Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dongiddens Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Florida Landlord being scamed
    Received summons for 2 1/2 old accident that did not happen.

Everything is wrong on it.

They have got my address mixed up with the rental address where accident was supposed to have happened. My address is 2502, nextdoor, rental or accident location is 2520
    Nowhere on summons does it have accident address. Couple lived there for 6 months.
    Couple told or summon says she was at my location 2502 for the purpose of renting
    Property, walked through my location 2502 , walked out back door and fell through steps
    And damage happened.to her leg. They were renters next door at 2520 for 4 months before this supposed to have happened.

Does all this inacurate information matter?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 04:49 PM

It may matter, it is up to the judge, you appear in court and present your evidence and fight against any of their evidence
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 07:51 AM

Was your property rented at that time? Do you have a copy of a lease showing that someone else lived there then? That would be good evidence to take with you showing that you weren't attempting to rent out your property at that time. Did these people come view your property?

Is the individual suing you? It may not be a bad idea to involve your insurance company. They will have specialized people who can investigate this type of thing and disprove their claim. It may also fall under some type of fraud and get these people in big trouble.

I'm a little confused if you think it's a clerical error with the numbers in the address being transposed, or you think these people are actually trying to make a fraudulent claim?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2008, 07:54 AM

These are minor clerical points that will probably be cleared up at the hearing.

The salient facts are whether the plaintiff was injured on property owned by you, due to your negligence. Those are the facts that will concern a judge or jury.

Oct 2, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy View Post
    Was your property rented at that time? Do you have a copy of a lease showing that someone else lived there then? That would be good evidence to take with you showing that you weren't attempting to rent out your property at that time. Did these people come view your property?

Is the individual suing you? It may not be a bad idea to involve your insurance company. They will have specialized people who can investigate this type of thing and disprove their claim. It may also fall under some type of fraud and get these people in big trouble.

I'm a little confused if you think it's a clerical error with the numbers in the address being transposed, or you think these people are actually trying to make a fraudulent claim?
    No insurance, they were renters at the time ,next door, at 2520,
    I have renta; receipys for nov, dec , jan.06, alledhed accident was march19 06.
    They never came over to my location 2502, Summons only talks about 2502

Deffentley a fraudulent claim.

He told me she cut her leg all up but I could not find any blood on broken step.. or ground.
    I heard from neighbor thst it was a scam.
    I had checked those steps and they were old but in fine shape enough to support
    90lb girl
    I had bought step and asked him where he wanted it front door or back
    Door and he daid oh no do not replace back door. Put it at the front door.

This summons says FACTs not minor clerical points last time I checked facts meant
    Facts that would be far stretch Summons says she fell through steps at my place 2502
    When they tried to sue 2 12 yrs ago it was at their place next door 2520 but I had no insurance so thry did not sue sounds like a scam to me
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dongiddens View Post

Deffentley a fraudulent claim.

He told me she cut her leg all up but I could not find any blood on broken step..or ground.
    90lb girl
    door and he daid oh no do not replace back door. Put it at the front door.

This summons says FACTs not minor clerical points last time I checked facts meant
    facts that would be far stretch Summons says she fell thru steps at my place 2502
    when they tried to sue 2 12 yrs ago it was at their place next door 2520 but i had no insurance so thry did not sue sounds like a scam to me

First, I'm an liability investigator. I investigate slips and falls (stairs, parking lots, sidewalks, public places, private residences) - which this is - all the time. Here's the other side of this and what the Plaintiff's Attorney will look at.

The fact that they rented one address does not mean she wasn't hurt at another - she very possibly went next door for whatever reason, perhaps before/after vacating the unit she rented. Unless you keep a log book of everyone who comes to your door/onto your property, I don't think that's a defense.

The fact that you found no blood means nothing. Did you take photos of the scene immediately upon being notified of the injury? At any rate, lack of blood means little.

The steps don't have to be safe for a 90 pound person (and I don't know how you tested them) - they have to be safe for a person of average weight and size in all aspects - weight bearing, handrails, pitch, uniformity. What an "average" person weighs is at the discretion of the Court.

If they tried to sue you for this same thing at another address, yes, it's entirely probable it's a scam.

You have no insurance on either property? If you do, your insurance company will represent and defend you vigorously.

If the neighbor has direct knowledge, a statement made by the "injured" person that this is a scam, that they faked it up and are filing a false claim, then take that person to Court with you and have him/her testify to that direct knowledge.

In the meantime - respond to the Summons within the time frame or they will get a Judgment against you.

Your statement "... last time I checked facts meant facts that would be far stretch" is unnecessarily dismissive to the people who are trying to help you. You can argue the meaning of words forever. You should be concentrating on defending against this lawsuit.

Oct 2, 2008, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    First, I'm an liability investigator. I investigate slips and falls (stairs, parking lots, sidewalks, public places, private residences) - which this is - all the time. Here's the other side of this and what the Plaintiff's Attorney will look at.

