Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nadeen Ward Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Multiple Printers to one Computer
    I have two very good HP printers that are Network Printers with Network cables, but my ex took the Server and the Network. I need to findout what equipment I need to get to make these work and I have very little time as I am in the middle of a big project... HELP PLEASE... Will a switch box work or what do I need?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Knowing the printer models would be helpful. Nevertheless, there are two common ways of networking a printer. One type of printer directly attaches, most commonly via a RJ45 patch cable, to a Ethernet network consisting at minimum of an Ethernet switch device. The other type requires a host device, such as computer or dedicated print server device, that the printer connects to usually via a parallel or USB cable. The print server then connects to a switch.

If you have only a computer, for the first type of printer, you would need to replace the Ethernet switch and any cables that the ex took? and reconfigure your network as desired. The computer's current IP address settings would indicate what network was in use prior to the ex pulling the plug. If no IP address configuration changes have been made to any of the devices, getting up and running again may be as simple as throwing in a new switch and plugging everything back in.

For the second type, you'd need both the switch and a print server device supporting multiple printers or individual print server devices for each printer. The issue may be compounded if the printers are both types. Post back the printer details, any other network devices, and computing environment for a specific response.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 05:27 AM
    Rarely does a printer only have one form of connection port.

Check your printers, I would expect that they have a USB port or Parallel and Serial ports.

Most PCs come with multiple USB ports, all that would be required is two additional USB cables and to make sure the USB port on the printers are activated.

As previously asked, what models of printers do you have?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2008, 05:59 AM

Since you are under the gun for time, the fastest way for you to deal with this is to connect the printers directly to your PC. Depending on the printer it will have either a parallel and/or USB interface. If it has USB, then get 2 USB A/B cables and connect them directly to your PC. If you don't have 2 free ports you can get a USB hub as well.

After you finish your current project, you can decide on whether you need to rebuild a network or not.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 06:09 AM

Most PC USB connected printer are required to be end points, so they cannot be daisy chained.

As Scott indicated, if you only have one USB port available get a USB Hub that connects to the PC and then supplies an additional 4 ports.

Oct 2, 2008, 08:29 AM
    More INFO
    Both are HP printers on is a laser HP2605dn
    And the other is an ink jet with scanning built in HPC6280

I have NO network the ex took all of that, I do have two slots open on my computer to hook them into, I need to understand how to print to each one, I had thought about a hub.
    I was sold a perifials hub but that works for two computers one printer, that is not my problem...

Thanks for all of the help.
    Nadeen
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Both of those printers have a USB interface. So all you need to do is what we said, get 2 USB A/B cables and connect them directly to your PC. You can get the cables at Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Best Buy, Circuit City etc.

If you have two open USB slots then just plug the printers in. When you boot its going to prompt you that you have new hardware. If you don't have the disks, you may need to download the drivers from HP.com. If you don't have the USB ports then you need a USB hub.

Once the printers are installed you just print as you normally did. Select File>Print then select the printer you want to use.

Oct 2, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Yes, it is one of the solutions to the problem.
    marked Posts: 41, Reputation: 0

Oct 2, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadeen Ward View Post
    More INFO
    Both are HP printers on is a laser HP2605dn
    and the other is an ink jet with scanning built in HPC6280

I have NO network the ex took all of that, I do have two slots open on my computer to hook them into, I need to understand how to print to each one, I had thought about a hub.
    I was sold a perifials hub but that works for two computers one printer, that is not my problem...

Thanks for all of the help.
    Nadeen
    YOu can just get a router and connect this two printers on the router since they have built in ethernet port , then after that install the drivers on all computer and setup the printers as a network printer...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All in one printers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am researching printers that use generic ink. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You, Rob9

Printers [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem installing any printers on my windows xp media centre. It always says access deined. Can anyone help?

Multiple printers [ 15 Answers ]

I am trying to hook multiple printers up on one system. If they are both usb then I can hook them up and then share them and it won't be a problem when another system uses either printer. Is this correct. Also if I have to use a switch is there one that will do the switching automatically or will...

Ink jet printers [ 1 Answers ]

?? I've had 3 computers and have had 3 printers and HAVE USED WIND. 98, 98se AND NOW Xp . My printers were Lexmark Z22, cannon i320 and Hp 3322. In each case they all print approx. 33% smaller then what shows on the monitor! Is this simply a fact that all printers print 33% smaller or is it...

View more questions Search