Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DRAKKO3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Can I install a mac OS in a computer that I built?
    I want to build a computer that can support a Mac operating system but I'm not quite sure if it is possible to install a mas OS on a computer that isn't made by apple.
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Oct 1, 2008, 03:42 PM

I don't know how but I know you can.
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Oct 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Better help than me
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Oct 1, 2008, 06:32 PM

You do realize that if you do this you won't be getting any help from Apple? The licensing agreement says: "... 2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions. A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time... " Also, they could in theory go after you under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act if they somehow found out you were doing this... they consider what you're doing a violation of their copyright and hence illegal.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Oct 3, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vingogly View Post
    they consider what you're doing a violation of their copyright and hence illegal.
    If you have a paid-for copy of the Mac OS, it's not a copyright violation. It might be a license violation, but that's a different matter. It's only a copyright violation if you "copy" (rather than purchase) the software from someone else's paid-for disks.

Oct 3, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill View Post
    It might be a license violation, but that's a different matter.
    Replace "copyright" with "license" in the last line. They could still in theory go after you through the courts. :)
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Oct 3, 2008, 05:55 PM

You can either build yourself a system round powerpc mobo and a ppc processor which REALLY isn't worth the hassle..

Or build yourself a hackintosh ;) The ultimate OSX on PC guide

Oct 4, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Replace "copyright" with "license" in the last line. They could still in theory go after you through the courts. :)
    Er, no, if we replace "copyright" with "license" we are back to the inaccurate question because there is no illegal copying going on. It's bad enough that many people aren't aware of what is or is not a copyright violation - it doesn't help matters any when people throw this term around where there is no illegal copying.

Yes, in theory they could go after someone with a civil lawsuit for using the software outside of the license. However A) this hasn't happened and B) it's in Apple's own interest to have a broader Mac user base - even when they are using the Mac OS on a non-Apple computer. The easier they can make it for people to experience the Mac OS, the easier it is for them to buy an Apple computer or other Apple product that integrates easily or only with Apple computers (e.g. iPod, Aperture).

Oct 4, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Er, no, if we replace "copyright" with "license" we are back to the inaccurate question because there is no illegal copying going on. It's bad enough that many people aren't aware of what is or is not a copyright violation - it doesn't help matters any when people throw this term around where there is no illegal copying.
    If you replace the word "copyright" with the word "license in the last sentence of my post, it does not refer to copying at all, so I can't really make any sense out of this comment. The word "license in the last sentence of my post, it does not refer to copying at all, so I can't really make any sense out of this comment. The word " has nothing to do with "copying" AFAIK.

Yes, in theory they could go after someone with a civil lawsuit for using the software outside of the license. However A) this hasn't happened and B) it's in Apple's own interest to have a broader Mac user base - even when they are using the Mac OS on a non-Apple computer. The easier they can make it for people to experience the Mac OS, the easier it is for them to buy an Apple computer or other Apple product that integrates easily or only with Apple computers (e.g. iPod, Aperture).
    They are unlikely to go after a small player, granted, but they have in fact gone after hackintosh purveyors. And as you no doubt know the issue of opening up Apple's OS has been going around and around for many years so there's no point opening that can of worms here... my advise is, if you really want a Mac-like interface on your PC, you can run Linux on it and follow the instructions here.

Oct 4, 2008, 03:13 PM
    If you replace the word "copyright" with the word "license in the last sentence of my post, it does not refer to copying at all, so I can't really make any sense out of this comment. The word "license" has nothing to do with "copying" AFAIK.
    Oh, You were referring to YOUR post. You quoted MY post, so I thought you were saying to replace the terms in the quoted sentence from my post.

Oct 5, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Oh, You were referring to YOUR post. You quoted MY post, so I thought you were saying to replace the terms in the quoted sentence from my post.
    Sorry about that. And by "that", I mean the miscommunication. :)

Vasily

Oct 5, 2008, 11:41 PM
    sorry about that. And by "that", i mean the miscommunication. :)

vasily
    Np

:-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power at all to my computer having just built it. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. Please reply to this question only in the Desktop section as i have put it there too as i got no reply in this section. Thanks. Just put together (for the first time in my life) a computer. Dual Core 4600x AM2 computer with liquid cooled heat sink and Asus M2N32 SLi deluxe...

No power at all to my computer having just built it. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. (I have asked this question in Computers for beginners too but no answer yet so though I would put the question in here, hope no duplications occur!)... Just put together (for the first time in my life) a computer. Dual Core 4600x AM2 computer with liquid cooled heat sink and Asus...

Built a Computer - no power! [ 5 Answers ]

I built a computer last night - powered it on, the fan on the power supply turned for about a second & nothing! I pulled out all the boards & DVD, hard, floppy cables, powered up and again, nothing! I don't even hear a buzz from the power supply. I even took the motherboard out of the case...

Newly Built Computer Problems [ 9 Answers ]

Me and My Friend are building a computer for my girlfriend and when we put all the pieces together and started it up everything worked(Fans, HD Booted, Floppy, CD DVD Roms,LEDS) The only thing that won't seem to work is the monitor. We first Tried plugging it into the video card that we put in then...

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search