The fact that they rented one address does not mean she wasn't hurt at another - she very possibly went next door for whatever reason, perhaps before/after vacating the unit she rented. Unless you keep a log book of everyone who comes to your door/onto your property, I don't think that's a defense.

The fact that you found no blood means nothing. Did you take photos of the scene immediately upon being notified of the injury? At any rate, lack of blood means little.

The steps don't have to be safe for a 90 pound person (and I don't know how you tested them) - they have to be safe for a person of average weight and size in all aspects - weight bearing, handrails, pitch, uniformity. What an "average" person weighs is at the discretion of the Court.

If they tried to sue you for this exact same thing at another address, yes, it's entirely probable it's a scam.

You have no insurance on either property? If you do, your insurance company will represent and defend you vigorously.

If the neighbor has direct knowledge, a statement made by the "injured" person that this is a scam, that they faked it up and are filing a false claim, then take that person to Court with you and have him/her testify to that direct knowledge.

In the meantime - respond to the Summons within the time frame or they will get a Judgment against you.

Your statement "... last time I checked facts meant facts that would be far stretch" is unnecessarily dismissive to the people who are trying to help you. You can argue the meaning of words forever. You should be concentrating on defending against this lawsuit.
    So it does not matter that she the one that is suing me does not know where
    The fall through the steps happened?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2008, 05:21 PM
    So it does not matter that she the one that is suing me does not know where the fall thru the steps happened?
    Hello dong:

Nope, doesn't matter a bit. What matters is whether she was hurt on YOUR property - not whether she can remember the address.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2008, 05:37 PM
    So it does not matter that she the one that is suing me does not know where
    the fall thru the steps happened?

Right, it does not matter - unless it's deliberate fraud that you can prove. You said you have proof it's all a scam - as I suggested, take that person to Court with you. It's not going to be a test of her memory - it's going to be a matter of proving if she was or was not injured, if you own/owned steps that were or were not defective.

Otherwise the wrong address is an error. You can always respond to the Summons with a denial of an accident at that address and use that as grounds for dismissal. They will then correct the address and sue you all over again.

She either fell through steps you own or she did not. My guess would be that she has photos and medical reports. You have to counter that with your photos and your witness and a statement of how she actually was injured, if not in a fall through on your stairs.

What does the condition of the steps indicate - that she fell or didn't, at either address?

And what does your insurance carrier say?
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2008, 06:25 PM
    So your property was vacant at the time that the incedent supposedly occurred? So they could have been on your property w/out your knowledge?

He told me she cut her leg all up but I could not find any blood on broken step..or ground.
    90lb girl
    door and he daid oh no do not replace back door. Put it at the front door.
    Who is the "he" that you keep referring to? Whose steps did you check? Yours or your neighbor's?

I think I'm even more confused now. They went after the neighbor - their landlord at the time - and got nowhere. Now they are coming after you for the same "accident" only now it occurred on your property, supposedly?

facts that would be far stretch Summons says she fell thru steps at my place 2502
    when they tried to sue 2 12 yrs ago it was at their place next door 2520 but i had no insurance so thry did not sue sounds like a scam to me
    Is this a small claims case, or a higher court?

So do you own both properties? You say they tried to sue 2 1/2 yrs ago but YOU had no insurance.

If you don't have any proof that this DIDN'T HAPPEN (just saying it didn't isn't proof) you might want to consult with an attorney if there's no insurance company to back you up.

Oct 3, 2008, 02:50 AM
    Right, it does not matter - unless it's deliberate fraud that you can prove. You said you have proof it's all a scam - as I suggested, take that person to Court with you. It's not going to be a test of her memory - it's going to be a matter of proving if she was or was not injured, if you own/owned steps that were or were not defective.

Otherwise the wrong address is an error. You can always respond to the Summons with a denial of an accident at that address and use that as grounds for dismissal. They will then correct the address and sue you all over again.

She either fell through steps you own or she did not. My guess would be that she has photos and medical reports. You have to counter that with your photos and your witness and a statement of how she actually was injured, if not in a fall through on your stairs.

What does the condition of the steps indicate - that she fell or didn't, at either address?

And what does your insurance carrier say?
    Ok
    How about I tried to replace step but was tokd not to?

Oct 3, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Ok
    What about it? As Judy points out, the material facts are whether she was injured on your property and whether that injury occurred due to negligence on your part. The burden of proof is on her to show both of those things.

You need to get a lawyer to defend you in case the suit comes to trial. The lawyer will help you prepare a defense.

Oct 3, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    What about it? As Judy points out, the material facts are whether she was injured on your property and whether that injury occurred due to negligence on your part. The burden of proof is on her to show both of those things.

You need to get a lawyer to defend you in case the suit comes to trial. The lawyer will help you prepare a defense.
    Ok thanks

No money, last one I talked to attorney he wanted 5,000 up front.

