Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djsurfalot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 09:50 PM
    Here's a good one - Pay tax on income not received?
    Hi, I have a unique situation. I rendered consulting services to a business several times in 2007. The total amount came to $42,000. The company had some revenue issues and I ended up being paid only $29,000 before the close of 2007. I received a 1099 for the whole $42,000! The business claimed that because they use the accrual method, they are reporting an unpaid expense because the services were rendered in 2007. Well, I use the cash method, so I only report income in the year it is received. Irrespective of accounting method, I don't think their rationale flies in the name of tax method. It is my understanding that what you report tax wise can differ from accounting method. Can a business reap the tax benefits of an expense they did not pay? Do I have to pay tax on income not received? Please help, because having to report that extra $13,000 I did not receive will cost me around $4000 in tax liability. That will suck!:(
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Oct 2, 2008, 11:40 AM

Your tax return is done on a cash basis. You would only record income you received during the taxable year (i.e. the 29,000). They need to reissue the 1099 as it is incorrect and not acceptable under IRS regulations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do, received 1099 - INT for savings account have no other income. [ 8 Answers ]

Any help is much appreciated! I just received a letter from my bank marked form 1099-INT. The amount of interest income is only $12.45 for 2007. I have had this savings account since I was younger as my mom set it up for me as a gift with both our names on the account. The letter is addressed to...

Multiple-step income statement in good form and retained earnings statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would like someone to check to see if I did this correctly, if I did not then please help. Thanks The Problem is: The following pretax amounts pertain to River Corp. for the year ended December 31, 2008. Sales... $400,000 Operating Expenses... 84,000 Extraordinary gain... 30,000...

How to report income received-no tax withheld [ 4 Answers ]

Since I only work part time, I found it necessary to earn extra money for living expenses. I worked as a webcam model, on an ongoing model website, as well as a promotional model. None of these businesses withheld taxes from what was paid to me. My question is what do I need to have to enable...

Wealth & Income Dispersion, Income Mobility, and Economic Injustice [ 20 Answers ]

There's a lot of trash being talked here and elsewhere these days about how income and wealth are distributed among the US populace, how these distributions are changing, what is causing these changes, and whether those changes are benign or malevolent. Beyond that lie the questions of whether,...

View more questions Search