Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Oct 1, 2008, 03:22 PM
    The Biblical quotes, Literal or lesson?
    I have a basic question about the Bible. I think that people will be divided about 50-50. How many Christians take the Bible as literal, As opposed to taking it as a guide for lessons of life? From all the stuff I have seen on the subject, it appears that this is actually debated among the Christians themselves. I am not trying to start a debate, just trying to figure out what belief in the Bible means to each individual. This is a good question, I think.

Any thoughts would be appriciated.
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Oct 1, 2008, 03:45 PM

I believe it should be use as a guide or lesson for life unless it is 100% percent real fact in this case it should be literal.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Oct 2, 2008, 01:35 PM

A good rule of thumb is to accept all as literal UNLESS it is obvious that it is a parable or symbol. That is what I do. It's not too difficult if you read enough Bible, because it is self-interpreting.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 01:41 PM

Literal,
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 2, 2008, 01:42 PM
    Wildandblue takes the Bible literally 100% for instance the Flood was rain for 40 days and 40 nigthts. Have you read Garrison Keillor's essay on that? "perhaps it wasn't a flood, it was a snowstorm, and it wasn't an ark, it was a barn. 40 days would have been a short winter"
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 03:58 PM

Jesus taught by parable, taught spiritual lessons using symbols. For example, the story about the mustard seed is not really about a mustard seed. :)

The father in the story of the prodigal son is not really a father, but GodAlmighty.

The talents given the workers is not really money; it is spiritual knowledge.

And, so on.

In the NewTestament, the sacred scriptures of Christianity, we see that the teachings of Jesus are in figurative language, not in literal language, for the most part. :)
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 3, 2008, 10:58 AM

Well sometimes a mustard seed is just a mustard seed, having known quite a few mustard seeds personally while trying to strongarm that especially recalcitrant vegetable to produce on the farm.
    A mustard plant is something like a Venus flytrap, in that it can move on it's own. Just as the flytrap can snap shut suddenly or the effect of a Mexican jumping bean(which is actually different since it's a bug inside the bean) a mustard plant can explode and propel it's seeds quite a distance. The seeds put into a bag can actually crawl back out by some kind of mechanism they have. So if a plant can do all that, ---and I haven't begun to tell you all the other stuff they've gotten up to out there in the fields after dark--- Jesus is saying if we had as much faith as a mustard seed we ourselves could do miraculous things.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 11:10 AM

To me the bible in my house is a book that was handed down from generation to generation, I cherish it because of it's age and the fact that it belonged to my mother.

I don't follow the bible at all. It's an interesting book, full of interesting stories, that's it.

Of course I don't commit murder, or adultery, etc, but not because of the bible, simply because it's morally wrong.

God yes, I believe. The bible, no, just a book.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 11:30 AM

I think the Bible was intended to express ideas and views but is based on actual events.

I think too many people take too much of the Bible literally. This is mostly what causes wars among religions.

Oh and "obvious" is a relative term...
    -

Oct 3, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    To me the bible in my house is a book that was handed down from generation to generation, I cherish it because of it's age and the fact that it belonged to my mother.

I don't follow the bible at all. It's an interesting book, full of interesting stories, that's it.

Of course I don't commit murder, or adultery, etc, but not because of the bible, simply because it's morally wrong.

God yes, I believe. The bible, no, just a book.
    The interesting mix of answers is what I was looking for. I am still trying to get things straight in my own head. I just like opinions on the subject from common people.
    Very nice so far, any other opinions? Jump right in...
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 12:21 PM

If you read the Bible and take it completely literal, it will mean one thing to you.

If you read the Bible and take it metaphorically, it will mean so much more.
    -

Oct 3, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    If you read the Bible and take it completely literal, it will mean one thing to you.

If you read the Bible and take it metaphorically, it will mean so much more.
    But there is a difference between faith and scienticfic factuality. You see my friend, that is the basis to my debate. I hold a lot of credibility to scientific terms.
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwild62 View Post
    The interesting mix of answers is what I was looking for. I am still trying to get things straight in my own head. I just like opinions on the subject from common people.
    Very nice so far, any other opinions? Jump right in.....
    Everyone has a journey to take, whether it ends in God or something else all depends on which path you choose while taking that journey.