Only thing I have is my house and rental

Oct 3, 2008, 06:40 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    ++

Oct 3, 2008, 06:46 AM

So you rent property without insurance and now you want to deal with a lawsuit without an attorney. You think its better to risk paying out tens of thousands for a liability judgement or a few thousands for an attorney?
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Ok

I have explained this to you in great detail from years of experience - and I'll make one more try.

It's YOUR property. It's YOUR job to make sure it's safe. Your tenant CANNOT dictate to you how/why to keep your property in good condition. You seem to have a whole list of excuses about how/why this happened but I don't see you taking any responsibility.

If you KNEW the steps were a problem - back to the steps that are safe for someone who weighs 95 pounds - and did nothing, you were negligent. No question. I would personally keep this "defense" to myself as you are condemning yourself with your own statements.

Turn this over to your insurance company. If you don't have insurance, be prepared to defend the lawsuit yourself (which you will certainly lose) OR retain an Attorney.

Sorry if I'm being harsh but you are simply not understanding what I am saying.

Oct 3, 2008, 07:48 AM
    I have explained this to you in great detail from years of experience - and I'll make one more try.

It's YOUR property. It's YOUR job to make sure it's safe. Your tenant CANNOT dictate to you how/why to keep your property in good condition. You seem to have a whole list of excuses about how/why this happened but I don't see you taking any responsibility.

If you KNEW the steps were a problem - back to the steps that are safe for someone who weighs 95 pounds - and did nothing, you were negligent. No question. I would personally keep this "defense" to myself as you are condemning yourself with your own statements.

Turn this over to your insurance company. If you don't have insurance, be prepared to defend the lawsuit yourself (which you will certainly lose) OR retain an Attorney.

Sorry if I'm being harsh but you are simply not understanding what I am saying.
    Sorry not going to take any responsibility for something that did not happen.
    I do not think you understand everything that happened hopefuly the judge will.
    I am going to keepcalling to see if I can find one I can afford.
    I understand if I do this myself I will loose. Looks like I do not have anything else I can do.
    Yes I do not understand this.
    I never said I knew steps were unsafe.
    Before they moved in I agreed to put deck in front door
    I gave him plans for one in Jan.
    Never got back to me about what he wanted to do
    So I bought new step and ask where he wanted it front or back door and he said
    No do not replace back door put it in the front.
    So I offered to replace step but he refused my offer.
    Then the alleged accident happened.
    Guess this does not matter either but seems like it should to me.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:54 AM
    I do not think u understand everything that happened hopefuly the judge will.
    I understand if I do this myself I will loose. Looks like I do not have anything else I can do.
    Yes i do not understand this.
    so I bought new step and ask where he wanted it front or back door and he said
    no do not replace back door put it in the front.
    then the alledged accident hapened.
    Who is "he" and "him"?

Do you own both 2520 & 2502?

Were these people YOUR tenants? Or the tenants of the owner of the neighboring property, and who owns it?

So you're maintaining that she did not get hurt at either property?

Who is your "witness" that they admitted this was a scam?

I'm more confused than ever...
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 07:54 AM
    I do not think u understand everything that happened hopefuly the judge will.
    Yes i do not understand this.
    so I bought new step and ask where he wanted it front or back door and he said
    no do not replace back door put it in the front.
    then the alledged accident hapened.

Again, it is not your tenant's choice to pick out plans for decks. That is your job as the landlord. I think we're beating a dead horse here but as a landlord it is your responsibility to KNOW that the steps were defective, particularly if the property is next door. And if they weren't defective, how did she fall through them?

I trust you will come back and let us know how this works out.

Oct 3, 2008, 07:55 AM

Ok, this makes it a little clearer. But the question is why did you offer to replace the steps? Was it bacause they were damaged or just because they requested it.

This is a key issue. If they just wanted a cosmetic improvement and you can show that you offered and they never followed up, that would help your case.

However, if yhey reported a hazard and you waited on them to fix it, then you would be liable.

If that can't prove the accident happened (medical records), then they will lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Tenant act Florida [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a years lease in 3/08 in Florida, my husband recently got transferred to Washington State to work and now we need to relocate, are we able to legally break our lease? Thanks

How can a landlord break a lease in Florida [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord wants to break my lease to sell her house due to divorce. What does she have to do to legally break the lease? There are no clauses in the lease to cover if the landlord wants to break the lease for this or any other reason.

No lease Florida law Landlord rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have rented a room (within my home) with no written lease tenant to pay weekly. Utilities were not included in rent. The tenant is now past due on her rent and electric. Also, when I confronted her about the balance she verbally threatened me with bodily harm. What are my rights? I wish...

Did I get scamed? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently applied for a small business grant with IC Financials. I sent them a check for a processing fee of $495. I haven't heard from them since. What do I do? Here's their website: IC-SERVICES Home

View more questions Search