Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 07:55 AM
    I need to change my password
    Hello:

I just don't know if it's my router than needs changing or my network. It really doesn't matter because I can't find any place to do it, nohow.

I DO find a place on my network page that lets me change my wifi network from or to private or public. When I first chose private, I entered a password. Apparently MY computer remembers the password because I'm never asked for it when I boot up.

However, when my iPhone tries to log into my network, it asks for my password, and I either forgot it (not likely), or it won't take my input.

So, I changed my network back to public... But my iPhone still thinks it's a private network. When I change it BACK to private, it would have thought it would ask me to enter a NEW password, but it doesn't.

Hep me.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 08:00 AM
    What make and model is your router?
    If your computer is hooked up by ethernet cable then it doesn't need a wireless key to access the network; a laptop would remember the last network used along with it's key. The iPhone doesn't seem to remember the last network or you used it on another network since the last you got it on yours.

If you haven't written down your key anywhere (or passphrase) then you may need to reset it (then write it down somewhere!:)).
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Hello Need:

It's a Netgear Rangmax "N", and it's my laptop. The problem is, I can't find WHERE to reset it.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Please hold... searching...
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 08:23 AM
    Here's the link to your manual: http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/dg83...al_11Nov05.pdf

Check the screens and the info starting at page 3-4.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Hello again, Need:

I can't open the pages the manual tells me about. It says to access the wireless link on my browsers main menu, but I can't find anything like that.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Does it look like this (to make sure I am referring to the correct documentation)? DG834N Family Support Page

It looks like there are two versions.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Hello again, Need:

Hold on. I found a cd... I'll let you know.

excon
    mechanickid Posts: 248, Reputation: 5

Oct 1, 2008, 08:57 AM

Well there are a couple of ways you can reset it...

You could do a factory restore
    Or you could find the password box,

If you do a factory restore then you loose any and all settings, do you connect wirelessly through your laptop? Do you have any hardwired connections to the router?

Let me know, I will lookinto your manual now

Oct 1, 2008, 09:00 AM

What type of security are you using now? WPA?

Oct 1, 2008, 09:03 AM
    To get to wireless, there should be a link right on the main menu Wireless

That will contain your security information, what type of security are you running?
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Need:

I can't open the pages the manual tells me about. It says to access the wireless link on my browsers main menu, but I can't find anything like that.

excon
    Here's a step-by-step.
    NETGEAR - Configuring Wireless Security (WEP/WPA/Access list)

But first, can you access http://192.168.0.1 from the laptop?

Oct 1, 2008, 09:10 AM

Excon,

Your going to want to connect your laptop via wire if you can, it makes setting up much easier,

I recommend setting up WPA as it allows you to have one preshared password for all your devices, not to mention its much more secure

Good luck
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Hello again:

Ok, I changed the password on my router... That's cool, but my phone still can't get in. I think I need to change my password on the network, and I can't see how.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 09:36 AM
    There are two passwords, an admin one just to get into the router configuration page and a 'password' which is the encryption key for the network. Your iPhone needs the latter. Check the step-by-step link I posted earlier.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Hello again, need:

I don't know if I have WEP or WPA enabled, and I don't think it's an encryption passcode that it's looking for. It's the passcode one enters when trying to access a private wi-fi network. I don't think I set it AT THE ROUTER.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 09:59 AM
    It would be helpful to be able to see a screenshot of what the iPhone is prompting you for. For the record you DO have a private wi-fi network - that's what your router does, public only means that it's not secured and anyone can up on.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Hello again, Need:

The phone shows an icon of my "locked" network, and asks for a password. I enter all that I have, and none work. It just says that it can't access the network.

Yes, I have a private netwok. But, somewhere along the line I had a choice to make it private or public. I made it private and it made me enter a passcode that was needed to access it. Just like ANY of the private wi-fi networks ask for a password.

I need to go back to THAT screen.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2008, 10:37 AM
    I wonder if by "private" Netgear means "VPN" (virtual private network) which would NOT be what you want.

I found this site: Netgear DG834G - Web configuration screenshots
    Does that look like the screens you get? I don't see any that prompt for private versus public.

Oct 1, 2008, 10:41 AM

excon,

Can you get to the wireless settings from the main page?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I change password on craftsman keypad garage opener [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change the password on my craftsman keypad garage door opener when I forgot the current password it has on it. The model number is 139.53684 I have the keypad but I don't remember the password that was put in it. So I need to be able to wipe it out and start like if it was new, or...

Minor Name Change/Birth Certificate Change [ 2 Answers ]

15 year old minor, born in Marion County, Indianapolis, IN, living in WI with his dad, mom in FL--with joint custody, would like to change his name to his dad's and has both parents consent. Does this have to be filed in IN? Are there forms that the parents can fill out and file without the...

Toshiba laptop, bios password, power on password [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I just brought a laptop of a friend, he hasent used it in ages and has forgotten his bios password, the laptop is a toshiba satellite pro a10. We have no clue what the password is, and can't evan get to an xp screen because of it :( Any help would be greatly apprciated Cheers Jon

Password change forms [ 1 Answers ]

I secured a form in my Access database with the following code: Private Sub Command48_Click() 'Attached to On Click event of Command48 Dim strPasswd strPasswd = InputBox("Enter Password", "Restricted Form") 'Check to see if there is any entry made to input box, or if

Change the administration password on my DI series router? [ 1 Answers ]

DI-525 router: need to change password.

View more questions Search