Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 06:52 PM

I hate to point out the obvious, but no birth control is 100% effective, so even if she claimed that she was on the shot, you still should have used a condom. Never trust someone else to take care of the birth control. You played with fire, you go burnt.

Okay, enough lectures. You've gotten good advice on which steps to take now. I suggest that you get a lawyer, meet with the mother of your child and her future husband, see if they are willing to let you off the hook by officially adopting the child as his. That's your best bet.

The whole, she's unfit because she emotional and lied about birth control, well, that won't get you anywhere at all.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Revival View Post
    I wound up with "one of those women who every woman out there hates because it depicts us so badly" and i told the story as is. I trashed her because who wants to put up with that kind of bs in any form? I'm not an old fashioned male in this materialistic world good sir. Just because she's going to be having my kid doesn't mean I am obligated to stay with her. She betrayed trust, amongst that, has caused me a massive headache I am unprepaired for. However, yes you are entitled to your opinion, whether or not I agree with it, I'll give it to you. But you cannot tell me that if you were in my shoes you would not be livid at the fact that someone would take advantage of you in such a manner that it literally alters your life, at the age of 21. A high % of all children are mistakes, not planned, that is a sad statistic but a true one. However, instances like this are ones that specifically need guidance, not I told you so's. Put yourself in my shoes, you're 21 years old, been working towards paying tuition so you can go back to school, to achieve that goal of a career. You find a girl that you feel could be a fit, then when it starts to come apart, she's pregnant after telling you she was on birth control, and expects you to forfeit what you've been working towards to be with her. Would you prefer the guidance or the told you so?
    I don 't think you have been quite paying attention. First, I have never said you are obligated to stay with her. I think you should have as little to do with her as possible. But the child is yours and you should have consideration about its welfare, beyond how it messes up your life.

Again, you HAVE been given guidance and good guidance at that. But you have also been bemoaning your fate. And that's what has engendered the I told you sos. Your fate is not totally due to the actions of this woman no matter how bad they were. You made choices here and you have to accept the responsibility for those choices.

As for putting myself in your shoes, I would have never have put myself in that position in the first place. But if I was in a position where I made a major goof and needed advice to deal with it, I would also accept the lectures knowing I deserved them.
    zawatska Posts: 226, Reputation: 12

Oct 3, 2008, 10:43 AM

Revival-I don't understand at all how you think this woman "took advantage of you." Sure, maybe she lied about being on birth control, but even then just because she wasn't on birth control does not mean that every girl who gets sperm inside her automatically gets pregnant. She didn't take advantage of you, I'm sure she wasn't using you to make a child.

Oct 3, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zawatska View Post
    Revival-I don't understand at all how you think this woman "took advantage of you." Sure, maybe she lied about being on birth control, but even then just because she wasn't on birth control does not mean that every girl who gets sperm inside her automatically gets pregnant. She didn't take advantage of you, I'm sure she wasn't using you to make a child.
    You have a very good point. While she did betray a trust by lying about it, I'm not sure "taking advantage" is the way to put it. That's what continues to bother me here is Revival seems to be taking little or no responsibility for what happened.
    Pets Expert

Oct 3, 2008, 12:40 PM

Revival is the one who chose to take her word for it. He chose to believe that she was on birth control and because of that choice he didn't use a condom.

If we want to turn the tables, the girl could claim that he used her, after all, he didn't use protection, and because of that she's pregnant.

This child deserves to have a good life, even though it wasn't planned. Revival, you had a hand in creating this human being, and like it or not you are repsonsible for it's care.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
    I wound up with "one of those women who every woman out there hates because it depicts us so badly" and i told the story as is. I trashed her because who wants to put up with that kind of bs in any form? I'm not an old fashioned male in this materialistic world good sir. Just because she's going to be having my kid doesn't mean I am obligated to stay with her. She betrayed trust, amongst that, has caused me a massive headache I am unprepaired for. However, yes you are entitled to your opinion, whether or not I agree with it, I'll give it to you. But you cannot tell me that if you were in my shoes you would not be livid at the fact that someone would take advantage of you in such a manner that it literally alters your life, at the age of 21. A high % of all children are mistakes, not planned, that is a sad statistic but a true one. However, instances like this are ones that specifically need guidance, not I told you so's. Put yourself in my shoes, you're 21 years old, been working towards paying tuition so you can go back to school, to achieve that goal of a career. You find a girl that you feel could be a fit, then when it starts to come apart, she's pregnant after telling you she was on birth control, and expects you to forfeit what you've been working towards to be with her. Would you prefer the guidance or the told you so?

