Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stubits Posts: 390, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2008, 11:47 AM
    New Exterior Door Threshold
    We have a door entering our basement from the exterior of the house. A threshold was never installed and as such, there is a gap, approximately 3/4" between the floor and the bottom of the door that is allowing bugs to enter the home (not to mention the cold pretty soon). Of course I'd like to install a threshold to alleviate these problems.

The only concern I have is how best to attach the threshold to the floor. The flooring surface is ceramic tile on top of the house concrete slab. Would it be possible to attach the threshold with construction adhesive? The alternative, I suppose, would involve drilling through the tile and then using a different bit to drill into the concrete, right? If so, would I use tapcons?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 12:11 PM

All of the above. I think you can glue with construction adhesive or use tapcon. Be sure to lay down pressure treated lumber.

Sep 30, 2008, 12:14 PM

Great. I am actually thinking about using one of the aluminum thresholds as I am not sure wood would look good in this application. Suppose I can paint it though, we'll see.

Think I'll go with the adhesive, less chance of cracking the tiles, plus the slab is a bear to drill through, it's so old!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 12:17 PM

If you go aluminim I'd still lay a wood palte first to have a large surface area for the glue, screw the aluminim to the plate.

Sep 30, 2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks, great idea.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 12:27 PM

I did a threshold using an odd attachment method. The basement doo might get a lot of abuse.

I found anchors that are studs, so the more you tighten them the tighter they get because it pulls from the bottom. You just have to make sure they are deep enough.

The "nuts" I found were equally as weird. They looked like countersunk screws that were female threaded.

Worked like a champ.

The only other thing I did since the frame was wood and did get wet prior to the threshold install that I had to do some mending there. I used some brown painted flashing since the frame was redwood stained. So, I created an approximate 3" moulding at the bottom sides using painted flashing.

Sep 30, 2008, 12:31 PM

Fascinating solution.

The only person who really uses the basement door is my mother-in-law, so not too worried about high traffic.

I am going to give it a go with the adhesive, but if it fails, I'll give your method a try!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 05:09 PM

Install a aluminum, adjustable threshold using construction adhesive and the anchors shown in this thread. After drilling the screw holds in aluminum threshold, use a hammer and a masonary nail to break the glaze of the tile, then drill the tile and concrete with the included drill bit.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/constr...ld-170583.html
    bc555 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Good answers above. Polyurethane glue (in a caulk type tube) or similar in caulking is sticky (and expands so brace it down), wash away any dust on cement letting dry and put glue on bottom of threshold where it will contact concrete. If using anchors you have to match the anchor to the screw best suited for the threshold, like # 12 flathead maybe, the smaller type lead anchors sometimes don't hold (hence speculation), plastic anchor may be OK to hold it down enough for glue to set it in place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing an adjustable door threshold [ 21 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to install an adjustable door threshold in a basement on a concrete slab. This is what the threshold looks like: Find Adjustable Sill Inswing, 36" and other Door Thresholds & Sweeps at Aubuchon Hardware It's a standard threshold that you see a lot these days. However, I will be...

Waterproof an exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. I have a door at my home that I need to make watertight. It's an outside wood door and twice in the last year there has been a lot of rain & caused about one foot deep water in my back yard for a couple of hours. Does someone know what would be a good procedure? Any help would be greatly...

32 exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So I need to make this fit. Where can I get another 2 inches at ? Should I rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the...

New door and jamb? EXTERIOR [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1920"s stucco home. They still have I believe, possibly the original doors. My wife wants new doors,so do I. I want to attempt to buy replacement doors with jams attached. I didn't remove anything yet,but measured jam thickness of old doors. It is larger then doors at Home Depot. ...

Paint exterior door [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my exterior door which is a metal plate on a wooden door. Before painting, I striped the old paint, sanded, cleaned, and primed the door. I then used a brush to apply a good latex exterior paint. When the paint dried it looks like it had "water spots" all over the door. ...

View more questions Search