Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    01wendy77 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 12:15 AM
    Did my foolish decisions affect the chances of my husband being able to adopt her?
    I am from NC. I have a 17 month old daughter and the absent parent signed over his parental rights with consent for my husband to adopt her in Sept. 07(we married when she was 1 month old). I waited until Dec 07 before I signed on my part. I left my husband and moved in with the absent parent for 4 months earlier this year. I am currently back with my husband and would still like to pursue the adoption. I learned in those 4 months that you can't make someone a parent if they choose otherwise. I recently learned that my attorney failed to file the papers at the clerk's office. The absent parent has decided to pursue child custody and meanwhile we have to attend custody mediation. Our first mediation hearing is set for next week. My attorney says he will be in touch before then with information concerning our attempt to proceed with the adoption. This waiting game is killing me. Does anyone have any knowledge of a similar situation that can put my mind at ease? Did my foolish decisions affect the chances of my husband being able to adopt her? HELP!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2008, 06:14 AM

Well your failure to finalize the adoption has given the bio father the chance to change his mind. You can't force him to relinquish his rights if he doesn't want to.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Oct 1, 2008, 08:36 PM

I agree... not completing the process the first time, then moving in with the bio father has probably shown him that he wants the child in his life -- or, forgive me for saying, its possible he's angry you left him again and returned to your husband (I sure hope that's not the case). Either way, you have made it a bit difficult... The back and forth may look poorly upon you providing a stable situation/homelife for the baby... there are a lot of specifics involved, all of which a judge will review carefully to determine who is the best parent. I would be shocked if the judge gave your ex full custody, you guys will most likely get 50/50, but that throws the chance of adoption by your husband out the window unfortunately...

Good luck,
    Revival Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Oct 1, 2008, 10:22 PM

You have something in your corner though contrary to these guys. You said he previously signed over all rights to you. Thusly you have a leg to stand on in court saying that when she was born he wanted no part of it now that he's met his daughter he's trying to change his mind, since you have the controlling you should be able to argue that way. However since you did live with him that could nulify that, just something you may want to check in with your lawyer about.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 12:34 AM

WHY did you wait that long, to begin with?

Sounds to me like you're playing games with 2 guys, and not putting the best interests of your child ahead of your own interests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex husband was new husband to adopt his children [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently married with a child. However I was married once before and have two children with that marriage. The marriage ended due to her extra martial affairs, the children were very young, four and five. They are now 11 and 12. I pay child support and provide insurance for the children....

If my husband file a bankruptcy will that going to affect me [ 5 Answers ]

I got married 10 months ago. I still live in Canada waiting for my Immigration papers. If my husband file a bankruptcy Will that affect my credit and Immigration papers. In this case will he still sponsor me. His net income is 3300/mth. Do they include as a asset my car which I own before get...

Can husband adopt? [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for almost three years and he wants to adopt my son(6). The bio father is in prison and has not seen my son since he was two months old and that was only once through jail glass. Can I prove him unfit based on being in and out of prison? How hard do you think it...

My husband wants to adopt my son [ 9 Answers ]

So here is the story... My husband and I were married in February. At that time my ex and I were going through a nasty battle in court over whether he was the father of my son or not. Recently we found out that he isn't. So my question is this. I don't know who the father of my son is, but my...

My husband wants to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

I've been married to my husband for almost 2 years now and he wants to adopt my son from a previos relationship,how do we go about that?:)

View more questions Search