I wouldn't have had sex in the first place without knowing something positive about birth control. I know you think she took advantage of you - why you? What did you offer that some other guy didn't?

No one suggested that you stay with her that I can see.

It always amazes me on the boards - women who are pregnant when the boyfriend wants out of the relationship are described as manipulative nut jobs who selected "him" as the father because he has SO much to offer; women who want out suddenly remember that he's on drugs, unemployed and violent.

Apparently none of this is apparent during the "dating" game.
    Revival Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Oct 4, 2008, 01:59 PM

Anyone else want to jump on the bandwagon?
    jambourrie Posts: 73, Reputation: 10

Oct 4, 2008, 02:14 PM

Do you feel like you benefited from posting your question?

Oct 4, 2008, 03:00 PM

Good question jambourrie. Lol! Despite whether you're trying to go back to school and get a job or whatever... I know lots of parents who are living and loving their dreams, their careers, and they were young parents. This is where your morals come into play... your feelings may change once you see this little bundle of joy... you may WANT to enjoy YOUR babies life... dont rule it out

Oct 4, 2008, 06:44 PM

Again, paying child welfare is not the problem. If I have to do it, fine, I don't care. However you people do not know this girl and I've tried to describe her as best I can, however it's the internet and people misinterpret all the time. Such is life. I am very concerned about the welfare of the child or else I would not be trying to find a way to get this child a better chance at life rather than with this girl. She does not have a high school education, she's definitely got some serious issues, and this kid is going to struggle because she will not be able to give her the life she needs or deserves. SO that being said, if anyone has any more bandwagon jump on my back questions/remarks/anything feel free to tell me I'm just trying to get out of this kids life, that she's the victim because of what I'm doing, yada yada yada. I don't really give a flying f*** the point is I'm trying to find a way to get this kid put up for adoption as I *ME* feel that her mother is NOT FIT to be a parent. Is that more crystal clear?

Oct 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
    the point is I'm trying to find a way to get this kid put up for adoption as I *ME* feel that her mother is NOT FIT to be a parent. Is that more crystal clear?
    You had me up until this last part. I was going to tell you, if you feel so strongly that she is unfit then you take it to court and petition for custody.

But you seem to care less about the fate of the child then you do about getting revenge for what she did to you. If you cared you would try to get custody rather than put the child up for adoption.

But whatever. If you think you can prove her unfit (I don't based on what you've said) then take it to court.. Because that's the only place you will get it done.

Oct 5, 2008, 04:02 AM

Once again, that's the courts decision whether she's an unfit mother... but chances are you will not get anywhere with that in court. Judges aren't stupid... he/she will see that you and her are hostile towards each other and just think that you are making it up most likely. Sorry but true.

Oct 5, 2008, 08:09 AM

ScottGem I myself I am adopted, my birth parents were the same age as I am when they had me. This is not about revenge, this is what I deem the best route for the child. I've lived it. So once again, I reiterate that this is what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII deem best for the child, it has nothing to do with the mother, because I do not trust the mother, I do not believe she is able to raise this child, nor do I believe I am ready to raise a child. This is about the child not between her and I, if I wanted to take revenge on her, I'd go get another girl knocked up and stay with that girl... but that would be ignorant. So once again Gem, I throw your post out the window because you miss the bigger picture. Read the whole thing before you post next time.
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 08:11 AM
    ScottGem I myself I am adopted, my birth parents were the exact same age as I am when they had me. This is not about revenge, this is what I deem the best route for the child. I've lived it. So once again, I reiterate that this is what IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII deem best for the child, it has nothing to do with the mother, because I do not trust the mother, I do not believe she is able to raise this child, nor do I believe I am ready to raise a child. This is about the child not between her and I, if I wanted to take revenge on her, I'd go get another girl knocked up and stay with that girl... but that would be ignorant. So once again Gem, I throw your post out the window because you miss the bigger picture. Read the whole thing before you post next time.

How would getting someone else pregnant and this time staying around exact revenge on the currently pregnant woman?

Oct 5, 2008, 08:33 AM

Because my ex is livid that I left her. She feels that I abandoned her, that I lied to her, and if I were to turn around and have this happen again and stay with the next girl, she would go off the chain.

However, Revenge is not what I'm looking towards, nor do I want to achieve it. My main concern is I want what's best for my would be daughter. My feelings on what would be best for my daughter is for her to be put up for adoption as I do not believe that her mother can handle this. But apparently since I can't legally do it if I take sole custody of the child, and since apparently it would be a waste of time to try to prove that my ex is an unfit mother, essentially I have two options A) I either pay child support, and take her for visitation/joint custody or B) her "fiance" *assuming she's not lying to me about that either* signs the birth certificate, and that's that. Would everyone agree on that?
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Because my ex is livid that I left her. She feels that I abandoned her, that I lied to her, and if I were to turn around and have this happen again and stay with the next girl, she would go off the chain.

