Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marqthis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Female Pup showing dominance by peeing
    I have a 5 month old puppy who is potty trained, however lately she will pee almost as a sign of dominance. For example she will jump up on the couch... where she is not supposed to be and pee or just today in the car she peed. It almost seems like she is doing this to mark her territory. She is not fixed yet, that happens next month but don't know what to do??
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 05:24 PM

Peeing in any form is really not for reasons of dominance. Being territorial is a bit different. There are many reasons a potty trained puppy will pee. Are you sure it's not because she's excited? Or submissive?

Start feeding her some of her food on a plate where she's been peeing. Dogs do not like to make bathrooms of their dining room tables.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 1, 2008, 08:28 AM

There is no such thing as a puppy of 5 months that is PROOFED in potty training.

This peeing that your dog is doing is proof that she's not ready to be trusted as a dog that is potty trained.

Unless she's ill... she is showing you that she still needs as little trust as she had the day she came into your home as an untrained pup.

Quite honestly it doesn't matter WHY she's doing it.. it's THAT she's doing it. She is in the midst of starting a bad habit. The longer you don't take this serious the longer it has a chance of becoming a habit... habits take a little longer to break.

Just go back to the beginning process that you had when you began potty training her.

She's still at the onset of learning... clearly.

Good luck. And don't concern yourself w/ the "why's" just focus on the "when"... so she can be done w/ in that respect...

A puppy generally is trustworty by the 8th month.. and that is only if the dog has had CONSISTENT training and consequence sequences... (I'm a trainer of over 10 years... ).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Showing Dominance [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering how men show dominance? What kinds of words / tricks do they do?

Pregnant female Pom is she showing signs she will deliver soon? [ 20 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I'm new to this site but it seems to be very helpful after reading through some of the other threads. I have a female Pomeranian who is preggy and I believe after calculating will be delivering sometime between now and the and of January. Yesterday while playing with her outside I...

Hdd not showing in disk management but showing in device manager [ 1 Answers ]

I have my friend's hdd which crashed few daz ago then I connected it to my PC as slave but now its in the device manager and bios though not showing in MY COMPUTER,DISK MANAGEMENT.. help

Dominance urinating? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 dogs, a 7 year old male Cocker Spaniel, a 4 year old female Weimaraner, and a 2 Year old male Wiemaraner, all in excellent health. The problem is with the Cocker Spaniel (Jack) and the male Wiem (Tucker). The male Cocker has been the undisputed pack leader since Tucker join our family,...

Dog dominance aggression [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old fixed male golden retriever. My problem is he is become increasing dominant aggressive with my and my teen boys. (Never with my husband though). He will take things (usually a remote or phone) and run behind a bed, couch, TV etc. When I reach in to try to get the...

View more questions Search