Even people that follow the same religion have different beliefs, that's why religion is such a touchy subject.

I am, by definition, a Deist. I believe in God, but not the bible or organized religion.

I don't ask for proof of God's existence.

I don't expect people to have the same beliefs I do, I do not have a mission to convert anyone to my way of thinking. I do have a voice, an opinion, and I have no problem stating my opinion to anyone that wants to hear it. ;)

To me the bible is a man written book, a story, largely fiction. Does it have valuable lessons? Yes, it does. I do not treat it as the word of God, and yes, I have read it, I have studied it, hence the reason to dismiss it.

You can be a good person even if you don't believe in God. To me, it's more important that a person is kind, law abiding, good, then a believer in God.

Your path can only be determined by you, unless you are willing to let someone else dictate which path you choose.

Good luck with your journey. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 12:31 PM

Depending on your interpretation of the Bible, it has plenty to offer that is not founded in faith nor fact.
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 12:37 PM

Another problem with the bible. Everyone interprets it differently. Every religion has it's own interpretation, which religion is correct, or are they all wrong?

Heck, maybe I'm right, wouldn't that be nice. ;)
    -

Oct 3, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Depending on your interpretation of the Bible, it has plenty to offer that is not founded in faith nor fact.
    I have heard that the Koran is actually a great book,, for lessons anyway. I have no knowledge of it, but it certianly less violent than the Bible. Only 24 murders occurred in the Koran. So I do wonder about things in that sense. The Bible has an estimated 2.2 million murders. Very simple statement and meant to offend anyone.

Whether you be an Arfican with a fly problem, or Bill Gates, we all have the same questions. We all are made from the same material. Protiens and Amino acids.
    YES, that is simple. Those are the facts that I understand.
    -

Oct 3, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Another problem with the bible. Everyone interprets it differently. Every religion has it's own interpretation, which religion is correct, or are they all wrong?

Heck, maybe I'm right, wouldn't that be nice. ;)
    The very best way I know how to describe that is that,, if one belief is wrong, the others go to hell. In that case, all the infidels go to hell. That's 90% of humanity. There are 1000's of belieifs,, you better not be wrong,, or else.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 12:45 PM

I would be interested in reading the Koran. I think there are many important books influenced by God... much more than just the Bible. I am sure the Koran falls into this category, as well as the Tao Te Ching and others.

They, too, are all made up of the same material.
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 12:46 PM

My belief is that regardless of what you believe, if you live a good life, are a good person, then, if heaven exists, you will go to heaven.

If we are all Gods children, then wouldn't he love all of us equally, regardless of what we believe?

If I am wrong and there is a hell, well, I've got marshmallows and sticks, no worries. ;)
    -

Oct 3, 2008, 12:49 PM
    I would be interested in reading the Koran. I think there are many important books influenced by God... much more than just the Bible. I am sure the Koran falls into this category, as well as the Tao Te Ching and others.

They, too, are all made up of the same material.
    I have always understood that the Koran and the Bible are one in the same. They both have a savior, in 3 days, both were from a mother with a name that begins with M. There are 100's of stories that follow this same criteria. HUNDREDS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Biblical riddle [ 40 Answers ]

Using 2 letters twice, and four only once, tell me how, in two words, to obtain mercy. Hint: two words total of 8 letters

My boyfriend has literal holes in his skin.in a very awkward place. [ 7 Answers ]

I don't want to say how buy the other night my boyfriend found holes in the crack of his bottom. Awkward, I know. Anyway, my questions are what could have caused this? Should we be worried? The holes are about the size of the head of a pin, or the tip of a pencil. Please help! I think it's where...

Literal translation of the bible. [ 21 Answers ]

In reading the bible you can find SO MANY far fetched stories. What amazes me is that some Christians take this stuff as the LITERAL truth. Woman made from man's rib, Noah's ark, Daniel and the lions den, paleeeeezzzeee! I'm interested in the views of others.

Biblical Baseball Team [ 6 Answers ]

undefined :confused: I am searching for a story that I heard several years ago and can't for the life of me remember more than a couple things about it. I know it was very funny and had been told to some church youth at a gathering. The story is about a baseball team made up of Biblical...

View more questions Search