Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BHarathi Raja Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 12:53 AM
    Why is christ still left on the crucifix
    Jesus had been crucified for very short span yet why is he portrayed as the one attached to the crucifix?
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Sep 30, 2008, 08:36 AM

I think it's kind of like an altar for people. Since jesus was sacrificed on a tree, they think the tree is holy, because the blood of jesus was spilled on it. So they symbolize that altar with a crucifix. I don't accept that method of worship, because it is idolatrous.
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Sep 30, 2008, 10:06 AM

I think it's because of what it symbolizes.. that Jesus died for our sins, and we are forgiven for enternity.. it's almost a reminder.. to remember what he did for us..
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarathi Raja View Post
    Jesus had been crucified for very short span yet why is he protrayed as the one attached to the crucifix?
    For the same reason he is portrayed with children, laughing or any other of his acts.

... and for the same reason some have a picture on their wall of a loved one doing something that he or she did.

It's a symbol to help us remember.

NOT an altar as another has suggested...
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plonak View Post
    I think it's because of what it symbolizes.. that Jesus died for our sins, and we are forgiven for enternity.. it's almost a reminder.. to remember what he did for us..
    But keep in mind that a dead messiah on the cross does not give us any hope - it is through the resurrected Messiah that we have hope.

1 Cor 15:13-14
    But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen.
    And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
    NKJV

The sysmbol of the hope that we have in Christ through the forgiveness of sins is the empty cross.

Sep 30, 2008, 04:11 PM

Galveston1: sometimes I kiss tombs. Jk
    saintjoan Posts: 36, Reputation: 6

Sep 30, 2008, 10:11 PM

Jesus is no longer on the cross.
    Luke 24:6 He is not here, but is risen:

His atonement is finished.
    John 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: (Literally paid in full)and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
    Hebrews 7:26-27 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.
    Hebrews 9:27-28 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was onceoffered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
    Hebrews 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    Hebrews 10:12 But this man, after he had offered onesacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
    Hebrews 10:14 For by oneoffering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Therefore any portrayal of Jesus still on the cross brings shame to our Savior.
    Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Sep 30, 2008, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjoan View Post

Hebrews 9:27-28 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was onceoffered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
    Hebrews 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    Hebrews 10:12 But this man, after he had offered onesacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
    Hebrews 10:14 For by oneoffering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Looking at this passage makes me think the translators didn't quite get the meaning of the entire passage, with their interpretation of jesus appearing without sin.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjoan View Post
    Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
    Repentance being the key of this passage, that they would not have fallen away, but the christians would have been freed from sin, as the former passage should have been translated. Let me know if you agree?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2008, 01:51 PM

It is a matter of what aspect of Christianity a denomination or a person wants to emphasize.

1. *Christ sacrificed* and dead. Died for our sins.

2. *Christ risen*. Christ was able to rise above sin and death and triumph.

Traditionally, Catholics wear a crucifix.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 04:48 PM

Actually most christians if you look at numbers in denominations use Crucifix, Anglican churches, All of the Orthodox churches, the Catholics including the eastern rite Catholics.

But it is merely a symbol, it shows that Christ died for our sins, why would anyone not accept that.
    I guess some do because the catholics do it, that is enough reason to hate it for many.
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2008, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Actually most christians if you look at numbers in denominations use Crucifix, Anglican churches, All of the Orthodox churches, the Catholics including the eastern rite Catholics.
    Actually most members of churches. Remember, not everyone who is a member of a church is a Christian. And even if it is most Christians, since when are we to establish what is right and wrong based upon what the majority believes or does?

But it is merely a symbol, it shows that Christ died for our sins, why would anyone not accept that.
    Because scripture says that the symbol of Christ's victory is a resurrected Messiah.

I guess some do because the catholics do it, that is enough reason to hate it for many.
    Sigh! This gets very tiring after a while. Turning this around the other way, every time that a Catholic disagrees with a non-Catholic, should we assume it is because Catholics hate non-Catholics? Can we just not accept the fact that we don't agree without attributing hateful motives to every disagreement?

Oct 1, 2008, 05:32 PM

The history of the cross goes back before jesus was born. The catholics have their own history, which merged parts of religion current at the time, with that of the jewish/gentile christian religion.
    addaddadd Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Jesus had been crucified for very short span yet why is he protrayed as the one attached to the crucifix?
    That's a catholic practice. Ask yourself, if your love ones died in a cross do you want to make an image see him hanging in a cross, helpless, and dying.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Because we preach Christ crucified:

1 Corinthians 1 23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews indeed a stumblingblock, and unto the Gentiles foolishness:

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria View Post
    Because we preach Christ crucified:

1 Corinthians 1 23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews indeed a stumblingblock, and unto the Gentiles foolishness:

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Interesting. We preach Christ crucified and resurrected.

And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
    NKJV
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Interesting. We preach Christ crucified and resurrected.

NKJV
    So do we. But the question regards why Christ is represented on the Crucifix.

If the question had been why we also venerate the Cross. The answer would be, because the Cross, which was previously a symbol of man's cruelty to man is now a symbol of Jesus victory over death. Jesus has transformed the Cross from a symbol of evil and death to a symbol of love and life.

In fact, not only do we remember Jesus Crucifixion and Resurrection. We also commemorate His conception, His birth, His childhood, His ministry, His preaching and His passion. Every aspect of His life on earth and in heaven.

So, what was your point?

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2008, 01:27 PM
    So do we. But the question regards why Christ is represented on the Crucifix.
    It was why Jesus is depicted on the cross, when He is in fact not on the cross, and when it is His resurrection that validated the gospel.

Oct 4, 2008, 11:59 PM

Myself, I can't hold onto an image of a cross, or a crucifix, because I believe jesus is alive with god. I don't really know what they look like, but the holy spirit teaches me, and so an image of something past, or something inanimate, is not part of my faith.
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    It was why Jesus is depicted on the cross, when He is in fact not on the cross, and when it is His resurrection that validated the gospel.
    You must be thinking of a different thread. This is the OP verbatim:

Jesus had been crucified for very short span yet why is he portrayed as the one attached to the crucifix?
    The Catholic answer is, "Because we preach Christ crucified."

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2008, 05:43 PM
    You must be thinking of a different thread. This is the OP verbatim:
    Which is what I said.

The Catholic answer is, "Because we preach Christ crucified."

Now this is turning circular, because as I pointed out, the true Messiah and the gospel is validated only by the resurrected Christ.

1 Cor 15:13-15
    13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ is not risen. 14 And if Christ is not risen, then our preaching is empty and your faith is also empty.
    NKJV

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the meaning of christ in hebrew [ 23 Answers ]

What is the meaning (definition) of christ in hebrew

Birth of Jesus Christ [ 11 Answers ]

When was Jesus Christ born ?

Casket crucifix [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a crucifix at a yard sale. I was told it was a crucifix from a casket. I am reluctant to bring it into my house until I know its safe from unwanted spirits. My questions are... can spirits, good or bad, attach themselves to a religious object? Should I have it blessed? Any help will be...

Words of Christ Book [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether a book with ONLY the words of Christ, As are provided in the Bible red letter editions. A book with only The Words of Christ and their Bible locations.

About Jesus Christ [ 8 Answers ]

In which ways is and or was worshipped and what was the impact the death had on his respective religion?

View more questions Search