Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flsunshine03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Removing Compression Valve
    Valve leaking under kitchen sink. Attached to copper with compression valve. When I try to remove it just spins in circle. Can I get it off without cutting it? (There isn't much pipe sticking out of the wall).
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 12:02 PM

There is a special tool to remove the ring.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by flsunshine03 View Post
    Valve leaking under kitchen sink. Attached to copper with compression valve. When I try to remove it just spins in circle. Can I get it off without cutting it? (There isn't much pipe sticking out of the wall).
    You remove that angle stop, (see image) by holding the valve body with one wrench and backing off the large nut counterclockwixe. That stops the spin and allows the valve to be removed. If you'rereplacing the angle stop you won't need to remove the compression nut and ferrule, simply reuse them.
    However, If you wish to remove the nut and ferrule here's the tool KISS spoke of. This tool is a combination handle and ferrule puller. Good luck, Tom
    flsunshine03 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Thank you for your info. Very helpful. I tried reusing the nut & ring but it leaked so just cut the pipe and put new valve. Had just enough to get it on there-next person will have to extend it, I guess. Didn't know about the special tool and had already sawed it off. Will definitely get one for next time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 8, 2008, 11:31 AM
    We're just glad you're fixed up. If you need more help simply click on back, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing old compression washer [ 6 Answers ]

The shut off valve to my toilet is leaking. I determined the problem was in the valve, or perhaps the seal between the valve and the copper pipe. I purchased a new shut-off valve. Upon removing the old one, I can not seem to get the old compression washer off. It is hard to get to with not much of...

Removing shower mixing valve handles [ 2 Answers ]

I have an unknown brand two handle mixing valve in my shower. The handles do not have screws or allen screws to hold them on. There is a 3/8 inch slot in the handle perpendicular to the stem which looks like you can insert a screwdriver blade to release the handle but I'm not having any luck. I...

Removing Compression Straight Style Supply Valve [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My cold water is leaking from the bottom of the compression valve (where it is attached to the pipe). I want to remove it, but it looks like it is glued onto the copper pipe. How would I go about this. The Compression Fitting doesn't not have a nut on the bottom which is attached to the...

Leaky Compression Shut-Off Valve [ 2 Answers ]

I recently replaced an old, leaky shut-off valve with a compression shut-off valve. I cut off the copper pipe cleanly and made sure the end was clean and burr free. After tightening the nut as instructed, I still had a leak from where the valve connects to the stub. I've adjusted it a couple of...

20.5hp briggs, compression release valve? [ 8 Answers ]

Do these engine have a valve to release compression to make it start easier? I think mine is stuck shut cause its real hard to turn over

View more questions Search