Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damdash Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Does the size difference in a starter matter
    My starter went bad on my 98 gmc yukon 5.7 350. The one I was sold from az is noticeably smaller and lighter than the one that came off. The sound of it starting is a little different too. Does or will the size matter later on?

Also, when you rotate the pulley does it up at tdc every time you hit the mark on the timing chain cover?
    ddollinger Posts: 145, Reputation: 12

Sep 30, 2008, 10:14 AM

Physical size does not matter. When I last changed my starter I spent the extra $$$ and bought one rated as Heavy Duty. It was about half the size in diameter and about an inch shorter then the stock starter. What matters is the amps which will be marked on a tag on the starter.

As far as your 2nd questions goes the short answer is "NO". Your crankshaft turns 2 revolutions for every 1 revolution the camshaft turns so if you are on TDC and turn the crank one revolution so the marks are lined up again you will be off 180 degrees. What this means is you will be on the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breast size: Does it matter to you [ 64 Answers ]

Hay, I've always wondered if us guys are majoritively more turned on by large tits or small ones as a matter of opinion. As far as I am concerned though I would perfer small ones, less to handle and I think they look far better when they are smaller and petite. And for you girls, do you think...

Does Size Matter? [ 44 Answers ]

OK, this is an age old question for the ladies... Does the size of the male organ matter? What in your opinion is the optimum size?

Size doesn't matter! [ 22 Answers ]

A mother and father take their 6-year old son to a nude beach in Mexico. As the boy walks along the sand, he notices that many of The women have boobs bigger than his mother's, so he asked his Mother why. She tells her son, "The bigger they are, the sillier the lady is.

Does the age difference matter? [ 27 Answers ]

I am female and 21, I'm in love with a 16 year old male who also loves me. We have grown up together and we are Christians and attend our local church. At the moment we are unsure if we should tell people. My parents know about the situation but his don't. Therefore we are a secret and have been...

Does age difference matter sexually? [ 5 Answers ]

I am 34 and my live in boyfriend is 43. Sex with us has never been a 5 days a week kind of situation (we have only been together for 5 months). Now.. if I had my choice it would be everyday! But long story short is that sex just is not important to him. He says it never has been.(when we first met...

View more questions Search