Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Sep 30, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Tourettes Syndrome
    I was recently diagnosed with Tourettes after having a seizure. Are seizures common for people with Tourettes? Doesn't seem like it from what I have read. It may have been caused by something else, I do not have epilepsy.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 03:15 PM

The coexistence of these 2 conditions is possible, but a biochemical link between them is not known yet.

Tourette syndrome is a condition associated with repetitive tics that can not be controlled by the patient. Despite some advancements in the understanding of its pathophysiology, the exact biochemical pathways involved in the generation of these tics are still not very well known.

The current information points to a potential role of some of the dopaminergic pathways in this condition for the basal ganglia in the brain. These pathways are not known to be playing any major role in the generation of seizures and epilepsy. Because the neurotransmitters most probably involved in the generation of seizures are GABA and various glutamate receptor neurotransmitters (such as NMDA, AMPA,. ). Moreover the treatment of this syndorme is quite different than the treatment of epilepsy. One of the therapetic agents used in Tourette is Haloperidol that blocks the Dopamine D2 receptor, but has no activity on seizures.

Your doctor diagnose you with tourettes after your seizure?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    The coexistence of these 2 conditions is possible, but a biochemical link between them is not known yet.

Tourette syndrome is a condition associated with repetitive tics that can not be controlled by the patient. Despite some advancements in the understanding of its pathophysiology, the exact biochemical pathways involved in the generation of these tics are still not very well known.

The current information points to a potential role of some of the dopaminergic pathways in this condition for the basal ganglia in the brain. These pathways are not known to be playing any major role in the generation of seizures and epilepsy. Because the neurotransmitters most probably involved in the generation of seizures are GABA and various glutamate receptor neurotransmitters (such as NMDA, AMPA,...). Moreover the treatment of this syndorme is quite different than the treatment of epilepsy. One of the therapetic agents used in Tourette is Haloperidol that blocks the Dopamine D2 receptor, but has no activity on seizures.

Could you please site your sources?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Oct 1, 2008, 06:39 AM

My Neurologist diagnosed me with Tourettes after a few appointments and EEG's, just haven't figured out what caused the seizure which I would like to avoid in the future of course.

Liz - thanks for the answer, are you really that knowledgeable on the subject? I read about it and a lot of that seemed familiar. I appreciate your help.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post

The current information points to a potential role of some of the dopaminergic pathways in this condition for the basal ganglia in the brain. These pathways are not known to be playing any major role in the generation of seizures and epilepsy. Because the neurotransmitters most probably involved in the generation of seizures are GABA and various glutamate receptor neurotransmitters (such as NMDA, AMPA,...). Moreover the treatment of this syndorme is quite different than the treatment of epilepsy. One of the therapetic agents used in Tourette is Haloperidol that blocks the Dopamine D2 receptor, but has no activity on seizures.

You appear to be quoting something - would you please post what it is in accordance with the rules of AMHD - Do not post copyrighted content unless you are the copyright owner? Otherwise your advice is without value.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 02:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Could you please site your sources?
    That source is from school. I went and am going back to school after I have my baby in January 2009. Given my due date, I hope I have my child before school starts but I understand it might not happen that way, however, I don't mind starting late because the school is aware of my situation.

I finish college years ago but I don't like the major I choose. Maybe if I was smarted I would have choosing something else and in return my parents got mad because of the money they spent on college.

A few years later I went back to school for medical assistant and once I finish, and took out loans, I realize again it was a waste of money because I could've took up nursing.

Eventually, I went back to college for nursing and a minor in biology at Mount Saint Vincent College. Here I realized I was fianal doing something I enjoy and glad I took that step. One of teacher was a neurologist and he always explain conditions in deept and quoted books. After being in his class I wanted to be a neurobiologist but I will finish what I started because I only have 1 year left. I currently work in the medical field as a medical assistand in a group practice and just can't wait to finish.
    Joshua.H. Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2010, 01:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amricca View Post
    I was recently diagnosed with Tourettes after having a seizure. Are seizures common for people with Tourettes? Doesn't seem like it from what I have read. It may have been caused by something else, I do not have epilepsy.
    I have Tourettes, and I have never had a seizure... as far as I know. I shake my head all the time and grunt occasionally and that is about it. I do not know of a link between Tourettes and seizures, but I guess it is plausible.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2010, 04:55 AM

This thread is from 2008 - long dead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restless Leg Syndrome [ 11 Answers ]

Hello. My daddy doesn't have the time so Im asking for him. HE says he gets restless leg syndrome every once and awhile and would like to know what causes restless leg syndrome? Thank you.

Tourette's Syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

My father and I have Tourette's so I can only assume it's a genetic thing. The only good thing about it our syndrome is that it's not anything violent. Just a series of annoying tics and gestures and whatnot. Whether it be blinking, moving my ears, expanding my nostrils, raising my eyebrows, it...

Cushings syndrome [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently had cortisol level come back too high, so doctor ordered a 24 hour urine cortisol test that came back at 390 which is a bit out of the normal range, I have all symptoms of Cushings, such as middle obesity, irregular periods, Male pattern hair growth, milk production (never...

De George Syndrome [ 11 Answers ]

I am a psychotherapist who has a patient who has been diagnosed with "De George Syndrome". I am looking for information concerning the symptoms and the management as well as prognosis of the syndrome.

Nesting Syndrome [ 2 Answers ]

Ok so as many of you know I am 23 weeks pregnant with my third child, this pregnancy has had a lot of ups and downs (bleeding about five times during the first trimester, now placentia previa in the second) I can only imagine what the third trimester will bring. But, I thought I would take a few...

View more questions Search