However, Revenge is not what I'm looking towards, nor do I want to achieve it. My main concern is I want whats best for my would be daughter. My feelings on what would be best for my daughter is for her to be put up for adoption as I do not believe that her mother can handle this. But apparently since I can't legally do it if I take sole custody of the child, and since apparently it would be a waste of time to try to prove that my ex is an unfit mother, essentially I have two options A) I either pay child support, and take her for visitation/joint custody or B) her "fiance" *assuming she's not lying to me about that either* signs the birth certificate, and thats that. Would everyone agree on that?

No, not all aspects - it's actually against the law to list someone you know is not the father on a birth certificate.

I think when the child is born you request DNA testing and then decide where to go/what to do.

Oct 5, 2008, 08:44 AM

Well regardless then I have to sign the birth certificate *after a DNA test*. However, should she not put me on the birth certificate, what are the consequences of that?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 09:01 AM

You really really need to get a lawyer.

I'm not saying this because I think that you can't figure out what to do with help from people here; I'm saying it because I see what you're saying here, and can actually empathize with your situation a bit.

Folks, turn it around for JUST a minute. If HE were the girl that was pregnant, wanting to place the child for adoption because SHE wasn't ready to be a parent, and absolutely felt that the GUY was unfit---what would your answers be? Would they be the same?

Revival--showing someone to be an unfit mother is HARD. I honestly think that if you're trying to do things in the best interest of the child, and NOT to just get off the hook, you should drop the idea of the fiancé adopting your child. Leaving the child WITH the mother, if you truly feel her to be unfit, is like giving up if you don't get your way about adoption. A lawyer is going to tell you how you need to proceed, given the laws in your area, if you want to have the child NOT be with her mother--whether that means the child is in YOUR custody, or whether that means the child gets placed for adoption.

You need to understand, though--most guys do not get the bond that women have with their unborn children, and most PEOPLE don't think it's possible that a father could care more about a child--especially one as yet unborn--than the mother does. Getting a child taken away from its mother is extremely serious, and extremely hard to do. You will NEED a lawyer to even have a CHANCE at it.

As a birthparent myself, I can understand that adoption IS sometimes in the child's best interests, regardless the parents' personal issues.

Oct 5, 2008, 09:29 AM

That being said Synn who kind reasoning am I going to have to come to a lawyer with? MSN, Facebook, etc isn't going to be enough according to some on here. I need to have an ace up my sleeve so to speak. After her and I broke up I declined to go to the doctors with her for ultra sounds, and stuff like that which she will undoubtably turn around on me saying that I don't want to be a part of this child's life. How can I show that adoption could be the best possible option for this child?
    Pets Expert

Oct 5, 2008, 09:39 AM

Revival,

If you decide to try and determine that she's unfit, that's a very hard road to take. The proof you have is really nothing in a courts eyes.

The sad fact, she isn't a mother yet, she hasn't had the child, so how you can you prove her unfit when she hasn't even had a chance to show she's capapble of being a mother?

She may be an unfit human being, but that doesn't automatically make her an unfit mother.

That would be like saying "Bob's an unfit driver, he shouldn't be allowed to drive, even though he's never been behind the wheel of a car."

You really do need a lawyer. Get a free consultation, bring the proof you have, see if a lawyer thinks you have a chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I want to give up my baby for adoption [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have 2 kids.im pragnet with our third but we can't afford to raise another baby.so what do we have to do to give it up.

How do I give my son up for adoption to his mother and spouse [ 4 Answers ]

I am in a bad situation, fighting in court with my ex for over five years has tapped me of all recources and my judge is very biased toward woman. I have not seen my son in a year at this time and feel all I am doing is fighting a losing battle and in the end really screwing up my son in this tug o...

How can my friend give me full parental rights w/o adoption? [ 8 Answers ]

I am 23 years old, I live in Texas, and I have a friend that is pregnant - due Sept 2008. She has one child already, but wants to sign over full parental rights to me for the one she is currently carrying. I have talked to a lawyer about adoption but he says he doubts I would qualify because I am...

How Do I Give my baby's Father Full custody [ 2 Answers ]

I want to give my baby's dad full custody of our baby. What do I need to do

Adoption/full custody [ 3 Answers ]

I am marrying a man with two children. He is about to go to court to battle for full custody. When I marry him, and he has full custody, will I be able to adopt the children or will the mother have to give up parental rights?

View more questions Search