Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dandi366 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Tax rate on Inherited Real Estate Property sold in Ecuador
    Hello,
    Wondering how much income tax I will pay on the sale of a real estate property in Ecuador?
    The property is listed at $500,000.00, and is an inheritance. I am a US citizen.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 02:11 PM

The sale will be considered a capital gain to you, so the tax owed depends on the difference between the sale price (after expenses) and your cost basis. Inherited property has a cost basis equal to its fair market value on the date of death of the person you inherited it from. So it's important to know what that figure is. The tax rate on capital gains for most people is currrently 15%.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 01:04 AM

ebaines is correct.
    1. You will report the sale on Schedule D (Form 1040). The capital gain is long term capital gain irrespective of when you inherited it.
    2. Your cost basis is the fair market value of the property on the date of death.
    3. If you paid any taxes on this sale in Ecuador, you will file Form 1116 to claim foreign tax credit. Thus you may owe little taxes in the U.S. return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 10:36 AM
    To further expound on this issue, because of the stepped-up basis cited by ebaines, it is likely that you will owe NOTHING when everything is said and done, because you will add to the basis the costs of the sale, to include the sales commission paid to the agent.

I have done multiple Schedules D for such sales, and it is not unusual at all for the sale of an inherited property to actually produce a paper LOSS when the costs of the sale is factored in.
    dandi366 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. It was exactly what I needed to know.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 2, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 1 Answers ]

I see many other questions on this topic, but none to my exact situation. I am curious how this works. My sister and I jointly inherited a property of our late aunt in CT which was valued (and filed estate-wise) at $650,000. As the property required much work before the sale, we invested over...

Property damaged by Katrina, inherited and now sold [ 3 Answers ]

How do I determine the taxes owed on property sold that was severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina? The house was flooded by Katrina's storm surge, and my father lost his life that day. The estate has closed and my sister and I inherited the property. Prior to the storm the home FMV was...

Inherited Property Being Sold- Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My father died and left property in trust for my mother, my brother and I. (40 years ago.) My mother dies in 1989, and the property transferred to my brother and I. The trust was dissolved in 1994. I have paid taxes on this property continuously. The property value has increased 10x. It...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

Taxes on inherited property sold [ 0 Answers ]

My siblings and I inherited our parents house after their death. It was in poor condition. We had it appraised for $132,000 and sold it for $125,000. Do we owe any federal income tax on it? All I have read so far indicates that we do not. But, how to we file, since the mortgage company that...

View more questions Search