make a vidoe of this for school and we are stuck. What is the difference of chemistry in diet soft drink and regular soft drinks?

Raisin Bread. [ 1 Answers ]

A general store owner hires a young female clerk who likes to wear very short skirts and thong panties. One day a young man enters the store, glances at the clerk and glances at the loaves of bread behind the counter. Noticing the length of her skirt and the location of the raisin bread, he has a...

Bread help! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I make good light yeast rolls? Love to have any bread making reciepes. How do I now if yeast is alive and active. My bread always turns out like rocks.

Banana bread [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone please give me a recipe for banana bread without american weights and without nuts I have had one and lost it thanks -chryssie

View more questions Search